Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... so in 9 days, I drop you forever.

SURPRISE!

PS: maybe you shouldn't jack your customers' rates up 25% over the span of six months.

Good riddance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I applaud your strength!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your only other choice is Verizon and you pick it up, chances are you will unhappy in 10 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you! Are switching to satellite or going cordless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
If your only other choice is Verizon and you pick it up, chances are you will unhappy in 10 days.

Fair enough ... yes, I'm switching to Verizon. Fact is, I already had the phone and high-speed, non-DSL internet with Verizon (and paying rougnly $200/month for all three); by simply switching one of them from Comcast, I'm saving about $80/month while upgrading to DSL.

My parents made the switch several months ago, and have had no complaints. And they complain about everything!

Time will tell, and you may well be correct ... but as I'm not going to just give up TV altogether, I'm giving this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Fair enough ... yes, I'm switching to Verizon. Fact is, I already had the phone and high-speed, non-DSL internet with Verizon (and paying rougnly $200/month for all three); by simply switching one of them from Comcast, I'm saving about $80/month while upgrading to DSL.

My parents made the switch several months ago, and have had no complaints. And they complain about everything!

Time will tell, and you may well be correct ... but as I'm not going to just give up TV altogether, I'm giving this a try.

Verizon was good at the start. They brought FIOS into our neighborhood and we were the first to sign up. Pretty crappy contracted cable layers but it worked out.

Just piss poor customer service. You can talk to about 4-5 different people trying to get your bill straightened. My wife signed us up for a contract extension 2 years ago and we were to receive a $320 gift card. The she talked to another rep and they said they didn't even have a deal that included a gift card. So we signed up anyway to lower our rate.

Within 24 hours I got san email from Verizon saying the gift card was being processed. I figured it was just a screwup and didn't think about it until the $320 card showed up 8 weeks later!!

When our contract ended this year, my wife called them to say we wold go month by month and if the rate ever went up, they said they would notify us. Well, the rate went up, they didn't notify us and when my wife called them on it, they told us we had a contract extension - which we did not but they had no recording of our phone call so we're stuck.

My wife does all of the calling because she is a very patient person. With cable companies, all I want to do is ............... never mind.

And here in Delaware, the Comcast customer service reps are sitting behind 2" thick glass. Verizon hasn't had to do this yet, but I see it coming.

What did we do to deserve these companies?

\rant complete/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Verizon was good at the start. They brought FIOS into our neighborhood and we were the first to sign up. Pretty crappy contracted cable layers but it worked out.

Just piss poor customer service. You can talk to about 4-5 different people trying to get your bill straightened. My wife signed us up for a contract extension 2 years ago and we were to receive a $320 gift card. The she talked to another rep and they said they didn't even have a deal that included a gift card. So we signed up anyway to lower our rate.

Within 24 hours I got san email from Verizon saying the gift card was being processed. I figured it was just a screwup and didn't think about it until the $320 card showed up 8 weeks later!!

When our contract ended this year, my wife called them to say we wold go month by month and if the rate ever went up, they said they would notify us. Well, the rate went up, they didn't notify us and when my wife called them on it, they told us we had a contract extension - which we did not but they had no recording of our phone call so we're stuck.

My wife does all of the calling because she is a very patient person. With cable companies, all I want to do is ............... never mind.

And here in Delaware, the Comcast customer service reps are sitting behind 2" thick glass. Verizon hasn't had to do this yet, but I see it coming.

What did we do to deserve these companies?

\rant complete/

Wow.

Well, the wheels are already in motion. I can only hope that my experience is better than what you've been through. (At least I got to talk to a real person when I called. She said she'd call back a day after installation to see if everything went well; time will tell whether she follows through.

Either way, thx for the warning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm planning to switch from Verizon back to Comcast. They both suck, but DSL is horrible. I'm paying for the 3Mb/sec plan (but they only guarantee 1.5 Mb/sec in the fine print), and I only actually get 0.5 Mb/sec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the product, regardless of cost, just call every 6-12 months, complain, have an advert for a competitor on hand, and threaten to switch to said competitor due to their rates. You can't just jump to that though, you gotta squabble a bit first and gradually escalate. More often than not they will cave and give you a lower rate. You have to actually be willing to make the switch though. Their alternative is that they get none of your money, and they really don't want that. If they don't, then you probably don't want their services for the long term anyway because they clearly don't care about your patronage.

Internet/TV/phone services in the USA are ridiculous compared to most developed countries when it comes to quality and price. They can afford you paying less, might as well make 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mospinach wrote:
If you like the product, regardless of cost, just call every 6-12 months, complain, have an advert for a competitor on hand, and threaten to switch to said competitor due to their rates. You can't just jump to that though, you gotta squabble a bit first and gradually escalate. More often than not they will cave and give you a lower rate. You have to actually be willing to make the switch though. Their alternative is that they get none of your money, and they really don't want that. If they don't, then you probably don't want their services for the long term anyway because they clearly don't care about your patronage.

