Subject: Dice roll statistics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oszvald Juhasz
Hungary
Helvécia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who wondered before, I just made some statistics of our past few games (241 dice rolls). I wrote up all the dice roll results, and punched them into an excel diagram.
Behold! (real results)

Then just for fun, I made a random number generation on computer for 2d6, and this is the result for same number of rolls:

For 10000 rolls, the computer-generated numbers seem to be more equalized, but the thief still remains very active:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
bigbluehun wrote:

For those who wondered before, I just made some statistics of our past few games. I wrote up all the dice roll results, and punched them into an excel diagram.
Behold!
Depending on how many die rolls in your statistics you may want to consider using the "Event Cards," getting new dice or a much larger sample size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oszvald Juhasz
Hungary
Helvécia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the result of 241 rolls. For larger numbers, fully-balanced dice, the results would be different.
Considering you have 36 different results from 2d6 rolls, you will have:
- 1 roll of 2 in every 36,
- 2 rolls of 3 in every 36,
- 3 rolls of 4 in every 36,
- 4 rolls of 5 in every 36,
- 5 rolls of 6 in every 36,
- 6 rolls of 7 in every 36,
- 5 rolls of 8 in every 36,
- 4 rolls of 9 in every 36,
- 3 rolls of 10 in every 36,
- 2 rolls of 11 in every 36,
- 1 roll of 2 in every 36.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller

Missouri
msg tools
Right. It's a statistical certainty that with fair dice and an infinite number of rolls, the distribution will approach the numbers that Oszvald gives. For more detailed info, the wikipedia article is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice#Probability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gansen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOO for Math! Yes, as the trials increase it is likely the rolls will become closer to their theoretical probability. What makes Settlers great is that within a game that may have under 300 dice rolls, it may not be an accurate sample size. I played a game on thanksgiving and we hand many more 9s and 5s than we did 6s. Yea math!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.