Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting this in General as I don't think there's enough meat on the bones to put in either Reviews or Sessions - let me know if I'm wrong about that.

I just played this last night for the first time, the other 3 players were also brand new to the game too. The other 3 players are not wargamers, I am, but I tend towards lighter wargames. We treated it as a learning game and didn't finish it, but here are some initial thoughts:

- for simplicities sake we played the basic game with the addition of instant tech upgrades.

- 3 of the 4 players loved it. The one who didn't love it still enjoyed the game. I think the reason she didn't love it was she's not crazy about so much conflict. Although you might spend a good chunk of the game exploring, colonizing and developing tech it is for the ultimate goal of crushing your enemies. This is a wargame after all.

- after the first 3 turn sequence we barely looked at the rules. The system was very intuitive and simple.

- the record keeping was minimal and actually kind of fun (how to spend those CP's...). If there are things that you think will turn you off of this game, don't let this be one of them, it's just not a big deal.

- the fog of war created by ships/fleets that are hidden until combat created great tension. Wasn't I surprised when my cruiser and scout came across a battle cruiser with upgraded attack & defence tech (and subsequently blasted my ships to pieces).

- after finishing up I kept thinking about the game for the next couple of hours, thinking of how it unfolded, what strategies I could have chosen, how different choices may have worked out. For me this post game analysis is a sign of a great game.

Based on this I can't wait to get this on the table again and will probably play the 1 player scenarios. I've pre-ordered the expansion and think, from what I've read of it, it will make a great game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have caught the bug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
Sounds like you have caught the bug!

Have I ever. This game is better than I thought it would be, and I expected it to be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
I'm so glad you enjoyed the game! My reaction to playing it is exactly the same.

When playing with 3 or 4 players, I recommend playing teams at least until you become completely familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I can see playing in teams when you're first starting out would be useful. Having said that, 4 on 4 was really fun. Of course I committed the sin of starting a war on 2 fronts, thinking that my opponents would not be so well prepared for it. Probably best we didn't finish as I have a hunch who would've been the first knocked out...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Teams is surprisingly fun (it also works as a great way to teach new people). It has gotten to the point where I will almost always play teams, not only for the fun, but because it is so much faster - we can play two games in one sitting that way.

Disclaimer - you probably won't be able to do that until you've played a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.