Subject: Alpha Centauri preset (#2) hand too powerful? (with or w/o exp #1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Race with just exp #1 that I break out whenever playing with newbies. As suggested, I go with the preset hands, and it's worked out for the most part. In some games however with the AC preset (Rebel Miners, Mining Robots, Mining World, and Expedition Force), in more games than not, the AC player will either be experienced enough to get a brown strategy going, or admitedly, when he asks for advice, we do push him towards the brown strategy. It works out very well getting Mining Conglomerate and/or Mining League + an extra brown world or 2 tends to give that player a leg up.

Perhaps my perceptions are being clouded in where I notice this more in that preset than others, but it seems like that tends to be too strong of a preset. More wins appear to come from that than any other preset. I will acknowledge that in the case where preset #2 doesn't get the support cards mentioned above, it's not so bad for everyone else, and the AC player can still try to overcome that shortcoming by switching to another strategy, but it just seems to be "bland" at this point.

I suppose AC preset should go to folks who are very new to the game. Otherwise, switch to the usual 6 keep 4 start hands sooner than later?

EDIT: AC preset is #2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Alpha Centauri preset (#3) hand too powerful? (with or w/o exp #1)
ackmondual wrote:
I have a copy of Race with just exp #1 that I break out whenever playing with newbies. As suggested, I go with the preset hands, and it's worked out for the most part. In some games however with the AC preset (Rebel Miners, Mining Robots, Mining World, and Expedition Force),

This does seem like a pretty strong starting position. All you need now is the 6-cost development and a couple more brown worlds, and you've about won.

ackmondual wrote:
I suppose AC preset should go to folks who are very new to the game. Otherwise, switch to the usual 6 keep 4 start hands sooner than later?

We rarely use the pre-sets, even when teaching new players. Maybe it's because we're lazy. Do you find that it helps people pick up the game faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

We rarely use the pre-sets, even when teaching new players. Maybe it's because we're lazy. Do you find that it helps people pick up the game faster?
IIRC, the RftG team recommends (including Tom). I tend to agree with that assessment, as...

1) starting off with a bunch of cards that have synergies (some more than others) gives newbies a taste of what to look for

2) Not having to pick the best 4 cards that work together out of 6 is daunting at best, or non-existent for those who still don't know what's going on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, i'm not much a fan of the ACe preset hand. It's too one-dimensional. You get amazing cardflow at least (and is thus easy to play for new and old hats), but if you don't draw Mining Conglomerate, Mining League, Tourist World, or Trade League, you're often screwed. It's certainly the funnest hand when you do though. :P

I have 74+ pre-set hand games played. Of those, i tracked all homeworlds for 55.

1 EE 18-36 33%
2 ACe 19-36 35%
3 NSp 10-26 28%
4 ELC 6-15 29%
5 SC 2-6 25%

I've won 41 of these 55 games, with an average of 3.16 players (obsiously new players are mostly auto wins).

Since i was involved in all these plays, i think there might be a bias for lower numbered worlds having better records (since the rulebook says to distribute homeworld numbers based on #players, i.e. 2 players distribute 1 and 2).

So all in all, despite low sample size, stats look pretty normal. I doubt we'll find a larger sample size to look at heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Since i was involved in all these plays, i think there might be a bias for lower numbered worlds having better records (since the rulebook says to distribute homeworld numbers based on #players, i.e. 2 players distribute 1 and 2).
Huh... was not aware of this. I've always just dealt out random from 1 - 4 (through 5 if with exp #1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
entranced wrote:
Huh... was not aware of this. I've always just dealt out random from 1 - 4 (through 5 if with exp #1).

Presumably the higher the preset hand number, the more complicated... Though i'm not sure that's even true. They must have had a reason though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
entranced wrote:

Presumably the higher the preset hand number, the more complicated... Though i'm not sure that's even true. They must have had a reason though.
Really? I found New Sparta #3 to be easier for newbies than #1 Ep. Eradani.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.