Conquest of the Skies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Research variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Just a random quickie that's mostly for personal preference:

In my games each player puts 12 research tokens of each color into the common pool, as normal. But instead of drawing three and keeping two(thus needing a way to have a blind draw- like a bag, etc), I just made some stickered D6 with 2 Blue, Red and Yellow sides each. As terrible as I am with math statistics, I think that boiled down, it's the same basic chances as a blind draw (as far as I know).

When a player researches, they roll 3D6 and take two of those results from the common pool. If there are no tokens of a certain color in the common pool, the player may obviously not choose them.

My copy is a "travel" edition (50% scale), so to save space I have given a thought to also put white numbers 1-6 on the colored faces, so you can use the research die for combat die as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegisgrimm wrote:
As terrible as I am with math statistics, I think that boiled down, it's the same basic chances as a blind draw (as far as I know).

It mostly is, yes - the thinking behind the token-draw rather than rolling for research is that with the token draw, if everyone is researching top-level military tech (for example) there will be fewer red cubes/tokens in the bag, which means that you're less likely to draw one and more likely to draw a resource/propulsion token.

Realistically, the difference in effect probably isn't huge for most people's games, so if you're happy with rolling a die, go for it!

Aegisgrimm wrote:

My copy is a "travel" edition (50% scale), so to save space I have given a thought to also put white numbers 1-6 on the colored faces, so you can use the research die for combat die as well.

A neat idea! Can we see it? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Sure! I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of it sometime- I found that half-scale printing makes the entire game "juuuust" fit into one of those plastic containers with the snap-flap for 5x7 index cards that you can get from Office Depot for a couple bucks apiece. After making a copy of Dune Express that fit in one, it's my new size goal for games I plan on traveling with.

Quote:
It mostly is, yes - the thinking behind the token-draw rather than rolling for research is that with the token draw, if everyone is researching top-level military tech (for example) there will be fewer red cubes/tokens in the bag, which means that you're less likely to draw one and more likely to draw a resource/propulsion token.

Realistically, the difference in effect probably isn't huge for most people's games, so if you're happy with rolling a die, go for it!

Hmmm, I actually wondered about that right after posting earlier. Serves me right for not getting to play my copy very much yet, I guess! Though I plan on getting some 2 player games in over Thanksgiving- I'll have to see how it impacts play. Might just make it faster and bloodier, if at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.