Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it in a local shop and the yellow on the wings (are the wings non-painted yellow plastic?) seems to be quite different from the yellow on the fuselage (yellow painted over the green paint). Is that what it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All the components are painted, but the fuselage is metal, and the wings are plastics, so the same color may take a slightly different hue depending on the lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto, all humbly - it was a big difference, clearly visible. The yellow on the fuselage was painted over the green. My guess is, that the green fuselage from the other model was used for this one, and then it got that additional yellow paint. That's why the difference - the yellow was darker, with green hue.
Also the steel frame of the cockpit is painted, which is superb. However - considering this great effort - i have no clue why you guys left the bottom and lower sides of the cockpit in glass. Look at the pictures of real Mitchells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, all feedback is greatly appreciated, we work hard to do quality model, but we must still look for ways to improve.

Yes, the yellow indeed is painted over the green - that's a normal way to do a camo painting (and in fact, it's just the same as it happens in a real camo).
You start with a color which covers the entire model (or section of a model), then you apply the new color.
But yellow is a color which does not "cover" much, so the effect worked better on the wings (which are plastic) and less well on the fuselage (which is metal). But I admit, the way the yellow and green take different hues on different parts on this model is not fully to my satisfaction, either, and we are looking for ways to avoid this effect in future models with similar features.

You're right about the "nose" painting. We should enroll you in our QC team, because this detail went through at least 4 checks unnoticed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto, thank you for your answer. Apart from my critique words above, i really appreciate the changes in graphic design of the paper components, and i really appreciate your approach.

EDIT: I dare say one last thing, and i've heard quite a number of people not being too happy with ... you guys may want to use matte paints - the glossy finishing doesn't look that realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a B-25 under full light. You probably saw the model with less lighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was just an ordinary pair of fluorescent tube lights at the shop and the game room, where i have seen the differences. Certainly more than enough light to see, play and read rules without harming your eyes. However, the tube light may help the green element in the paint to get visible. I will take it out of the house as soon as i am back there, and report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - glossy paints have to go. They may work with modern day airplanes, but the effect is not good for airplanes of this period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
This is a B-25 under full light. You probably saw the model with less lighting.

Here is a picture in about 20 cm distance from a 100w bulb. I have no idea how did you achieve that kind of yellow, all around and even on your picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was in my dining room, at night, by an iPhone, with two lights from bulbs - the one on the dining table where the plane was put (not just under the light because it would give bad glaring) and a side lamp from the sofa.
Under there, the same picture taken with a flash.
I think that the colors of the two different surfaces work well in daylight, worse on artificial light. The stronger lighting you get, the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea i am not gonna oppose this. I was just gonna point out a little flaw, and i have proven that on my picture. Also, i noticed that the green Mitchell that doesn't have the rear machine gun (to get more space for explosives i guess) actually does have the rare machine gun mounted. The Mitchell above, which can shoot back, doesn't have that rear machine gun mounted. I mean i can live with these things, i can also live with my new wash-bowl scratched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know that there is no malice and that we all have the aim to do the best, learning from the past to make better in the future.

On the rear machinegun, what I can say is...

- True that Doolittle's machines had no machineguns on the tail. But Captain C. Ross Greening, the armament officer, suggested to paint two broomsticks black and to put them in place of the machineguns so to deceive enemy pilots approaching. That's why the model has something looking like tail "machineguns", but they can not fire.

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=16165

http://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/pearl-harbor-blog/aircr...

- Bauer's B-25C is supposed not to have machineguns as in the model:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_6.html

Coherently, our model can not fire to the rear, as by the plane card and management card - only with optional altitude rules to lower targets thanks to the ventral turret (that Doolittle removed from his B-25B planes), within its 360° field of fire.
Details here:

http://www.aresgames.eu/4446

Be careful not to confuse the upper turret field with a rear cone: it is an about 270° forward field of fire, not an about 90° rear one (see where the almost complete red circle for machinegun #2 is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea thank you very much for your explanation and correction . That trick with the fake machine guns is one cunning idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Roberto, if this is supposed to be Dora, then i would like to enroll to your to your QC team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan, I double-checked with our documentation - and apart from the fact that you're looking at this model magnified 5X (so for example there's nothing like the "sharp edges" you mentioned on our FB page when you see the actual plastic-metal 1/200 thingie) I can not see what is your issue with the canopy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Roberto, thank you for checking it out. It may be the light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make clear what i mean i am sending these pictures for comparison:

Here is what i see on your picture (FW 190A)

and here is what i expected to see (FW 190D)

Thank you again for being so considerate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.