Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I finally played our first game of Vinhos last night - it was great! We are looking forward to many future plays (hopefully with more people).

With that said, what are some other fantastic (easily available) economic games - things somewhat like Vinhos. The games must work well with as few as 2-players. We like the produce/advertise/sell aspects of Vinhos - it felt a bit like a simulation. So, simulation-type games would be nice suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a toughie, because most economic games are designed for 3 or more players. I have never played Chicago Express with 2, but it is supposed to work that way. (Well, actually I have only played Wabash Cannonball, but it is supposed to be the same game.)

Not sure how well Upon A Salty Ocean plays with 2.

Navegador plays with 2, but there is only a little bit of economics in it, compared with Vihnos.

I've heard good things about The Pillars of the Earch: Builders Duel but have never played this one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy At the Gates of Loyang with 2p. I wrote a review, so people could get a feel if it was the right fit for them. You buy vegetables, plant them, trade them, and sell them, sometimes to one-time customers and sometimes to long-term customers.

The next time there's a reprint, check out Roads & Boats, as I have a feeling that you might enjoy it.

We play Brass on the full board (though you can block off a corner or print a 2p board if you want the space tighter). We just adjust the cards so they work out better with 2p. I'm usually anti-loans in games, but Brass is the game that made me change my mind. Lots of clever stuff going on.

Navagador looks like a ship exploration game, and to some degree it is, but it's really about the market going up and down, and the prices for items changing as you and your opponent buy things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prêt-à-Porter
Automobile
Any of the "Key" games, if you can track them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo...2 player only.

Goa....auction phase really makes you watch your money. And it plays well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Prêt-à-Porter
Automobile
Any of the "Key" games, if you can track them down.

My experience with Automobile is that it isn't really worthwhile unless you've got 5. It just doesn't feel competitive enough (in a god way) with less than 5.

What about Power Grid with the Robots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Vinhos then definitely check out Grand Cru! I just posted up a video review of it here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/23085/grand-cru/the-varia...

I own both and my wife and I rate Grand Cru higher than Vinhos. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More is also a nice game. It works well with two and it's a building/economic game. You 'build' your clan/land, produce resources and make whisky and it has an innovative turn sequence and scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me like you're looking for games where you create something and then sell it (or otherwise exchange it for points/influence, etc.), rather than looking for a market-based economy game where supply-and-demand come into play. Assuming that's correct, here are a few recommendations:

In Opera, you are producing musical works in a somewhat similar way to producing wine in Vinhos. Might be worth a look.

In Shipyard, you sail what you build rather than selling it, but the basic feel is the same.

Like Vinhos, Cuba lets you produce items and either sell them to the local market or export them (via ship).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Not sure how well Upon A Salty Ocean plays with 2.

Sadly, not very well. (And my wife and I are much more relaxed about what's "good with two" than BGG seems to be overall.)

In Upon A Salty Ocean, the game is restricted to two types of goods... salt and one type of fish. This limits the interest of the economy a lot. The rest of the board remains very, very open... so there's little competition for spaces.

Since we are almost always playing either 2P or 5P and Salty only plays 2-4, we're going to give it one more play at 2P and then most likely (disappointedly) trade it. My expectation is that it would be a pretty nice game with 4P... but we almost never have that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Empire Builder or any of its related games. Spend money to build railroad track, move your train to pick up goods here and sell them there. Works with any number from two to six. These are not terribly competitive games; my wife and I enjoy them as a pleasant way to spend an afternoon or evening when we don't feel like playing something cutthroat.

A better series with a similar theme and idea is Railways of the World, which also works for two to six players. The huge Eastern U.S. map that comes with the game is not really suitable for two, but the smaller Mexico map that's also included should be fine for two (and more, when you have more players). This is a much more competitive game than Empire Builder. It's been a favorite of mine since long before (disclaimer here!) I became involved in designing expansions for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody recommended Genoa for 2 in a different thread. I keep meaning to try that game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Container and Brass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Container and Brass.

Container isn't good with 2. There is a 2 person version for BGG for Brass here on BGG, and I've heard nice things about it. I wouldn't expect the standard game to be good with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops I missed the 2 player only aspect. Container is still my favorite economic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But yeah, Brass is great even with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not widely recognized, Jet Set is one of my own highest rated games. The map will remind you of TtR:Europe, and you do complete routes to collect points, but you must constantly manage the income from existing routes in order to purchase more of them (for game points). I find pleasure in performing that task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.