Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Z
Germany
Holzminden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started to play and were fascinated by this game. Yesterday we played it three times in a row and finally defeated the black dragon.

What I really love about the game:

+ It is really storytelling
+ Every time it plays differently
+ The artwork is great
+ It is a fantasy game but with lighter theme
+ Although there are random factors in the game, it is necessary to plan and possible to win by good gameplay
+ It sometimes feels like a riddle how and when each character should act
+ Just by killing monsters as much as you can will lead to your defeat
+ The game has kind of an AI, so that the monsters appear and move "by themselves" (but of course the game itself can not really "react" or change its strategy in order to deal with the actions of the heroes. Nevertheless the heroes actions trigger meaningfull events)So sometimes it feels like playing a videogame (in a good sense)

I think it is a perfect blend of an american- and eurostyle type of game and it definitely opens a new era of boardgaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for sharing your impressions!

Can the game be played in solitaire mode if a player controls all the heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borys Zaba-Zabinski
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is there really lot of text that ALL players need to read? Or is it possible for one player to read out loud everything for others? (I am thinking to play this with my 7 yr son).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think it is a perfect blend of an american- and eurostyle type of game and it definitely opens a new era of boardgaming!

Hi Frank,

I am also interested in the game too. However, what does the first sentence mean with regards to "lighter theme"?

Do you mean Ameritrash? Does the game appeal to traditional wargamer as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Player
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If I remember right, the relevant text is only on the narrator-cards.
The narrator-cards should be read Out loud by one while the other players listen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 5 yo son, there is absolutely no secret text.

As for the "lighter theme", I don't want to answer for Frank, but for myself the theme in Andor is more family friendly than in your average ameritrash: less violence in illustrations, less bizarre baroque characters, etc.
In fact it's some kind of historical fantasy, somewhere between Celtic and Germanic legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Quote:

Hi Frank,

I am also interested in the game too. However, what does the first sentence mean with regards to "lighter theme"?

"Light theme" usually refers to euro style games (which LoA is). Though, for a euro, Andor has a pretty good level of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artyus
msg tools
mb
I agree with you Frank, I play my first game yesterday (with my wife) and at the end of 2nd legend (won after 2 hours of play we were both VERY EXCITED! One of the most beautiful boardgame ever played!
Great job, Mr. Menzel!

PS: I'm already at work to create my first legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Quote:

Hi Frank,

"Light theme" usually refers to euro style games (which LoA is). Though, for a euro, Andor has a pretty good level of theme.

I imagine he meant "lighter" as opposed to "darker" (rather than lighter/heavier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zolle
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
thank you for sharing your impressions!

Can the game be played in solitaire mode if a player controls all the heroes?

Yes, Marco. I've heard my friends say you can do it. I love solitaire games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It even can be played solo controlling as few as 2 characters, or even 1 with the official variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel

Valencia
Valencia
msg tools
Heaven's gate
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be played solo but no matter the number of player it does'nt change the level of dificulty. Playing with two or three characters is hard to get. I recommend to play it four characters even in the solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, actually the level of difficulty does change with the number of characters but not with obvious mechanisms, I've listed the levers I've identified here http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10505467#10505467

I regularly play it with two and it works. It's challenging but it works.

Of course it can be fun to play it with four too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Z
Germany
Holzminden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

thank you for all your replies. Sorry for answering late. I try to answer as many of your questions as possible. To Marco: Solitaire mode is not mentioned directly. But it is possible to play it that way and there is even a new created file on the web about a way to play one mission solo. At least I think it is not a problem to play solo by controlling 2-4 heroes - but it will be much more fun to play it with others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Z
Germany
Holzminden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Borys,

the introduction feels right the way as the tutorials in a videogame. You learn how to play step by step. One can start playing very early. While doing more and more missions, you learn more options. All in all there is more playing than reading. The rules are streamlined, easy to learn and to remember (no need of a players aid - but even that comes with the game!).

One member of my gaming group enjoys the game with his son too. The play it quite often (although the son tries to kill all the monsters - which is leading to defeat if not carefully planed).

Because some story-event cards have nice flavour text, it adds some atmosphere if someone is reading it out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Z
Germany
Holzminden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lawrence,

I meant, that there is not directly this Elf, Warrior, Dwarf, Mage stuff. Nevertheless there are dwarfs mentioned in the story and there is a bowman that comes quite close to the characteristic of a common Elf - but all hero characters look mostly like ordenary humans. But somehow it feels and sounds often like Lord of the Ring.

I find it a little bit better to have a little bit more distance to the common fantasy stereotypes.

Because I am not a wargamer I can't assess whether it would be suitable to this group. I suppose not because it is not so abstract and complicated to manage. And figthing and killing is not the main thing.

It is more about managing and coordination of actions and timing. So it is not "typical american style" because throwing dices and killing monsters is just a minor part of the game(which I like). You won't win just by attacking and having good dice results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.