Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kulik
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused on the -hit ratings for someone on the edge of a mesa.

Say this example character A is standing at the edge of a mesa shooting at B. | is the mesa edge and X are forests.

A|XXXB

Do I get -3 to hit roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, the -1 modifier due to Mesa only applies to the lower unit firing on the higher unit.

Also, if A and B were on the same level, then each Woods hex along the line of sight would contribute a -1 modifier. However, with A on a mesa, only the Woods hex immediately in front of the lower unit would contribute a -1 modifier.

In your example, A suffers a -1 modifier for the woods immediately in front of B. However, if B were shooting at A, it would suffer a -2 modifier: -1 for the woods, and -1 for being lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kulik
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
First of all, the -1 modifier due to Mesa only applies to the lower unit firing on the higher unit.

Also, if A and B were on the same level, then each Woods hex along the line of sight would contribute a -1 modifier. However, with A on a mesa, only the Woods hex immediately in front of the lower unit would contribute a -1 modifier.

In your example, A suffers a -1 modifier for the woods immediately in front of B. However, if B were shooting at A, it would suffer a -2 modifier: -1 for the woods, and -1 for being lower.

Thanks, so the only terrain that affects hit rating is the one directly in front of the target on the ground and like you mentioned, -1 hit to shoot up at someone on a mesa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuliksco wrote:
saxophone wrote:

Thanks, so the only terrain that affects hit rating is the one directly in front of the target on the ground and like you mentioned, -1 hit to shoot up at someone on a mesa.

The terrain in the target's hex also applies. I hope this is obvious.

Allow me to be more precise and quote the Masters Addendum rulebook (which is available online).

Quote:
For Mesa LOS, these terrain types affect only the space(s) immediately behind
them.

Line of sight is mutual, so if the firer is at ground level with woods in front of him at a target on a mesa-crest, then the terrain modifier for the woods in front of the shooter applies.

And there is a -1 modifier when shooting from ground level to a unit on a mesa.

And there is a -1 modifier when the shooter is lower than the target

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kulik
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
kuliksco wrote:
saxophone wrote:

The terrain in the target's hex also applies. I hope this is obvious.

Allow me to be more precise and quote the Masters Addendum rulebook (which is available online).

Quote:
For Mesa LOS, these terrain types affect only the space(s) immediately behind
them.

Line of sight is mutual, so if the firer is at ground level with woods in front of him at a target on a mesa-crest, then the terrain modifier for the woods in front of the shooter applies.

And there is a -1 modifier when shooting from ground level to a unit on a mesa.

And there is a -1 modifier when the shooter is lower than the target

Thanks. I was confused about the rule that says terrain types immediately behind them. I would think it should have said immediately in front of them.

So, a ground target gets -2 when shooting at a target on a mesa? -1 for being lower and -1 for shooting at a mesa target? Or were you just giving an example and it would only be -1?

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuliksco wrote:

So, a ground target gets -2 when shooting at a target on a mesa? -1 for being lower and -1 for shooting at a mesa target? Or were you just giving an example and it would only be -1?

No. A ground firer (in your example) gets the 2 modifier because it is shooting up at a mesa AND because it is behind the woods. The woods modifier works both ways. The mesa modifier only applies if the firer is lower than the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kulik
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
kuliksco wrote:

No. A ground firer (in your example) gets the 2 modifier because it is shooting up at a mesa AND because it is behind the woods. The woods modifier works both ways. The mesa modifier only applies if the firer is lower than the target.

Thanks. I did not realize you were referring to the forest. I got it now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.