Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a ? for every one. Who here has played World of Warcraft the board game and would it be worth it to trade my doom and exp for wow and exps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onimike wrote:
would it be worth it to trade my doom and exp for wow and exps?

NO!

NO!

NO!

pls, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
onimike wrote:
I have a ? for every one. Who here has played World of Warcraft the board game and would it be worth it to trade my doom and exp for wow and exps?

NO!. The only thing worth trading Doom and expac would be for Descent 1st ed with Road to legend and well of darkenss expac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW is a totally different game than Doom. It's not asymmetrical (3v1), it's not tactical (figures on a board with spaces), it's very long and can at time be very boring. As each side is building up for the end battle, some turns take 30+ minutes to complete. Half the players sit there twiddling their thumbs while the other side takes 30 minutes to complete their turn. In Doom, both sides are constantly engaged.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onimike wrote:

YES YES YES!

So you can sell me the Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2d20 wrote:
onimike wrote:

YES YES YES!

So you can sell me the Expansion

Hehehe, good point. It's "worth it" if you trade the game to me for WoW

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like Doom, but as it and the expansion are OOP they are bound to increase in value. Trading it for another mediocre game you might like is foolish. Check the BGG marketplace to see the current market value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks for the heads up every one cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hauser
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
I didn't like Doom, but as it and the expansion are OOP they are bound to increase in value. Trading it for another mediocre game you might like is foolish. Check the BGG marketplace to see the current market value.

I second this. If you're going to trade this, at least get something equally as sought after. Both the base and expansion regularly go for over $100 here in the marketplace. There isn't a game I don't already own that I would trade Doom for, love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Killed By Death wrote:

There isn't a game I don't already own that I would trade Doom for, love it!

I couldn't have said this better myself.

Additionally my group just recently finished a Descent 2 campaign, and my guess is that we won't be doing another one any time soon. We thought it was... not good. I never got to play Descent 1 very much, but I do own about everything available for it. If I had to choose one from among those three, there's no doubt that Doom would be the one to keep.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
Killed By Death wrote:

Additionally my group just recently finished a Descent 2 campaign, and my guess is that we won't be doing another one any time soon. We thought it was... not good. I never got to play Descent 1 very much, but I do own about everything available for it. If I had to choose one from among those three, there's no doubt that Doom would be the one to keep.

Kevin

I would have to say I disagree. Descent 1st Ed would be my keeper. If only one mind you. I also love Doom though. 2nd ed of descent.. made me a sad panda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
underling wrote:
Killed By Death wrote:

Kevin

I would have to say I disagree. Descent 1st Ed would be my keeper. If only one mind you. I also love Doom though. 2nd ed of descent.. made me a sad panda.

Yeah, we were really disappointed with a lot of the D2 quests.
Hopefully with more expansions it'll start to shine a little more.

With respect to D1, I don't have nearly the play experience, so I'm probably not giving it a fair chance. But from what I've seen of it versus both Doom and D2, Doom seems to have an edge (or rawness) and "non-fiddliness" that both of the Descents don't have. It's hard to describe, but it just seems to flow a little quicker and a little better.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kevin.
I own Doom + exp and a friend Descent 1. For some reason, i can't stand Descent more than 1 play in 4 months. The most notably difference i always see is how much the Marine's players discuss what to do every turn, compared to the almost "mechanical" behavious we have in Descent.
I think it's a matter of how character customization works... in Descent you're pretty much "forced" to do the same things.

Then, Doom have some more..... groove (pace? rythm? i don't have the right word, sorry). It flows, it is frantic "by design" (i remember only a scenario in Descent where you're forced to run 'cause the dungeon collapse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Then, Doom have some more..... groove (pace? rythm? i don't have the right word, sorry).

"Urgency" would be the word I'd recommend. (And I agree!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I agree with both of you.
And "(with) urgency" is a good description of how the marine players have to play.

I've experienced this in almost every game of Doom I've played.
Not nearly as much in either version of Descent.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.