flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EPSOM GAMES CLUB
GAME PLAYING DAY

Saturday December 15th
from 10:30 until 18:00

ADMISSION IS FREE

Epsom Games Club was formed really, two years ago and is already has a well attended Thursday evenings club.

We think that the venue we have found is so well suited to game playing, and four hours an evening once a week being insufficient for our game playing needs, that we hold a Games Day on the third Saturday of each month. This will be our twenty fifth such day of game playing.

We will be at the usual venue of:

The big white building at the top of the hill where the road bends
(formerly know as Royal British Legion (RBL), Federation House)
21 West Street
EPSOM
Surrey
KT18 7RL

The venue is a few minutes walk from Epsom town and the mainline station.

The station is not covered by a standard one day Travel Card, nor does it accept Oyster!
[Beware - the revenue protection officers seem to live at Epsom station and are ruthless about inflicting penalty fares!]

The venue does not normally provide food over the week-end, but is happy to allow people to bring in their own and there are also many places to eat within easy walking distance. There is normally a group "pizza buy-in" order made circa lunch time from Dominos. Others bring their own food and many more go into town for sandwiches of visit a near-by cafe or other eateries in the town.

Drinks (including mugs of tea and coffee) are very well priced and there is no need to become a member obtain drinks or to play games at the event.

We will use an open gaming format although many use the game days to play some of the longer (time wise) games in their collections, especially some of the war games or longer 18xx games.

For myself, I tend to prefer Euro style games, and those at the "lighter" end of the gaming spectrum and will bring several along with me, as many others do too, but please feel free to bring along any of your games you wish to play.

This event is open to anyone of any age who appreciates playing board (and card!) games but we do ask that all children are accompanied by an adult who has beaten them in at least one game recently!

Our game playing exploits are recorded on games played at Epsom Gamers.

If this sounds like fun, but you think you may not know the games that will be on offer to play do not worry, people are always prepared to teach beginners - most of us are very happy to be told the rules rather than read them anyway! shake

Please use this list to:
> ask any questions,
> let us know that you are intending to attend,
> to arrange any games you would like to play or
> for any other relevant matter.

Look forward to seeing you there.

P.S. Many people leave the event circa 18:00 (apparently there are things they would rather do than play more games!shake), so although the game playing day will officially come to an end at 18:00, everyone is welcome to carry on playing.

As of posting this announcement I am not aware of a party in the function room in the evening (but I expect that to change this close to Christmas!) so we can stay put all night if we so wish.

[N.B. There is limited free parking (about a dozen or so spaces) at the venue and although this has not been a problem yet (most people live locally), the venue is at the edge of the town but due to the proximity of the station, the area has parking restrictions on the street next to the venue in force until 18:30. There are also several privately enforced parking places in the area - please do not park illegally or else you could (and probably will) get a penalty notice and that will put a dampener on the day for you! Please use the venue car park, other car parks (fee payable) or other nearby on-street parking.

As of August 2012 the parking has become more restrictive with double yellow lines being put along all the road leading to the venue.]

Details about who played what games on the day can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Marsden
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to be there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Parsons
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to be there, keen to plsy Starcraft or Descent (second edition) which I can bring and teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be there from kick off till about three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
At present planning to be there - happy to give Starcraft a try

or any of the following:-

Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas
Bushido: Der Weg des Kriegers
Shogun
Rise of Empires
Letters from Whitechapel
Struggle of Empires

or any number of the recent Essen crop CO2, Keyflower, Eclipse(+), Tzolkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh is going to teach me Key Harvest this weekend (his playing of Minecraft on-line permitting!) and I will teach him Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar so could be up for a game of either of those with you.

And Shogun is on my (VERY long list of game to try).

And we really should give Letters from Whitechapel another run-out. Are you going to be Jack again or do you want to be a detective? I still have some of the A3 maps that Gary did his markings on but we really need him to do the scribing but since his relocation he has "vanished". Bit like I expect Adam to do....... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid we are off to see the Wimbledon theatre panto Snow White on the 15th.

Oh no you're not!
Oh yes I am.

Hi-Ho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Josh is going to teach me Key Harvest this weekend (his playing of Minecraft on-line permitting!) and I will teach him Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar so could be up for a game of either of those with you.

And Shogun is on my (VERY long list of game to try).

