Subject: cursed island smells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i play 4 times today the cursed island scenario, the first 3 times i lost (2 times with 3 cross and 1 time 4 cross) the fourth time i won easily ...the problem was that i read here some things and i figured out that i was playing wrong all the times except the fourth and i have to say that i enjoyed all the times except the fourth also shake,
building many times and everywere the cross makes the scenario piece of cake, i prefer the rules as i understood them in the first place , that you have to build only once per time and on your camp tile fast before fog comes to make it harder and so on.
Imagine that the first 3 times i made another stupid mistake , i was placing fog only on tiles and not empty space, and although i was playing with both these rules wrong i was losing with 3-4 cross already on tiles .

Anyway i would like to hear any other opinions on that and any variant or official new rules on that scenario to balance it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I played that way too the first time I played (and won - I got lucky), but I like both ways... Solo with the carpenter though this is pretty much solved ( see other thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Amato
Italy
Rozzano
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
mythos999 wrote:
Well i play 4 times today the cursed island scenario, the first 3 times i lost (2 times with 3 cross and 1 time 4 cross) the fourth time i won easily ...the problem was that i read here some things and i figured out that i was playing wrong all the times except the fourth and i have to say that i enjoyed all the times except the fourth also shake,
building many times and everywere the cross makes the scenario piece of cake, i prefer the rules as i understood them in the first place , that you have to build only once per time and on your camp tile fast before fog comes to make it harder and so on.
Imagine that the first 3 times i made another stupid mistake , i was placing fog only on tiles and not empty space, and although i was playing with both these rules wrong i was losing with 3-4 cross already on tiles .

Anyway i would like to hear any other opinions on that and any variant or oficial new rules on that scenario to balance it .

Hi, I made exactly the same 2 mistakes that you did and I was crushed.
I was also very unlucky since I got only one Hill ( the last 2 unexplored were both Hills) tile that i used to build rope but was then "disabled" by a fog making impossible to use the Sacred Bell (since needed Hill terrain)

So i guess placing the fog tiles on empty spaces makes sense since it is impossible to win if you don't get hills (like me) or you get them locked by fog

I agree with you on the Cross being built only once per round, it makes the scenario harder for sure but i don't see why one action should be used more than once. The scenario card says that both items "Can be build Multiple times"

Best
Max

P.S. Everytime i play this game, my rating goes up 0.5 points, too bad I'll have to stop at 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for comments.

When we were testing the game, Cursed Island was a tough one, so either you guys have some luck (rolls, cards), have amazing strategy or play something wrong

To build 5 crosses you need 10 wood pieces.
You will not survive without shelter (so you need 2-4 wood) and it will be really hard to survive if you ignore building at least 1 level of roof (2-4 wood). And you have no hatchet in that scenario.

And you need to make at least 4 explore actions to have all together 5 tiles for 5 crosses.

And you put fog markes and first two book icons may not be very bad, you put 4 markers on unexplored spaces, but then things should get tough when you cover your already explored tiles. And what is more, new tiles with icon of mystery are put on board with fog marker, so at some point you really should have big part of the island covered with fog...

so basically, please, check if for sure you play without rules mistakes.
if not, just make it harder, remove dog or some starting item or add more book icon cards. that is why I designed this 'adjusting' rules.

if you can play better than me, you just make game harder for yourselves. game is prepared for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Amato
Italy
Rozzano
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Ignacy

Regarding the fog placement i was playing it wrong.
Regarding the action to build cross how is it supposed to be played? Can I build more than one cross each round if I have extra wood?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignacy ,
Thanks for your opinion !!,
your games are always great and unique and i like robinson very much,
i would like to see new scenarios and also i would like to see some proposals from you how to change difficulty on the current scenarios , lets say some unique changes for each scenario, i understand that as it is the game ,we can adjust some things and even play with some rules as we like them and the core of the gameplay doesnt change, thats true, but it will be nice if we get some ideas from the creator we like .
anyway in that scenario i believe the main problems are the carpenter and the multiple times building cross the same turn.
I need a clarification for the carpenter to be sure, when you like to build something you have to have ALL the materials from preview turn OR you can have less wood and consider the ability of carpenter so you put builder even if you have less materials? thats the only thing that maybe i am playing wrong.
Thanks again
Alexander
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I need a clarification for the carpenter to be sure, when you like to build something you have to have ALL the materials from preview turn OR you can have less wood and consider the ability of carpenter so you put builder even if you have less materials? thats the only thing that maybe i am playing wrong.

I have the same question with mythos999

rulebook wrote:

Everything that players need to take a particular Action
(resources, build Items, minimum Weapon level, etc.),
they should already have at the moment of planning the
Actions.
Otherwise they can’t take the desired Action.
Several Actions (mostly reat Actions and Building)
have additional requirements for taking the Action (i.e. discarding
a resource, having a specic Item or a minimum
Weapons level, etc.).

So in order for an actions to be build i should have all the required materials before i choose it AND THEN use carpenter's ability to pay minus one wood....or i can take it ib consideration from the beginning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if in the pllanning phase you have one wood less but you already have enough determinationtokens to trigger the carpenters ability you can build this item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if thats true what happens if i get the determination tokens with the 1st action(events) and when i built i have them ? so i dont have them from my last turn but i took them the same turn with the building action i want to take, are determination tokens materials as per rule purposes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Holzer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mythos999 wrote:
if thats true what happens if i get the determination tokens with the 1st action(events) and when i built i have them ? so i dont have them from my last turn but i took them the same turn with the building action i want to take, are determination tokens materials as per rule purposes?

You must have all resources that you need for the action phase(including determination tokens) in the planing phase (before actions are executed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
When we were testing the game, Cursed Island was a tough one, so either you guys have some luck (rolls, cards), have amazing strategy or play something wrong

Or just have the Carpenter, I guess.

Quote:
You will not survive without shelter (so you need 2-4 wood) and it will be really hard to survive if you ignore building at least 1 level of roof (2-4 wood). And you have no hatchet in that scenario.

A lot less with the Carpenter (and you get a lot of Determination Tokens, generally, if you play solo, due to the free Morale advance every round).

Havn't tried it yet, but I can see it being a bit easier with the Carpenter than with any other character.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
trzewik wrote:

Or just have the Carpenter, I guess.

Quote:

A lot less with the Carpenter (and you get a lot of Determination Tokens, generally, if you play solo, due to the free Morale advance every round).

Havn't tried it yet, but I can see it being a bit easier with the Carpenter than with any other character.

Bye
Thanee

Yup, you should be getting 2 determination each round - no reason for this not to occur - and then every turn you can build a cross for one wood. Five turns is the max to win this and you should have no problem. The cook's skills are a lot less useful though in this scenario with less players (1 or 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.