Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, don't mind me. I'm just here to think out loud and wish about heroes and villians that I hope make it into expansions.

I read one of Jason Brenner's (Upper Deck Entertainment Brand Manager, if I understand correctly) interviews on critshappen.net. His quote that they "plan on doing something that is not very traditional in terms of deck building expansion releases" sounds very intriguing.

I think that the first expansion was hinted at in the manual, where the Spiderman symbol was referred to as representing the Spider Friends. Jason mentioned that his favorite characters didn't make it into the final game. Anybody who was watching Saturday morning cartoons in the early 80s knows that one of the coolest (no pun intended) obscure(ish?) heroes is Iceman. I don't care either way about Firestar, but Iceman would be awesome.

As a kid, I loved the Rhino the best. He would make a great henchman in the game. He was just a tough guy who could run through walls and not much else. Ahh, the simplicity of the old days.
The Kingpin would make for a good retro Mastermind. I won't talk too much about villains, since I haven't yet played with all of the villain groups, so chances are I would mention guys that are actually in the game.

I can't imagine that the Fantastic Four could be very far off for an expansion. Since they added Avengers and X-Men into the base game, they'd need to hold the other popular team off for a new expansion with new schemes and enemies, otherwise they'd have a $100 game on their hands!

Namor, Daredevil, and Punisher would be interesting to see, although they tend to work alone - at least as I remember. We don't yet have a Jean Grey, Beast or Colossus, so there may be some more X-Men action in our future.

Long shots that would be cool, but I doubt we'll see: Alpha Flight, Excalibur (esp. Captain Britain). Hank freakin' Pym. Doctor Strange.

Oh well. The good news is there is apparently an expansion coming next year (I've got my fingers crossed for first quarter). The game itself only took 5 months to make, which is amazing considering how much thought went into it, so I have a lot of optimism for some quality expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Knights. End of discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Marvel Knights. End of discussion.

Took the words right out of my mouth. WHERE IS MY PUNISHER?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the expansions before I buy this, hoping they don't just add cards but improve the base game, i.e. Pandemic: On the Brink or A Touch of Evil expansions. I've seen dome good constructive criticsim on here that they can easily "fix" with expansions, so here is hoping that the designers are paying attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much want to see a cosmic expansion -- which is more plausible now that Guardians of the Galaxy is being made into a movie. So, people like Silver Surfer, Nova, the Guardians, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
WHERE IS MY PUNISHER?

I think his name is Luke whistle !

Also, screw expansions for now, get the blasted base game available in Europe as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Also, screw expansions for now, get the blasted base game available in Europe as well.

Couldn't agree more ... we need our copies in Europe before we can start reminiscing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hoefle
Germany
Ebersbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes please do

is there any german shop or even european shop thats sells this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a collector since the time they cost 12 cents (god, they're 4 bucks now!), I definitely have a preference to the golden oldies, with the FF being a favorite.

The first expansion better be the FF! angry
Adding the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and Namor (ahh, the Defenders!), along with the Super Skrull and Thanos would be my ultimate dream combination.

thumbsup thumbsup

BTW, Legendary is the first superhero game I have even considered purchasing. All those released previously in the same genre just didn't seem to capture the essence of my beloved comics. This may be the one! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet, unfortunately - but it's in the mail. It'll still be a while, international shipping being what it is, so all I have in the meanwhile is thinking about where this game could go, and I'm very excited about it.

Looking at how many cards are included in the base set, a rough guess puts my estimates at each expansion including around 5 new heroes, 1 or two masterminds, around 3 schemes and 3-4 new villain groups (be they villains or henchmen). This based on absolutely nothing but my own guessing and speculation. Of course, that statement from the interview in the OP could throw all this out the window.

That said, here's my completely-out-of-nowhere expansion breakdown/speculation/wish list.

