Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
people who have played the game- is this worth adding to my bookshelf? love the art, love the theme, love the...game? review anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have pre-ordered from Stronghold and think this game is sufficiently unique and innovative to be a valued addition to everyone's game collection. However, having said that, it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's a bit of a brain-burner with (as you can see from the numerous questions posted here on BGG) a bit of a learning curve, similar to Vital's other heavyweight game, Vinhos, and to me the game is reminiscent of my all-time favorite, Die Macher. However, once you spend the time to study the rules, it all seems to make sense, fitting the theme perfectly, like putting together the pieces of a complex puzzle.

For more specific comments, see my prior post at item 13 of this Geek List:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/149256

I am holding off rating the game until I get more plays under my belt, but right now it's a solid 8 for me. I would comment that the 2 hour play time on the box is only likely to be achieved (if at all) by players very well versed in the rules who are quick and not AP prone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:

to me the game is reminiscent of my all-time favorite, Die Macher.

I also thought of this as Power Grid meets Die Macher - an excellent combination!

John Weber wrote:

I would comment that the 2 hour play time on the box is only likely to be achieved (if at all) by players very well versed in the rules who are quick and not AP prone.

AGREED. I taught this many times during BGG.CON 2012 and it was rare for a game to take less than 3 hours. It speeds up once everyone has figured out how all the pieces fit together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.