Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was looking at this thread Not Everybody Wants Avalon Hill ADULT Games, I noticed several people mention that Avalon Hill's Gettysburg was their entry point to wargaming. It was mine as well, in 1968, when I received it as a gift for my 10th birthday.

SO -- what game was your entry point to a lifetime of wargaming goodness? Was it a gift? Something you bought for yourself at your FLGS? Something a friend introduced you to? At what age did the flash of inspiration hit you?

And, most importantly, do you still own that puppy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/16398/war

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
My first wargame was MBT (first edition). I got it in 1988 I believe after reading Red Storm Rising. A buddy bought NATO: The Next War in Europeand I wanted a game that was more tactical in nature. Couldn't figure out how to play it for a few weeks but enjoyed it after that. I still have the beat up copy of it in my collection.

Dan Stueber
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It was 1979. A friend and I each bought a game from a store catalog. No pictures. No descriptions. Just the name and a price. He got Gettysburg 77 and I got this. Man, have I got my money's worth out of this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 was my first wargame but it didn't particularly grab me. Julius Caesar however did. It opened my eyes to gaming that could be both fun and based on an historical subject of interest to me.

I still play it but prefer games a little (really just a little) more complex / historical. Rome is still a favourite subject; I've been enjoying Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage recently (even though Carthage keeps ahistorically winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strike Force One. My brother taught me. I was five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Strike Force One. My brother taught me. I was five.

Impressive! I'm embarrassed to say at 5 I was playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was 1973 and my friend and I came upon a copy of AH's Stalingrad. The rules said 12 and up. He was 12 I was 10. We reasoned that since he was 12 he could read the rules and teach me to play. My friend enjoyed gaming and we played a bit over the years but that game had a profound effect on me and I sought out more and more wargames. Apparently I am still searching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you include AT style war games as wargames, at 7 or 8 I played my first game of
after my brother got it for Christmas.

If you want to only count hex/counter games as wargames my first game was
when I was 10 or 11. Looking back I am surprised that the gridlock and pace of this game didn't scare me away from wargames forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was Richthofen's War. If not that, then it was PanzerBlitz. I still have both games. I acquired them in the early 1970's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was TSR's purple-cover Dungeon. That one is long gone.

But my first wargame was 1776. Christmas of '82 or '83, don't remember exactly. Yep, still have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
AH's Starship Trooper around 1980. I still have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

My Dad got me interested in WWII through model airplanes when I was 9. When I was 10, he brought this home and opened my eyes to a whole new world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad was so desperate for an opponent, he had me calling the shots in Richthofen's War when I was way to young to have any clue what was going on.

Edit: We still have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="charlieturtle"]If you include AT style war games as wargames, at 7 or 8 I played my first game of
after my brother got it for Christmas.

This is me too, though I first played a bit older.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First one I owned was Bismarck. I got it for Christmas. First one I played was a friend's copy of Tactics II.

Edit: I don't have Bismarck any more, wish I still did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First wargame? Tactics II, which I still have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting some of the American Heritage series games I played with my buddies (e.g. Broadside), the first "real" wargame I ever played was Avalon Hill's Waterloo. My friend Karl introduced me to this world of wargaming via this classic, which was owned by his brother. I believe the year was 1973 and I was 10 years old. Amazingly, I now own that very same copy, as I traded for it with Karl for some other game I owned way back when.

The first wargame I ever bought for myself was another AH game, Tactics II, later that same year. I no longer have that game, as I traded it away to someone for something - I can't even remember what or when!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Russian Campaign

Played at a friend's house in 1979, aged eleven. He taught me the rules and we played while our parents chatted.

Hooked me straight away. It was even better once I realised that stacking was in fact not unlimited in city hexes (which came after pestering my parents to buy me a copy, then reading the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The African Campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles

A friend sold me on it, and my original copy is long gone.

Now replaced by Federation Commander and Federation & Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gavrilovic
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mine was Avalon Hill's War At Sea, I was in Grade 9, woulda been about 13 or 14 then. New nothing about wargames then, just saw the box, with the ships and planes and the "You can change history" and was hooked. Still have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerBlitz

My dad had Blitzkrieg but wouldn't play it with me so I got Panzerblitz ...

Played it to death ... RIP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albatros
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Blitzkrieg was my first true wargame even before I got more juvenile games like Admirals, Sub Search and Tank Battle. I was eleven when I saw it in a Christmas catalogue (Sears or Eatons) and I really had no idea what I was getting into when I told my parents that was the one gift I really wanted.

Decades later, I still have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitzkrieg was my first game also, in 1976.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.