Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was real excited to bring this game to my gaming group this past Friday. I had played 3 times before. Twice with 3 players and once solo. Had won 2 out of the 3 games.

My game group is a group of 3(myself included) and we rotate game choice each week. So I choose ShadowRift for this past week. I had had a lot of fun playing it before. I love deck builders and co-op games. As a group we have played plenty of deck builders, other then recently playing D-Day Dice, this might of been our first co-op as group.

We played 3 times and lost each time. First two times we played against the Necromancers. The first game we did manage to get out the three ShadowRifts but we only got one closed before we lost. It would of been 2 closed but the Southirster was out and he killed all the Heroisms so even though I had a Seal I didn't have the extra magic to close it. I knew from playing before we didn't want him to come out but no one had an explore when he came out and there was enough power there to bring him out.

The next game went worse. And the final game against the Dragons, two of us concentrated on killing while one person tried to build walls. Again we did not succeed. And there were complaints about all the wounds from the burns.

My friends came away feeling that it was impossible to build all 8 walls and the only way to win would be to close the ShadowRift but that it was too hard to build your deck and kill the monsters and hire new villagers and build walls too. They felt that there was too much going on and it was impossible to do it all and when you consintrated on one thing the game beat because you neglected the other.

So now I am bummed because I had ablast playing this before and think it is a good game but somehow we had a bad experience and it won't see a return to the table at my game group and I'll have to play it as a solo from now on.

I see a lot of people posting how easy the game is but most if not all of those post are from 2 player games.

How do you guys tackle this game? I think maybe we made the mistake to explore too often to get to the ShadowRifts, without being able to close them so the just added more monster power. Are you suppose to go through the monster deck more then once to killing all the monsters so you get a lot of Heroism, so you can build the walls? If so how do you keep your village from filling up with too many courpses?

I like this game and any help would be appreciated. Maybe if I can figure out what we were doing wrong I can convince them to give it one more shot.

Now I have played other co-ops and I know they can be tough and that you do lose. Ghost Stories is ridiculously tough and Pandemic can be rough at times. And I like fighting against the game engine and working together to try to figure it out and the excitement you get when you finally do win but maybe it's not my gaming groups cup of tea. Wish it was though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hickey
msg tools
mbmbmb
There's no one answer to your questions on strategy. Different monster decks and different card options will need different approaches.

The most common mistake I think I make is failing to plan to hire specific walls or villagers. If you know you're going to lose a lot of Villagers, plan ahead on getting the Gravedigger. If you know you'll be taking a lot of wounds, plan ahead on getting the Innkeeper. These things make a difference.

Against Dragons, my usual plan would be to try to get the Magic Barrier early. Dragons come out slowly, but take high impact actions. Being able to negate one is wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
One of Many Mikes
badge
Ribbit..?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played games with 2, 4, and 6 players. I feel the game is balanced no matter how many players you have, but the way the game plays in each case is drastically different.

In a 2 player game, I find that there is a turning point. Before you have much heroism, it is easy to get overrun. Once you get enough, however, the game is a cakewalk. The difference with larger groups is that each player gets heroism at a much slower rate. The trick is balancing your roles for the specific monster group that you are fighting. My group of 6 played against the Fire Dragons and just barely won. We had 2 fighters, who stocked up on Frenzy skills to make use of the barrage of wounds that were coming in. One person was a dedicated mage, who was our main Seal user. Two people were dedicated entirely to the town: recruiting travellers, building walls, etc (and hence bought most of the Might cards). I played a support role, buying Rousing Speech and Bamboozles, and a couple of backup Seals. It was a very close game, and in retrospect we should have had a couple more Seals floating around. At one point we had 6 cards in the monster power area, but we were able to pull out a win in the end.

