Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J-P Latvala
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We just played our first game yesterday, it was very enjoyable and the game played fantastic!

Only thing we just didn't quite get was those areas that contains Illyria and Thraki markets. Can you move hoplites to that area and siege those two polis (Epidamnos and Abdera)? Or can you move through that area? Are those two polis (Epidamnos and Abdera) only available by moving proxenos and instigating civil war?

In my point of view the rules were pretty clear and I really liked the underlinings. It was very easy and quick way to check how some actions should be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for your comment (especially about the rules)!

They have no territory so they can only be taken by a civil war (Proxenos). No hoplites can move there.

Page 12 - "Move Proxenos"

As it can be checked in the map, there are two poleis which can only be reached by sea movement [by the Proxenos]: Epidamnos and Abdera (because they don’t have territory where the Proxenos might travel to them)

PS: Both polis are a good place to protect the Proxenos. He won't be captured (no possible siege) and the other Proxenos can't enter in the same polis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-P Latvala
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for your quick reply and correction!

Then we played it just right. And huge thanks for the great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
You can trade with Illyria and Thraki from the beginning of the game? You don't need to take Epidamnos or Abdera, I assume?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-P Latvala
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep, there's a trade route to those markets via sea
If you control Epidamnos or Abdera you can trade even if you don't have free sea route to those markets. In my mind thats the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
junnu11 wrote:
If you control Epidamnos or Abdera you can trade even if you don't have free sea route to those markets. In my mind thats the case.

Right! So:
Abdera is a good polis to be taken by Sparta (east) and Epidamnos by Athens (west).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas
Greece
Patras
Achaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me a question here , not absolutely relevant, just not sure if this has already been mentioned:
According to the rules, the Spartan, can only create Merchants in Gytheion and Pylos. Totally clear.
On the other hand, it is mentioned that if he loses these two cities, he can't trade at all(?)
Is this an absolute rule or it comes out of something that I have missed? Even if Spartan have many merchants, but he have missed Gytheion and Pylos, he can't trade at all?

PS: @Fran: From a Greek guy, absolute respect for making such a great game. A Masterpiece!! I wish much more people get to know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As stated in the 4th paragraph of the "Trade" section of rules, if Sparta losses both poleis he can't trade at all (he couldn't load the cargos). Even if he has the 8 merchants waiting in the middle of the sea. laugh

Thanks for your kind comments! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas
Greece
Patras
Achaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I thank for the instant reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
junnu11 wrote:

But even though you control one of those cities, you still can't trade if as Sparta you have your trading cities taken I guess?

And what if Athene looses the control on Kyclades, can it still trade via Epidamnos or Abdera? In the rules it says that every Athenian trade start by Kyclades, so I understand that those cities are an exception on that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
But even though you control one of those cities, you still can't trade if as Sparta you have your trading cities taken I guess?

Yes. If Sparta loses both trading cities she can't trade (it's like her merchants are not able to unload the cargo)

chaps357 wrote:
And what if Athene looses the control on Kyclades, can it still trade via Epidamnos or Abdera? In the rules it says that every Athenian trade start by Kyclades, so I understand that those cities are an exception on that point.

Yes. Athens can trade with Illyria and Thraki through Epidamnos and Abdera because she cannot lose her trading city (her capital Athenai)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot for clarifications!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.