* Fantastic Four is the obvious choice, really. It's the only major Marvel player not to be included in the base. The 5 heroes would be Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny, obviously. I'd put the fifth at She-Hulk, as she's been a replacement FFer many times over the years. For the Mastermind I'm guessing Namor (yes, I know he's a good guy now, but he started as an FF big bad) which would have an "always leads" villain group of Atlanteans. The other Mastermind I'd stick in there would probably be Kang. Mole Man might be cool (with a Mole People henchmen group), but I don't think he's powerful enough to warrant Mastermind status. As far as villain groups go, Frightful Four is an obvious choice. Along with maybe a negative-zone themed group (maybe saving Annhilus for a future Mastermind). Throw in a Kang-themed henchmen group, and some FF flavored Scheme twists, and you've got a kick ass expansion.

* The Marvel Street level is the next to not be represented in the game (with the exception of Spidey). The heroes would be the likes of Daredevil, Punisher, Elektra, Iron Fist. Shang Chi if you wanna go more obscure. Maybe throw in Spider-Woman for good measure. Masterminds would be Kingpin for sure and maybe Hammerhead or Purple Man could make for interesting Mastermind - using your heroes against you in some way. Villain groups could be mobsters, a non-henchman Hand group and maybe a "Hired Killers" group with Bullseye, Black Tarantula and more.

* The Spider-Friends expansion would utilise the Spider affiliation symbol, probably including classics like Black Cat and Daredevil (if he isn't in the Marvel Knights expansion). For fun and giggles, go clone and include a Scarlet Spider in the mix. Maybe at this point they'll start doubling up heroes and include a new Spider-Man deck (completely different cards so you could essentially have 28 Spideys in your deck). Ice-Man could be featured here, as previously suggested. Villains are an issue, because of the Spider-Foes villain deck in the base set. Though it's easily fixed by either not playing with Spider-Foes or, alternatively, doubling up some villains. Masterminds for Spidey would most likely be Green Goblin (or, for kicks/to set it apart from the GG card - Norman Osbourne). The other one is really a toss up between Doc Ock or Venom. A Spider-Slayers henchmen group is a must, and there's no shortage of Villain groups to choose from - "Goblins" including all the various incarnations, "Animals" - having the various animal-themed villains in Spidey's rogues gallery, "Symbiotes". I don't know about the schemes - but one has to be "Clone Saga". Maybe playing around with the concept of duplicate heroes or something.

* In a perfect world, the first "big-box" expansion to Legendary (coming Christmas 2013 ) would be X-Men. We're talking the full 15 heroes, 4 Masterminds, etc. Throw in all the X-Men not featured in the base set: Nightcrawler, Colossus, Psylock, Xavier, Jean etc. There's plenty to choose from. Masterminds are also a plenty - Apocalypse, Shaw, Sinister, Stryker off the top of my hat. Villain groups could be something like Hellfire Club, Horsemen of Apocalypse, Purifiers. Schemes could be more mutant-centric, something like House of M, or Days of Future Past.

I could go on and on: Inhumans, Avengers (Big-box #2), Cosmic, Asgard. This game has so much potential, and I'm really looking forward to playing it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

* In a perfect world, the first "big-box" expansion to Legendary (coming Christmas 2013 ) would be X-Men. We're talking the full 15 heroes, 4 Masterminds, etc. Throw in all the X-Men not featured in the base set: Nightcrawler, Colossus, Psylock, Xavier, Jean etc. There's plenty to choose from. Masterminds are also a plenty - Apocalypse, Shaw, Sinister, Stryker off the top of my hat. Villain groups could be something like Hellfire Club, Horsemen of Apocalypse, Purifiers. Schemes could be more mutant-centric, something like House of M, or Days of Future Past.

I'm drooling at the thought of a Mutant Big Box with House of M Scheme....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
BTW, Legendary is the first superhero game I have even considered purchasing. All those released previously in the same genre just didn't seem to capture the essence of my beloved comics. This may be the one! meeple

I came back to boardgaming via Marvel Heroes, which is very high on my lists, surprise buy Spider-Man really worked for me as well. But then, I do love to roll me some dice and both of those games feature 'hedrons aplenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

I'm drooling at the thought of a Mutant Big Box with House of M Scheme....

If you fail the Scheme - you have to burn 90% of the mutant cards you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great fun to see all the speculation! whistle It's clear that there are lots of favorites!

-Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmoebaDregKeg wrote:
Oh, don't mind me. I'm just here to think out loud and wish about heroes and villians that I hope make it into expansions.

I read one of Jason Brenner's (Upper Deck Entertainment Brand Manager, if I understand correctly) interviews on critshappen.net. His quote that they "plan on doing something that is not very traditional in terms of deck building expansion releases" sounds very intriguing.

I think that the first expansion was hinted at in the manual, where the Spiderman symbol was referred to as representing the Spider Friends. Jason mentioned that his favorite characters didn't make it into the final game. Anybody who was watching Saturday morning cartoons in the early 80s knows that one of the coolest (no pun intended) obscure(ish?) heroes is Iceman. I don't care either way about Firestar, but Iceman would be awesome.

As a kid, I loved the Rhino the best. He would make a great henchman in the game. He was just a tough guy who could run through walls and not much else. Ahh, the simplicity of the old days.
The Kingpin would make for a good retro Mastermind. I won't talk too much about villains, since I haven't yet played with all of the villain groups, so chances are I would mention guys that are actually in the game.

I can't imagine that the Fantastic Four could be very far off for an expansion. Since they added Avengers and X-Men into the base game, they'd need to hold the other popular team off for a new expansion with new schemes and enemies, otherwise they'd have a $100 game on their hands!

Namor, Daredevil, and Punisher would be interesting to see, although they tend to work alone - at least as I remember. We don't yet have a Jean Grey, Beast or Colossus, so there may be some more X-Men action in our future.

Long shots that would be cool, but I doubt we'll see: Alpha Flight, Excalibur (esp. Captain Britain). Hank freakin' Pym. Doctor Strange.

Oh well. The good news is there is apparently an expansion coming next year (I've got my fingers crossed for first quarter). The game itself only took 5 months to make, which is amazing considering how much thought went into it, so I have a lot of optimism for some quality expansions.

Great post! Here are some facts for you guys.
1. Our first expansion will hit in August.
2. We have heard the pleas and the roster will not disappoint.
3. Taking betson who can figure out who my favorite hero/villain combo is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hoefle
Germany
Ebersbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and what about european/german distributors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it that nobody has mentioned Ghost Rider as an addition to the Marvel Knights deck? Perhaps the wounds from the terrible movies are still too fresh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael A

California
msg tools
I know this probably won't happen but I would love to see Blade as a non affiliated hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:

You REALLY owe it to yourself to track down a copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Despite it being filled with look-alikes to our favorite heroes/villains, it is incredibly flavorful.

While it is early to suggest, and a bit apples/oranges, I also think in its current form, it just might be a better designed/nuanced game.

Legendary is still pretty wonderful though, especially considering it is the game that finally broke me out of deck-builder malaise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
rdsmith wrote:

You REALLY owe it to yourself to track down a copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Despite it being filled with look-alikes to our favorite heroes/villains, it is incredibly flavorful.

While it is early to suggest, and a bit apples/oranges, I also think in its current form, it just might be a better designed/nuanced game.

Legendary is still pretty wonderful though, especially considering it is the game that finally broke me out of deck-builder malaise...

I would say Sentinels has a much bigger upkeep to take care of (keeping track of damage modifications, hp reduction/increase, interactions between villain and hero cards) Even with the Enhanced Edition's tokens, there still is a lot of information to keep track of. The whole upkeep process can detract from the game. Don't get me wrong, I have the game myself and enjoy it, but sometimes, there's just too much happening and sometimes something goes amiss. When you realize the mistake, sometimes it's too late and that mistake could have either cost you the game or allowed you to win the game when you should not have. Who wants to win when in the back of your mind, you know you kind of cheated to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Brenzor wrote:

If you've dropped any hints, I've missed them, so these are random guesses...

Silver Surfer / Thanos (or Galactus)
Daredevil / Bullseye

Am I even close?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Patterson
United States
Longview
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmoebaDregKeg wrote:
Long shots that would be cool...

What about LongShot? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longshot

He is my favorite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Carnage as a Mastermind? Maximum Carnage could make a very interesting scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Big Poppi
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

Hercules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for Howard the Duck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.