Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule in the book states that if the base of the unit can touch both spaces at once, then the unit can move between the spaces. The exact 'direction' of the movement doesn't matter so long as it adheres to that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
The upshot of the "base spans the gap" rule is that diagonal movement is almost universally possible on all tiles with a grid-like pattern. Personally, I think it makes them seem a little claustrophobic, since the mice can just about run corner to corner in one turn. I'm thinking of house-ruling that diagonal movement is not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
The upshot of the "base spans the gap" rule is that diagonal movement is almost universally possible on all tiles with a grid-like pattern. Personally, I think it makes them seem a little claustrophobic, since the mice can just about run corner to corner in one turn. I'm thinking of house-ruling that diagonal movement is not allowed.

Interesting analysis. I feel that not being able to move very far each turn creates the claustrophobic feeling. Have you ever tried to catch a mouse? They can cover a lot of distance very quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
Have you ever tried to catch a mouse? They can cover a lot of distance very quickly!

I think thats the main reason for the invention of the mousetrap. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that if the spaces share a portion of edge, you could move. We ran into the question of diagonal movement in the sewers, where it is a regular grid in the water, and played that only orthogonal movement was possible. Clarification would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
We played that if the spaces share a portion of edge, you could move. We ran into the question of diagonal movement in the sewers, where it is a regular grid in the water, and played that only orthogonal movement was possible. Clarification would be nice.

If you're playing by the rules as written, it's pretty clear diagonal movement should be allowed in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diagonal movement is allowed if the base of the mini spans the spaces moved to and from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.