This. I don't have cable, but my in-laws do. They call the cable company at least once a year to complain about the price, and I always marvel at what they can talk them into. They have weaseled their way into getting NFL Red Zone for absolutely free for the past two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
mospinach wrote:

This. I don't have cable, but my in-laws do. They call the cable company at least once a year to complain about the price, and I always marvel at what they can talk them into. They have weaseled their way into getting NFL Red Zone for absolutely free for the past two years.

Or you could just try pleasant social engineering.

I go into the office about twice a year, usually because one of my boxes has stopped working properly, and then very pleasantly tell them something like "geez, the boxes don't last very long do they? I'm here about every five or six months." Then I tell them how happy I am overall and ask "but isn't there any promotion I'm eligible for to lower my bill a little bit?"

It has worked every single time. Sometimes the bill goes down by 30 or 40 bucks for a couple of months, sometimes by $20 or $25 for six months, but they always knock off something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
mospinach wrote:

I always marvel at people who can do this. I just don't have the guts...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Leezer wrote:
mospinach wrote:

I always marvel at people who can do this. I just don't have the guts...

-DK

Me too. It has certainly been an education for me to see their negotiation skills when it comes to getting a good deal. They're like the bargain whisperers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My inspiration can be found HERE. It includes all kinds of amazing stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

While I know everyone's experience differs, I have had Verizon for 12 years or so and have never had a problem with them.

Of course, now that I say that I am sure a giant problem is just around the corner. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
mospinach wrote:
My inspiration can be found HERE. It includes all kinds of amazing stuff.

Can you give an example?

Is it worth it?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got great, sound advice for managing your personal finances, buying new cars, buying a home, insurance, student loans, paying off debt in general, pay TV, cell phone plans, dealing with credit card shenanigans, and some advice for investing your money, such as 401k, mutual funds, basic vs. advanced risk, etc.

I guess one basic example that I've done with my wife has to do with managing finances on a month-to-month basis. First, make sure that any checking accounts you have that are used for personal spending do NOT have "overdraft protection." When it comes to joint accounts, here is the basic idea that we now use: All paychecks and other income go into a single "mother" account, and all necessary spending comes out of that same account: gas, groceries, bills, etc. as well as a regular transfer amount that goes into savings. For personal spending, such as date night or clothing, each partner has their own separate checking account. Whatever money, on average, that is left in the mother account AFTER factoring in all essential costs each month is split evenly between each spouses personal account. No overdraft protection on these accounts! Once you run out of money, you can't buy new shoes or eat out or buy a new board game anymore for the month. That way you never outlive what you actually have, don't incur unnecessary bank fees, and you are much more in tune with your financial situation in general, always a good thing. It sounds harsh, but if you're willing to change your behavior, it's really not a difficult adjustment. There's a lot of emphasis on saving what you can within reason for the eventual rainy day or in preparation for large purchases (home, new car, etc).

The book never glosses over reality, it's harsh at times, but it also has a supportive attitude towards its reader. There's a lot of ways that people are losing money they don't realize they don't have to lose. Some small, small large (especially in the home-buying and credit card sections).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try getting them to lower the rates once, but only got like $20/month off for a few moths. I don't like the hassle of calling them up to argue it, and the very idea that they are willing to lower rates - but only for those that call up - is somewhat vexing.

I'd ditch Comcast in a second if there were other cable choices in my area. Too many TVs in the house for Dish to be a good choice, and the wife and housemate like their football and regular TV shows too much to give up cable.

I hardly watch any regular TV series currently, and I think what I'd miss the most is TCM. When I flip on the idiot box, it's almost always to watch whatever old movies are on TCM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back from turning in my cable TV equipment to Comcast. I am dropping TB and Phone, keeping only Internet.

I don't have any real alternatives on Internet -- I do enough streaming media that DSL isn't a very good option for me. But I will probably get some heat for keeping even that, because on my income I shouldn't be on the Internet.

Ten years ago it was said that 90% of the people on the Internet had no business being there. IF anything, the proportion may have gone up in the intervening decade. An ubiquitous, commercialized source of mindless entertainment and utter disinformation was not the purpose for which the Internet was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
While I've mostly not had any problems with Verizon, one time I wanted to lower my bill and the person on the phone was a real ass about it. I called and stated that they had, for some reason, given me all these extra channels that I had no use for and wanted to get rid of them to lower my bill. So the woman on the phone starts listing the channels by saying "X Channel removed, total Y dollars". Well, every time she stated the same amount, so I asked if removing the channels was actually lowering my bill, to which she said "I'm just quoting your basic bill". Which is totally meaningless, but when I asked how much money I would be saving with the channels off she just quoted the same amount.

Then, when I got my next bill, it was, of course, more than she said. The next person I talked to was worth something, but still it was frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
mospinach wrote:

And word to the wise, this works on credit card companies also. They should be your beyotch, not the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take heed all ye internet users and TV watchers: http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-google-fiber-is-li...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mospinach wrote:

Internet/TV/phone services in the USA are ridiculous compared to most developed countries when it comes to quality and price. They can afford you paying less, might as well make 'em!

After seeing the prices, I can only wonder how they can be so ridiculously expensive in the US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.