The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Rick B.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you build more then one invention that requires the same requirement. For example I have built the rope. The next turn I want to build the snare, the mast, and the bow......all of which require the rope to build.

My understanding is all actions are taken simultaneously. So thematically does it make sense that I can build all three of these inventions on the same turn and share the rope between all players that are building the three inventions? Or could I only build one this round, using the rope and then build another next round using the rope etc.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
North Canuck wrote:
Can you build more then one invention that requires the same requirement. For example I have built the rope. The next turn I want to build the snare, the mast, and the bow......all of which require the rope to build.

My understanding is all actions are taken simultaneously. So thematically does it make sense that I can build all three of these inventions on the same turn and share the rope between all players that are building the three inventions? Or could I only build one this round, using the rope and then build another next round using the rope etc.

Thanks

All actions are not taken simultaneously. They are taken in the order described in the rulebook. And if you are building two items then you build them sequentially. So yes, if you have an item that fulfills the requirements for two other inventions then you can build both, there is no rule to say you can only build one. Have fun! Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
All actions are not taken simultaneously. They are taken in the order described in the rulebook.

What he meant is not the actions on the board but the actions in the gameworld. They are considered to be happen simultaneously. So if I gather wood and build something I do the gather ressource action firt and afterward the building action. But ingame it is considered tp happen the same time so I can't use the wood from the gathering ressource action for building during the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Silingiewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North Canuck wrote:

Thanks

My understanding of rules is that if You want to invent something this round - You have to fulfill it requirements in the planning phase. I guess discovering a rope allows You to take all the actions that need rope in one turn ( let's say all castaways are sharing it during the day ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:

All actions are not taken simultaneously. They are taken in the order described in the rulebook. And if you are building two items then you build them sequentially. So yes, if you have an item that fulfills the requirements for two other inventions then you can build both, there is no rule to say you can only build one. Have fun! Rick

Page 8. Under the title "VERY IMPORTANT!" 3rd Paragraph:

"... They cannot use any resources gained in the same Action phase (although Actions are resolved in a certain order, you should always imagine that they are all done simultaneous), so when planning Actions, you should not only assign pawns to certain Actions, but it's also recommended to assign the required resources from the Availabel Resources space...
... The same applies to Items- you can only use items during this Phase which you already had while planning the Actions."

I think this is where maybe the OP has some confussion.
I've found that when resolving queries about the Robinson rules, applying a "real life" situation often helps.

So, I agree with Ricky, in the case of the OP's question, assuming that the rope has already been "invented", then he can cut a length of rope, in order to build X, then later the same day cut another length of rope to build Y, and so on. I don't think the he "Uses" all the rope, just a length of it.

When it comes to the action phase, I imagine it's simply a case of "what I did during day n" this I believe is also part of the reasoning behind the "candles" being called "candles", as they allowed you to work into the night (do an extra action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly. The rules tell you that you need the items when you plan. There is no mention of actions being performed simultaneously. On the contrary the rules say you perform them in a certain sequential order. And there is no rule to say cannot use the same requirement twice in the same turn. Hopefully the OP has got the answer now ! bye, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks for the replies. I do understand now.

We played it right then.....and therefore secured a legitimate victory. Thank-you Ignacy for a fantastic game. A game my wife actually likes!

FINALLY......... :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should try it on my wife then, you're the second person who has said that their (non-gaming) wife enjoyed playing it.

Ignacy could be onto something here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.