Subject: Can troops of the same faction attack each other? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an enterprise that is being extorted by a 2 strength regular troop card. Can I drive it off with a 3 strength regular troop card, or do I need to use troops from one of the other 3 factions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forlorn hope wrote:
I have an enterprise that is being extorted by a 2 strength regular troop card. Can I drive it off with a 3 strength regular troop card, or do I need to use troops from one of the other 3 factions?

They might be regular troops but they are loyal to you, so no problem sending them against those other "regular" troops that happen to be regular but commanded by a really suspicious guy who isn't really loyal.

Short answer: I'd say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
Short answer: I'd say yes.

I'm inclined to agree. I looked through the rules and didn't find anything that would block what you suggest. It might be helpful to downplay violence in the deployment and dislodging of troops. For instance, there are some Federales guarding (extorting a bank) and another set come along and "relieve them of duty." The incoming group has more rank (firepower) and so the previous unit steps down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys. That's the way I was playing it, but I just thought I'd check if other people were playing it the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yup

historically your level 3 general is showing up and absorbing the forces already there... they're not really attacking themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
forlorn hope wrote:

As mentioned under 'Redeploy' in the glossary, there is no distinction between being defeated (by opposing troops) or 'relieved' (by allied troops). In both cases, the displaced troops lose whatever marginal loyalty they had with you. 'Loyalty' is an inappropriate term here, it is a purely pragmatic allegiance with whoever provides for the troop's supplies.

The living rules contain an optional rule (listed in the 'Retreat' glossary entry) that distinguishes between being defeated or relieved, allowing the latter to Retreat: "Optional: troops that are replaced by other troops of the same color are NOT defeated, only “relieved”. Such troops CAN be retreated."

A reminder that if you wish access to the googledocs Living Rules for Pax Porfiriana, in which you can download or make suggestions or add comments, drop a line to phileklund@gmail.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.. am definitely playing it that way. It makes sense thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.