Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: 5 yr old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Hey guys. Anybody tried this with very young ones. Mine is 5. Hes the only one I have to play it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't let my 5 y/o play... even though my daughter would be careful enough to not break them... she would not understand the game. I think that the suggested age of 14+ is a little extreme- but 10 seems good.

regards,
airmanwhit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7/8 year old has picked the game up no problem. He just turned 8 a couple weeks ago, and we had been playing for about a month before that. I think it's really a matter of how much you trust your kid with the ships and such more than anything. The basic game included in the core set is the way I would play it with a younger child.

my son plays with all of the game's rules and plans his own moves and everything, and it is his favorite game, so in the end I'd say it really just depends on your comfort level in providing assistance and probably not playing the full actual game for quite a while.

Cheers!

Jacovis

Edit : clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my 8yo, and he understood the game well enough to remember most, if not all the rules. He even was able to read the special abilities (we are French-speaking and my set is in English)

I think that the game is set at 14+ is probably for liability. It does contains small parts, and the models may be fragile.

Plus, in a Tournament setting, 14+ is easier to manage when there is a high risk of moving the ships if you're not careful. My son was often moving a ship because his sleeve was too close.

5yo? I don't know... He may be ok, but may not grasp all the concepts. Especially if he doesn't read yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stellato
United States
Grafton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 year old loves it. I also brought it to a friends dinner and I let ran a game between the dads and the sons. It was great fun.

They were very careful with the ships. I feel the worth of a game is how much fun you have playing with your friends or kids. If something would happen, you can always fix a ship or replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete G
United Kingdom
Daventry
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once with the children. The three year old (now four), five year old, their mum and I. The build consisted of three ties, an xwing and the senators shuttle. No additional equipment.

Both children were very careful with the ships and were told to only lift them by the pillars. Which they did (along with lots of thanks and wows). We just reminded them every now and then when they were getting a little too excited to be careful.

The three year old was pretty much a random event and his ships were pretty much played for him.

The five year old was fine. Not the strongest strategy but fine.

We handled all the rules for target lock etc. However he handled the red maneuver and all his moves along with if he was going to use his special tokens.

It was good fun and I think with more plays it would speed up. Would have been a lot easier with just the five year old.

He has played wings of war before and handled the movement cards and minatures without issue. A single move dial is a lot easier for him. All we did was make sure the move templates were in front of him so he could see what he was choosing.

I find playing against him fun in most games (memoir etc) as its often like a solo game but with fun. You can help and advise but ultimately they make their own decisions which you then react to (yes I let him win but not all the time. If he has played well the a win. If lots of mistakes then a loss and discussion to go through why). If there is a tantrum due to losses then it's a quick question do you want to stop? There's no point playing if it's not fun? It all works out and everyone usually has a blast.

Basically at this age it's more if the theme will interest them. The rules can be adjusted around them as they learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Walker
New Zealand
Tauranga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play quick start rules with my 4 year old daughter when she asks to play the spaceship game. She does pretty well and has an idea of strategy. we added asteroids last time but only count collisions if you finished a mover overlapping an asteroid. she lead my ties on a merry dance through the asteroid field and got me well boxed in.

More often than not we don't finish games so add up total damage to see who wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with my 5 year old. That last time we played, I let him out number me 2or3:1. I also just let him grab any move template from the pile. He likes blowing up my ships, but gets a little frustrated when his blow up. So, the advice I can give is, make it so its fun for your 5 year old. If that means stripping out most of the rules, then so be it. At least you are getting some good ole family, starship blowing up, fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 yr old son gets it. Lives it. But can get too excited and has to be monitored. But like above I praise him when he handles the minis carefully. Btw he's beat 3 games going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
I think that the game is set at 14+ is probably for liability. It does contains small parts, and the models may be fragile.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this legislation is part of the reason. Plus FFG's manuals now have a big disclaimer about how their games aren't toys or intended for players younger than 12, which they didn't used to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of my children played over the course of the game's development. One of my goals was to make sure the Quickstart rules could be read and explained by the older brother (then 8) to the younger brother (then 4) and they could play.

They never went beyond the Quickstart rules, but my older son (now almost 10) has expressed interest in using the full advanced rules and squad building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ephraim Taylor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
My son just turned 7. We have played several matches together (with the Quick Start rules) and had a fun time with it. Over our next few games I plan to slowly introduce more of the mechanics until we are playing with the full rule set. He really enjoys playing the game. As others have stated: Bend or remove whatever rules, consequences or complexity you need to to make it fun for your child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.