Subject: 1st play, very easy. Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Just played my first game of Mice and Mystics since I've seen it demoed at Gencon, very awesome game.

One thing I noticed is that it was very easy and, since we were more experienced gamers there feels like a few things we exploited but I wanted to double check we didn't play a rule incorrectly.

One thing we did was kill all but 1 minion in a room, then kited him around while searching. Since there was not zero minions in the room at the end of the round, we did not add a cheese to the wheel of doom. Since it never got close enough to us it never attacked and also never added a cheese.

Also, when we had a tough room, due to an unfortunate surge, we just left the room. It doesn't appear to be anything against the rules to just leave the room with undefeated minions which makes me wonder - couldn't it be a strategy just to run past everything until the last room?

When do you add the "difficult" encounters? We may have to do that every game since the ones we played with are super easy.

If you can equip items for free, it doesn't seem to matter which weapon/defensive item you have on you at any given time (so long as it was changed completely before the end of your turn) which lead to some interesting thoughts on stacking offensive items during combat and defensive items afterwards (again, for free).

Cheese seemed very difficult to get in large quantities. You only get it when you attack or defend and get a cheese symbol?

Some people were discussing how difficult/impossible this game is and I simply don't see it unless we played something drastically wrong. Either way, I'm sure there are other things we missed and I've checked some of the other rules posts but if anyone has some pointers on something we missed I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't just leave the room if there are still minions alive in the room. It's in the rule book. You can also only have 1 successful search per character per room (and there are negative outcomes of searches). And while equipping something from your pack is a free action, you can only do it once per turn, so you couldn't equip an offensive weapon at the beginning of your turn and then equip a defensive weapon at the end of your turn. I would say you were playing a few rules incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't explore when Minions are still in the room. You must defeat them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things, some you might know, some you might not.

Each mouse only gets one successful search per room. So t best, you get 4 search cards per tile using the kiting method. Still good, but just making sure you weren't doing infinite searches.

The rules state you can't explore a new tile with minions on the current one, so that's one that you might have been doing wrong.

Regarding difficult encounters (see above?)

You can only attack with 1 item per turn. If you have three weapons, you have to pick "1" of the ones you have equippped to attack with. They don't stack (unless a card tells you to).

Correct on the cheeses.

Hope that helps as a starter.

Edit: Beat to the punch on a couple items by speedy posters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can only equip items once on your turn. So if you switch to an offensive weapon before attacking, then you can't switch to a defensive setup until your next turn.

(This goes for all of the free actions, which prevents players from just passing around certain useful items...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stuhldreier
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmb
And you add cheese to the wheel when minions are on the board, but not in the last initiative space. Not only in empty rooms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nydo wrote:
And you add cheese to the wheel when minions are on the board, but not in the last initiative space. Not only in empty rooms!

I don't think this is correct. You add a cheese to the wheel after the last mouse's turn when there are no minions on the board. The point is to keep up some time pressure even though there are not currently any real threats. If there are minions on the board, it makes no difference (for this purpose) who is in the last initiative space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right Ian. You only add cheese to the wheel after the last mouse acts during a round when there are no minions on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
But you also add cheese to the wheel when minions roll a cheese when attacking and defending, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Russell
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But you also add cheese to the wheel when minions roll a cheese when attacking and defending, right?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.