Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm mistaken here, please, correct me. But this all seems a bit fishy.

Ted Alspach, the designer of this game, also writes the comic strip "Board 2 Pieces." I assume, therefore, that he awards the Board 2 Pieces (B2P) Game of the Year awards to various games. And ... surprise! It seems he always picks games that he designed himself. So on the boxes, it might say something like "B2P GAME OF THE YEAR" on a big shiny golden sun icon right on the front of the game box. What the heck?! I'm pretty sure that most average people looking at these game boxes would have no idea that this "award" is given out by the game's DESIGNER, for god's sake (or, in this case, for Ted's sake...). Does anyone else see a problem with this?

That would be like me designing a car and then proclaiming to the world that my car is the highest-rated car of all time on car-awesome-reviews.com (because that's my own website, and I'm the one who posted all the reviews!). Then on top of that, I might just go on another website and brag about how my car also won the "ALL-TIME HIGHEST-RATED SAFEST AND MOST FUEL EFFICIENT CAR ACCORDING TO ABF" award (see, I'd use my initials so that it looks like an organization is giving out the award, rather than a single person who uses a normal first and last name). Isn't that an amazing idea?! The real kicker is, I would almost certainly get sued for misleading people about a car that I developed, but if I did the same with a board game that I designed, no one would care (or even notice, apparently).

Afterward, the designer writes in the News forums here on the Geek about how his games have won the Game of the Year awards!! With plenty of exclamation points and excitement abounding, like he just can't believe he's won something!! Then he refers to himself indirectly, and in the third person plural: "Obviously the folks at Board 2 Pieces know their dexterity games. Beer & Pretzels is quite deserving of this award, even if it is a year or two late...." Is this supposed to be an obvious joke, and I'm just missing the bit that clarifies it as a load of humorous irony?

Again, if I'm wrong in any way, please let me know. I don't mean this to be a personal attack on the designer or anything. After all, the games themselves are good. I'm just concerned about the dishonest/misleading/shameless self-promotion that these games appear to reek of.

Something Smells Gamey indeed.

P.S., I'm going to give myself a thumbs-up for this post, because it will help to promote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Laeidz87 wrote:

P.S., I'm going to give myself a thumbs-up for this post, because it will help to promote it.

This pretty much sums it up.

I'm thinking ANYONE can have an award for ANYTHING.

I'm sure their is certain criteria, and the Ted's games all meet this criteria. If you don't submit games to compete for the award, it's not the award giver's fault.

Unless you've been in a box for a million years. EVERYTHING is done this way...

Propositions to vote on...
Car commercials....
LeBron's DECISION!
etc....

I enjoy WW. I don't care if it's won an award.
I compare it to Movie Critics. I only go see movies they hate, because they seem to be the best ones. The movies they rate "highly"...er...monetary kickback... are usually crap 85% of the time.

Think of ALL the games NOT to win an award that are FANTASTIC...
Don't worry about it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for both of these thumbsup

Popular Tags: when_I_think_about_you_I_thumb_myself [+] mastur-thumbing [+]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ted Alspach, the designer of this game, also writes the comic strip "Board 2 Pieces." I assume, therefore, that he awards the Board 2 Pieces (B2P) Game of the Year awards to various games. And ... surprise! It seems he always picks games that he designed himself.

This clearly has the makings of something quite sinister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
This clearly has the makings of something quite sinister.

I'm inclined to agree with you!

And what about your thoughts on this, Ted? I want your perspective on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Ted is well known for double-dealing*, kicking puppies**, stealing candy from babies***, and late delivery of kickstarter games****, in this case it's a simple matter of him shamelessly ripping off an old Monty Python gag. They were always putting messages like "Winner of the 1989 PYTHON PRIZE for their own books" on the backs of their books (and records).

* in games! only in games!
** not really
*** babies shouldn't eat candy
**** tease him about this, he loves it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squonk wrote:
While Ted is well known for double-dealing*, kicking puppies**, stealing candy from babies***, and late delivery of kickstarter games****, in this case it's a simple matter of him shamelessly ripping off an old Monty Python gag. They were always putting messages like "Winner of the 1989 PYTHON PRIZE for their own books" on the backs of their books (and records).

That's just what I was hoping for: a gag! But, as I indicated above, I just didn't see the bit that really presents it as a joke. The Pythons were so blatantly obvious about their own self promoting that any genius, idiot, or fish named Eric could see it as an instantly funny joke. These B2P awards just seem underhanded rather than jocular.

Then again, maybe not. That's why I'd like Ted to give an answer about it instead of sidestepping the question, as above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No real reply. I guess we can consider the matter closed....

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pinegar
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Hey if ya'll aren't satisfied with Ultimate Werewolves and if your interested. On Kickstarter, there is another rendition of Werewolves. This rendition you receive a character card and an identity that gives you a hinderance or a strength. Also it gives different scenario cards as well to change up the game. There's a total of 80 cards. Check it out and see for yourself if you think it's worth it. It's supposed to get shipped by the Christmas Holidays or close to.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/30475538/village-wolves-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These B2P strips from 2008 may help assuage your concerns (and explain the tongue-in-cheek responses):

Shilling Ultimate Werewolf: Part 1

Shilling Ultimate Werewolf: Part 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.