West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a two player game with my son today and we seemed to be doing really well. We played the base game, he used the red and blue teams and I used the yellow and purple teams.

In the first location 'Core Cogitator' we were able to pick away at the genestealers quite easily by using the control panel to limit the genestealers spawning on the red area. This technique saved us on three separate occasions. By mid way through area 2 (The Teleportarium) we had a support token on each marine which allowed us to clear the blip piles and head for the penultimate location, 'The Hibernation Cluster' without having to roll the die to see if any of them were lost in the transport. We put 8 genestealers into each blip pool and were feeling confident when the tide of the game suddenly turned against us, wery quicky and very cruelly.

We hit one bad turn after another. Causing a major and minor spawn on the same side of the formation which merged to create a four "mega-swarm" at the base of the formation and the space marine in that area of the formation was flanked. Finally, to make this the perfect storm, we had very few attacking options due to playing attack cards in the previous round. Then I made what was probably the 'fatal call' I moved brother Claudio with a support token in to face down the four 'mega-spawn'. Claudio was slain, but we had to keep going and now one of the blip piles was empty so we headed into the Genestealer's lair. Well, this was not the card to pull when we had a mega spawn on one side of the formation and the next event card created a three genestealer grouping on the opposite side. So we were facing down two swarms one had 5 and the other 4 including the pesky broodlords. The next couple of turns were crucial. If we could cut the two swarms down to size we might just be able to pull off a win. However, our two key attack cards for the red and the purple teams were not available and whilst yellow reduced the top swarm by one and Sergeant Lorenzo miraculously rolled a 5 to avoid death, his blue team colleague at the base of the formation was not so lucky. So we were down to six marines, but we had those two key attack cards, back in hand. Another major spawn at the bottom of the formation was a real gut wrencher and that put 8 genestealers on our right. To the left we had a group of three with a broodlord and a single genestealer. Red played the attack card giving Brother Leon three attempts and he nailed all three. Brother Valencio dispatched the single stealer and Lorenzo survived the Broodlord on the left yet again. However at the base of the formation the remaining yellow team member was overrun and so we were five. The next round saw another major spawn that meant the broodlord on the left was back up to 4 strength and things were now looking bleak. Purple attacking the top swarm was the only option and Brother Zael rolled a 5 on the attack dice and despatched the entire group of genestealers including the broodlord. At the base of the formation a purple brother was lost and we were down to four.

Then, when all seemed lost we drew the 'Temporary Sanctuary' event card and it was as if victory was back within our grasp. We shuffled the mega spawn at the base of the formation back into the blip pile including the broodlord (I assume that was correct) and the final four marines had a brief respite. However, this card also caused a major spawn which saw the bottom right of the formation hit by the same broodlord with two 'wingmen' and there were plenty more in the pile ready to join in later. We fought on, but rolls went against us and in the end only Brother Zael and Brother Leon were still standing. Zael attacked the swarm rolling a zero and without support he fell to the swarm, only to be followed by Leon on the next turn. The Brothers fought valiantly, but were in the end defeated. Going down in a blaze of glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens a lot like that with this game... That's why victory is so sweet! Interested to know how your son reacted to such a narrow defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
You should not shuffle the brood lord into the blip piles - this is mentioned in the manual. The brood lord gets isolated and then you can kill it - much easier This is the reason "intimidate" from blue team can also work wonders when dealing with this nasties...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
aurax wrote:
You should not shuffle the brood lord into the blip piles - this is mentioned in the manual.

Yes I know, but this happened through drawing the Temporary Sanctuary card which states that you shuffle whole swarm back into blip piles. Are you saying I should have shuffled all genestealers but not the broodlord in? If so I think I would have won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwroskam wrote:
Interested to know how your son reacted to such a narrow defeat.
He was a bit disappointed, but defeat was looming for sometime prior to the loss so I think he had already come to terms with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.