And we really should give Letters from Whitechapel another run-out. Are you going to be Jack again or do you want to be a detective? I still have some of the A3 maps that Gary did his markings on but we really need him to do the scribing but since his relocation he has "vanished". Bit like I expect Adam to do....... soblue

Letters From Whitechapel - happy to play either Jack or a detective. I have made some player aids in the form of laminated maps which allow you to scrawl on them with dry-erase pens for clue taking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Marsden
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
And we really should give Letters from Whitechapel another run-out.

I'd really like to give Letters from Whitechapel another go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I can get along yet, but if I do would love a crack at playing Jack in LfW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimF wrote:
Not sure if I can get along yet, but if I do would love a crack at playing Jack in LfW.

I have only been Jack once and was blocked from getting home.

If I was to play Jack again, I'd have a different game going on that I could play while waiting my turn. Detectives are always slow, hence the name "plods".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:

I did that! Ha Ha.

Jazzuu wrote:
If I was to play Jack again, I'd have a different game going on that I could play while waiting my turn. Detectives are always slow, hence the name "plods"

Well, if you hadn't been so slow, you would have got home before getting locked out.

PC Plod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:

I did that! Ha Ha....

And don't think that I have forgotten that! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Rowlands Castle
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhodeuk wrote:
Going to be there, keen to plsy Starcraft or Descent (second edition) which I can bring and teach.

Hoping to make it for that saturday and both of those sound good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Parsons
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorwerth wrote:
rhodeuk wrote:

Cool beans, Rob might be turning up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bath
United Kingdom
Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
rhodeuk wrote:
Iorwerth wrote:
rhodeuk wrote:

Cool beans, Rob might be turning up as well.

Ay,

I'd love to come again, was excellent fun last time.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I hope to be there with my two sons, aged 10 and 8. We will probably just make it for the afternoon as we have plans in the morning. They can handle fairly complex games with suitable guidance, but hidden information (especially text rich) can be difficult for them. We're all looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Woodman
United Kingdom
Twickenham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Epsom folk ..

I cannot make it this month as I am doing some staff training at one of my key clients.

Enjoy and see you all in the new year

Woody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there on Saturday and would be happy to play any of...

Rise of Empires
Letters from Whitechapel
CO₂*
Keyflower*
Power Grid: Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland
Steam: Map Expansion #2

*someone else's copy, though, mine are wrapped up for Xmas /
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
I hope to be there with my two sons, aged 10 and 8. We will probably just make it for the afternoon as we have plans in the morning. They can handle fairly complex games with suitable guidance, but hidden information (especially text rich) can be difficult for them. We're all looking forward to it.

Steve,

Be good to see all of you there.

Will you be bringing any games your lads like to play or would you like us to suggest/bring some suitable games along (I am thinking of games like Diamant, Pirate's Cove, Niagara)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
I will be there on Saturday and would be happy to play any of...

Rise of Empires
Letters from Whitechapel
CO₂*
Keyflower*
Power Grid: Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland
Steam: Map Expansion #2

*someone else's copy, though, mine are wrapped up for Xmas /

Have you been feeling your presents again? Some people never grow up (me included)!

Happy to have a play of Letters from Whitechapel, Power Grid: Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland, and perhaps Keyflower and even Steam: Map Expansion #2 (about time I played Steam!), but really want to get at least one game of Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and would not mind a game of The Castles of Burgundy.

Of course, if this Saturday is like any of the others, probably be lucky to play one of these games! shake

And what about the other Essen games (e.g. Snowdonia, Ginkgopolis (with the correct rules))?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
And what about the other Essen games (e.g. Snowdonia, Ginkgopolis (with the correct rules))?

You obviosuly haven't played Ginkgopolis with me... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Steam, Keyflower sounds like a great Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I can make it (my first Epsom Saturaday meet!), but can't get there before 12.30.
Is there a good time to turn up in order to catch the start of the afternoon games? Any advice from you veterans would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

PS. I'm up for all games mention so far (most I haven't played yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverJDragon wrote:
Looks like I can make it (my first Epsom Saturaday meet!), but can't get there before 12.30.
Is there a good time to turn up in order to catch the start of the afternoon games? Any advice from you veterans would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

PS. I'm up for all games mention so far (most I haven't played yet)

No worries about the time you arrive.

We normnally start to break for lunch around 13:00 - bit vague because

a) sometimes we want to finish the game we are playing rather than pause it and

b) not everyone has the same lunch (some get a Pizza delivered, some go to a local cafe, some bring their own tuck, others go and grab a sandwich) so we arrive back at different times.

I am sure than whenever you turn up you will be able to get a game or three in.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.