haedrian apellon
msg tools
Hi peeps !
so i m not a big big boardgame player but i do enjoy playin at times with my friends ... of course since we dont play often , it s sucks if the game takes forever to explain or to play, but we are a bunch of 25years-ish old people so it gets boring if its too easy or really too simple, or too much relied on luck (not that there is absolutely no luck factor , luck is always a little part in everygame but you know what i mean : if it s only about rolling dice again and again , it is kind of well , whoever is lucky with dice wins .. )

now i got puerto rico , but somehow it s too serious and complex so it never really is fun to play with some friends, it s always a hassle for everyone to get it right , and it gets anoying pretty quick .. i d like a game with more intereaction , cause the purpouse of playing boardgame to me is having fun , and talk with friends and stuff .... if i want something really serious with tones of rules , i ll just go play a videogame that match the complexity , i mean a good rts or something...

there are way too many games out there , so i got a hard time to find out wich one would be best to buy for christmas ....i ll be glad to have some recommendations from pros

here is a list of games that i m doing research on, and seems to qualify .. but i m not quite sure yet if they meet the expectations i mentioned , cause i ve only read some reviews about them :

- Kremlin
- pandemic
- Small World
- the fury of Dracula

thanks

--- edit :
thanks everyone, lot of cool games , they all look great , but after a little look into all of them , seems to me that its gonna be 1 or 2 of those one:

-King of tokyo
-Cosmic encounter
-Smash up
-Citadels
-saboteur
-galaxy truker
-the resistance ( eventhough i m not sure i really need the game , seems similar to werewolf/mafia )
-Zombicide
-small world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get king of Tokyo. A lot of fun and interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur and maybe Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions).

Fun, supports a wide number of players, and it is engaging for new gamers as well as long time gamers. It supports young and old. I've played with 6 year olds and seventy year olds.

This games meets your requirements. So long as by complex enough to mean that it brings enough to the table to make you and others want to play again and maybe again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely look at Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Lots of interaction and very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of you are there in this bunch?

edit: p.s. welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
Paris Connection - very simple rules. plays fast and mean. good strategic depth. 30-45 minutes.
Bohnanza - light hearted card game with social strategy. ~1 hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
Philippines
Cainta
Rizal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kremin is awesome but currently out of print. It'll run you about 2-3 hours too, and the front end of explaining the game can be awfully tough. It's really great, and very funny, but maybe not what you're looking for.

Pandemic is a solid game that for me needed more variety. We played a LOT for a couple years, and then it lost all interest for us. I know a lot of other people love it. It's a little more "serious," but it's pretty light.

Small World is great, and might be what you're after. I wouldn't say it's "hilarious" or anything, but it's straightforward and quick while still being satisfying. I would recommend picking up the small expansions, as they are all great.

Fury of Dracula is a magnificent game, but will probably be too long and complex for what you want. It's actually rather dark and leisurely-paced, and it's more about building tension over a 3 hour period. Great game though.

Here, I can end this conversation right now:

BUY COSMIC ENCOUNTER.

I'm not even kidding. It sounds like exactly what you want. It's pretty straightforward, insanely interactive, and very different every time. The expansions are all terrific, but you don't need any of them to enjoy it.Yes, there is luck. But the game is much more about playing the other players than it is about playing the game. I can also say that it's easily the funniest game I've played that isn't a straight-up party game. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: I could get rid of all of my games if I was still allowed to keep Cosmic Encounter and all the expansions. I sometimes wonder why I bother playing anything else at all.

I'm really serious. It's the best game for what you seem to be looking for. (King of Tokyo is great too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy, fun, relatively quick, and tons of replay value.

Carcassonne---my wife's a saint, yet even she brings the screwage when playing this one

Lost Cities---excellent 2p card game meeting your criteria

Pandemic---you're right to be considering this one; excellent game, easy to jump right back in once you get the rules down

Archaeology: The Card Game---fun game; the video reviews will tell you all you need to know

TransAmerica---meets your criteria, perhaps too easy for some folks on here

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age---plays a little like Yahtzee, but much more interesting and meaningful. worth a look.

The Dwarf King---a trick taking game, so like a gamer's version of Spades (though I like Spades a lot)

Citadels---not too complicated and the screwage creats lol moments. feels good to knife your loved ones in the back

Chronicle---another trick taking game worth a look

Battle Line---easy but meaningful 2p game; fun and very competitive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Light games with enough depth to be interesting:

Pandemic
Bohnanza
The Resistance
Stone Age
Battle Line
Tichu
Coloretto (although this one is barely deep enough for me)
Dominion (I feel like this game surged here and now nobody likes to mention it, but it's a good game with plenty of expansions to keep it fresh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haedrian apellon
msg tools
thanks , hum usually we are 4 but other time around 6ish..

ps: i actually checked this BGG several times in the past couple of years ... but i never bothered really opening an account or anything before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played kremlin or FoD.

Pandemic is easy to learn and reasonably quick, but it's sort of the opposite of fun and hilarious. And I say that as someone who likes the game.

Small World may be closer to what you want; players all play different races and slaughter each other, which is fun and hilarious if your players enjoy that sort of interaction (some people just hate that type of game).

My top rec would be Galaxy Trucker. One of the few board games that always leaves people at the table laughing, and incredibly fun, even just to watch. Only downside is it's a 4-player max game, unless you have the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that I enjoy that I think fit what you're looking for are Revolution! and The Red Dragon Inn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
Light games with enough depth to be interesting:

Pandemic
Bohnanza
The Resistance
Stone Age
Battle Line
Tichu
Coloretto (although this one is barely deep enough for me)
Dominion (I feel like this game surged here and now nobody likes to mention it, but it's a good game with plenty of expansions to keep it fresh)

Seconded except for Pandemic - I'm not a fan but I also don't think it's what you're looking for. If you can only pick 2 games out of this list, then I highly recommend Bohnanza and Dominion.

I also second Citadels for high interaction. Survive : Escape from Atlantis has too much luck for my liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for Zombicide...

There's not a lot of humor in it, but it gets a lot of plays with my game group of guys about the same age.

Plus I think the rules are simple enough once you get how the system works, and you get to fight zombies...

Enough said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Th.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small world and fury of dracula will definatively give you interaction.
I also like King of Tokyo and Saboteur.

Something that is less known, but is a hoot, is Infarkt. It is considered to be a party game, but has some worker placement in it, so not too light imo.

Another one for me would be Kill Doctor Lucky, also lots of interaction.

Edit: typo (stupid autocorrect)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.