Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all
I've never been a fan of magic the gathering, I think I played it on Xbox a couple of times.

I like the sound of Mage wars as its not a lcg and the fact you can play any spell etc, so you aren't dictated to by a deck of cards. I think that's what I disliked about mtg.

I love the fantasy theme, I have descent, defenders of the realm to name a few. I've also played dominion & ascension.

So just looking for your thoughts on whether it will scratch my itch?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I would say, no. It would help to know what about mtg you don't like, but these two games are quite different beasts. Sure, you pretend to be a Mage in each game and cards represent creatures and spells so if you hate that you gonna have a bad time with this game. However, if you, like me, felt drawn to the idea of choosing your spells from the spellbook and moving around in the arena I would highly recommend the game. Best purchase of 2012 by a long shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never a fan of MtG and I love Mage Wars. The combination of spellbook creation, spell casting nuiances and objects maneuvering within an arena setting create a wonderful experience IMO.

The one caveat to be aware of it in comparison to the other games on your list is that this primarily a two-player game. Your other games are more multiplayer in nature. I would recommend learning this in groups of two before moving to 4 players at a time in the arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Mage wars because it was everything I wanted MTG to be.

So if you do not like Magic the Gathering, I think you will really appreciate this game.

No drawing the wrong card, no waiting on drawing the right resources...

And you get to roll dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brilliant, that's kinda the feedback I was after.

Thanks for all your feedback, gotta feeling this will be purchased next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
CombatWombat81 wrote:
Best purchase of 2012 by a long shot.

Wow! What a great endorsement!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.