Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I love Swiss Army Knives. I've carried one with me for two-thirds of my life. I use one almost every day. For over twenty years I carried the Classic SD:
It's got a blade, scissors, a nail file (really a flathead screwdriver), tweezers, and a toothpick. It's on my keys. Though the blade is a critical tool, the scissors are what makes the magic happen.

A few months ago, though the power of idle Googling, I discovered SAKWiki. It's the motherlode of SAK geekery, and would be perfect if only there was a search engine for specific tools. While clicking on literally every single listing there I found:
Hello! Where have you been all my life? I met the Rambler, which is a Classic SD with the addition of a Phillips SD/bottle opener/wire stripper combo tool. I immediately made the change to the Rambler. After twenty years with the same knife in my pocket I could discern the extra heft, but in my high-intensity lifestyle bottles will be opened. I couldn't be happier with the switch, and the Phillips has been useful multiple times already.

After agonizing pointlessly about it, I also bought a One Handed Trekker:
I keep it on my dresser and use it as a mobile repair kit. It's a much larger knife, being 111mm as opposed to the 58mm of the knives above. The most important tools lock. The main blade is scary sharp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Down in my tackle box I have the fisherman's model (complete with fish scaler) and then I have another one with textured metal outsides. I think there's an outlet a couple of towns over...I should check it out sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Handy little suckers, aren't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
Stupid question, perhaps, but can a guy get a Swiss Army knife without a blade? I love how handy the things are, but bringing a knife to work isn't kosher these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of this multi-tool with no knife: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Knifeless_Fuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Being an old sailor, I've always carried a Schrade Marlin Spike Knife. Never know when I have to spice some line. (could happen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
The French Army Knife:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

I've carried a SAK since I was old enough to be trusted with one. I've had various models and styles over the years, but the one I have now, the 91mm Tinker, is my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I carry a leatherman wave most of the time.

At work I often find myself entering buildings where you can't carry an actual pocket knife and so I also carry this on my keys.

The eyeglasses screwdriver on the keychain tool is a lifesaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have carried the Classic SD for about 10 years. I love it.

I have not had a problem carrying it to work.

Not to get off topic or move this to RSP, but I do think it is funny that most places view a 12" Phillips screwdriver as a tool but a 2.5 blade as a weapon. You can do a whole lot more damage with that SD if you wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of my Leatherman. I've been using one of these for about 5 years, and it's served my really well. Blade, pliers, wire cutter, screwdriver with 4 bits, bottle opener/carabiner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've carried different SAKs and multi-tools for most of my life, but didn't really geek out until I found the SAK with a built-in flash drive. That's now the one I carry with me everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't leave home without mine. I wish I had one where the corkscrew is replaced with a phillips screwdriver, but ah well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, there is a lightning deal for the next 2 hours on the swiss champion knife at amazon right now for 30.99. Not a bad deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KF4GG/ref=gb1h_img_c-3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
FYI, there is a lightning deal for the next 2 hours on the swiss champion knife at amazon right now for 30.99. Not a bad deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KF4GG/ref=gb1h_img_c-3...
I saved up may paperroute money to buy a Swiss Champ in the mid-1980s. I seem to remember it was about $70. It's a neat knife, but weighs about as much as a brick, and the heft makes some of the tools unwieldy to use. As such it's sat in my bowl-'o-crap that's on my dresser, and it sees use only once or twice a year. The glasses screwdriver is what is most used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the: Victorinox Signature Lite Pocket Knife

It is the basic small pocket knife, but adds a white LED light, and a pen:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Signature-Pocket-Sapp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
My walnut key. Take a pocket full of walnuts to snack on at work and this guy. Don't like to risk my regular keys on walnuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the miniature one on my key chain. Always using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
My walnut key. Take a pocket full of walnuts to snack on at work and this guy. Don't like to risk my regular keys on walnuts.
Can this one go on an airline?

For that matter, can anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years ago my wife got me this Sharper Image set for Christmas:

I carry the multi-tool everywhere that I go in jeans, but I carry a smaller, lighter tool (see below) when I'm wearing slacks. I currently have the carabiner attached to a thumb drive that's plugged into my laptop. The little LED flashlight is sitting on my night stand.

My only complaint about the tool is that when it's in "pliers mode", the edges of the outer casing are painful on the palm and fingers when you squeeze it with even moderate pressure. I often pad my hand with my handkerchief when using the pliers.

Here's the smaller one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
The Swiss are good with their tools and weapons. Look at this tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Down in my tackle box I have the fisherman's model (complete with fish scaler) and then I have another one with textured metal outsides. I think there's an outlet a couple of towns over...I should check it out sometime.

I am sure there is an outlet right in your very room you could stick your SAK into, but I wouldn't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is is that the springy-thing on the scissors is always the first thing to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Why is is that the springy-thing on the scissors is always the first thing to go?
I've never had that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have multiple SAKs around the house and have owned one since 1972 when I was 8 years old. Presently I have 2 Champs, my wife carries around a black Champ and the one I have been using the most lately is this one:

It is the Cyber model. The little socket has multiple doublesided screwdriver bits including Torx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.