It will also come down to the demeanor of the group. Out of the 6 of us, 5 had a great time, and one was frustrated by all of the burns and wounds (despite the fact that he had fewer of both than anybody else at the table). If your group is feeling this way, try another monster group. The dragons are particularly bad for clogging the player decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 3-player game against the Shadow Lords this weekend and won. We also fought the dragons and lost. I played a 4-player game against the Dragons, and we had the entire burn deck distributed, and it came down to 1 turn (we lost, but almost won). It's definitely not impossible. I know the StormKnight says he wins almost all games with walls, and I think he plays with 2 players playing 2 heroes each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
I would only give one advice : kill the monsters.
It must be your priority : forget about walls, villagers and so on until you are ready.
A monster you don't kill adds corpses, and later more monsters. A monster you kill gives heroism cards - and without heroism cards, you can forget about building walls, adding villagers and sealing gates.
And as active monsters destroy walls and kill the villagers, you may lose the time and cards you invested in building if you can't keep the monsters in check.

The first part of the game is all about keeping the monsters in check. You need more attack power, and an efficient attack deck. Explore the most dangerous monsters out the way, but keep the ones you can kill fast. All you need is attack power, and ways to get rid of wounds if possible. IF you can't manage to keep all the monsters out, you'll have to invest in corpse management - but investing in corpse prevention is more efficient
Once you've survived the first wawes of monsters, you'll have enough heroism to keep fighting AND build a better village at the same time.
Kill them and tend your wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everybody for all your ideas and advice. They are great. Now hopefully I can convince my group to give it an other go...

If not or even if I do convince them I think I will play some 3 handed Solo games and try these ideas out to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing I have observed is this:

Wounds slow you down. They take up space. The presence of a wound means you have less of a chance of getting good and valuable cards. To some extent, having wounds is fine, and ignoring them is okay. But getting rid of a wound increases the likelihood that you get good cards in your future draws. In contrast, buying new cards DECREASES your likelihood of getting all the other good cards you have. Its ability to decrease wounds is also minimal. At the point where you have about 1/4 of your deck being wounds, or maybe a little more, you should work more on getting rid of wounds.

With burns, this is not the case. A burn multiplies itself, in a sense. It is always better to get rid of it. Heroism will be your friend here. With heroism it is definitely cheaper to get rid of a burn than a wound. With few exception, I recommend getting rid of wounds, even at the expense of getting something else good, unless it would be fate-changing (Like getting the bard, and you're the only one who could do it).

Sealing away Shadowrifts gets you heroism for everyone (I somehow forget that rule). Heroism with 4+ games tends to get distributed fast to everyone. I've even run out.

I have personally seen few times where walls have helped me enough. Usually they just get destroyed. Some of the magic walls can help a lot, though. Building them is nice as a buffer. If the stonemason is there, I recommend building one, otherwise I don't try to win through walls. I tried once and got slaughtered by the Demons.

My strategies: With dragons, kill them immediately, recover from wounds later, but burns immediately if possible. Also use lots of ranged attacks. It does not pay to use melee, hardly ever. I have yet to lose a game to them with any group I've played with.

Also remember that the cards listed for each scenario are OPTIONAL and the rulebook even mentions that you may pick them how you like. Sometimes, I think the picked cards only work for certain groups, or just make the game more challenging than it needs to be. Picking certain cards has sometimes made the difference for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Kopp
United States
Lake Mills
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always play a game on "beginner mode" and add 1 less power per turn. As soon as the game is too easy, or looks like it is well in hand switch back to the regular rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hickey
msg tools
mbmbmb
retupmoc258 wrote:
Sealing away Shadowrifts gets you heroism for everyone (I somehow forget that rule). Heroism with 4+ games tends to get distributed fast to everyone. I've even run out.

Actually, you only get one heroism when you seal a shadowrift. Not one per person. Its a grammatical issue that I know can be confusing*, but its how it goes. See the Rules section of the forum for clarification.

*This is the confusion: "Heroes take a wound" gives every hero a wound. But "Heroes gain a heroism" allows the heroes, collectively, to gain one heroism. It would be better phrased as "All heroes take a wound" and "The heroes gain a heroism."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
retupmoc258 wrote:
No, "the party gains a Heroism" after sealing a Shadowrift. That is only one Heroism for the person with the Heroism marker. Anderson said as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.