Subject: Help in choosing a game with high interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has been playing a lot of euro's and we enjoy them, but I think we are all getting ready to insert a game or two into our rotation that has a bit more direct interaction, and is less multiplayer solitaire, but not a total dicefest.

I don't know where to even start looking, so I turn to you guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start looking at the 'party games': a lot of interaction, but very light, for example 30 seconds. Maybe a little bit more sophisticated on this front is Dixit.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply.

We are into weight and depth, middle to heavy strategy games are preferred, but for that reason, randomness and luck need to be minimized. Is this a possible combination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carson City would fit your requirements. Deep, strategic, but with plenty of interaction. It has city-building, role-selection, worker placement, and direct conflict. There's even an official 'low-luck' variant in the instruction book where no dice are used. It's a great game and a brain burner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador -- Lots of interaction, almost no luck. Every colony token has a different cash value. You place all the colony tokens except for 1 sugar, 1 gold, and 1 spice on the board, hidden in the colony locations. You will discover their values when somebody sails and discovers the new locations. That's it as far as luck goes.

Also check out Endeavor -- another game where once you have finished the setup, that is it for the luck.

Eclipse is good if you have 4 or 6, and if by 'interaction' you really mean 'we'd like to shoot at each other some'. Much more luck than the other two, but still plays like a Euro and not like a dice-fest.

Alien Frontiers is lighter than the above. Has lots of dice -- the idea is that each one is a spaceship that you dock into a berth on a space station. Since you can collect cards that let you modify your dice rolls --i.e. spend 1 fuel to add one point to 1 die -- there is less luck than you might expect. You can and should steal resources from each other. So there may be less interaction than you want but there still is much more than those who like multi-player solitaire can stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is great

I think what you are looking for though is The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximum interaction, moderate to heavy: Genoa may be what you are looking for. The interaction is through negotiations (and virtually everything in this game can be negotiated).

The game is at its most intense with the full 5 players. Every player less tames the game a little bit, so that with only 2 players it's actually sort of casual and mellow by comparison. (We love it with 5 and still really like it even with 2.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about El Grande or Rattus? The interaction is similar in both, but I don't know if it's the type you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great replies.

It will take me some time to sort through all these suggestions.

Carson City has been on my radar for some time now, but I won one of the BGG contests whistle and should be recieving a copy of Western Town, and this is the only reason why I didn't pull the trigger (pun intended) on Carson City a few months ago. Perhaps I should have.

I'm liking the look of The Resistance as well.

The others I haven't had a time to look at yet, but thanks for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading games might be what you're looking for:
Bohnanza is fairly light but it's a great game that's high on interaction
Genoa - medium-heavy trading game

What I refer to as "social/backstabbing" games might also fit:
The Resistance (sometimes referred to as BSG light)
Battlestar Galactica

El Grande is a great game, and these days it usually comes with the expansions, one of which is meant to up the interaction factor. (I haven't played the expansions yet so I'm not speaking personally here). But I don't know if I would consider El Grande to have more interaction than Catan: cites and knights which you've listed as your top game.

Edit: Also have you considered Race for the Galaxy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is great with 4-5 players and no dice.

Struggle of Empires is awesome if you have 5. I'm not sure if these are what your looking for. I think interaction is high on both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to get that feeling again...one that I think is common for many in our hobby.

A bit overwhelmed by the available choices...I WANT THEM ALL...but I know if I get them all, several will sit in shrink and never get played.

To figure out the perfect balance.

Pretty sure The Resistance is going to happen.

Our group fluxuates from 4 to 6 on a regular basis. We have our 4 player games, trending at Trajan Goa (the newest edition) and Village all pretty much solitare games. Our regular 5/6 player game is Dominant Species Which is a gem.

Genoa looks really good. We like auction/bidding and commodity speculation (We have over played Power Grid)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter worth anything?

I think I'm trying to target 5 players...if that helps limit your suggestions.

So far, The Resistance Struggle of Empires and Genoa seem to fit this bill nicely.

Is Carson City a must? This would be the second time that I say no to it, despite heavily considering it.

Edit:fixed typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Carcassonne in your top 10. Do you have any of the expansions? There are a couple that take the game from great to friggin' extraordinary. Seriously, these two make an outstanding game even better.

Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals
Carcassonne: The River II

For high interaction, maybe also:

Citadels---lots of screwage goodness
Pandemic---you've got to work together to do well
The Dwarf King---every group needs a trick taking game cool

dlikos wrote:
My group has been playing a lot of euro's and we enjoy them, but I think we are all getting ready to insert a game or two into our rotation that has a bit more direct interaction, and is less multiplayer solitaire, but not a total dicefest.

I don't know where to even start looking, so I turn to you guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anybody who is luke warm about Cosmic Encounter. If you like it, you really, really, really like it. Not only do you give it a 10, you like it the best of all the games you give a 10 to. But if you don't really really like it, you absolutely hate this game. I'd strongly recommend watching a video review like this one:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/549/cosmic-encounter/video-re... by Tom Vasel, who rated this his #1 game of all time. I think by the end of watching it you will either know you have to buy this thing tomorrow, or know that you never want to touch the thing in your whole life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I don't know anybody who is luke warm about Cosmic Encounter. If you like it, you really, really, really like it. Not only do you give it a 10, you like it the best of all the games you give a 10 to. But if you don't really really like it, you absolutely hate this game. I'd strongly recommend watching a video review like this one:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/549/cosmic-encounter/video-re... by Tom Vasel, who rated this his #1 game of all time. I think by the end of watching it you will either know you have to buy this thing tomorrow, or know that you never want to touch the thing in your whole life.

Thanks Laura, that video is what made me post the question. I stumbled upon it as I was trying to answer my own OP. What is your opinion of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the 'cannot stand it' camp. But I am a low-randomness, tons of strategy player, so really not what it was aimed at, at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never played Cosmic Encounter but I'm a huge fan of the "negotiating" type games as well.

Wealth of Nations is my absolute favorite. Calandale is currently doing one of his marathon video sessions on the game, though watching Tom Vasel's review (2 vids, watch both) was sufficient for me.

I've never played Genoa but it's one of the greats for Euro negotiation (outside of economic games like 18xx, Chicago Express, etc)

If you want something more cutthroat and backstabby, Tammany Hall will be in stores in a few weeks! A great thematic game with no luck

The Manhattan Project is an excellent worker placement medium weight euro, but allows you to directly mess with others in the form of espionage (use 1 or more buildings on another player's tableau so he can't use it until you retrieve your workers) or air strikes (permanently make the other player unable to use one or more of his buildings, unless he uses a precious action and precious money to repair his buildings). Can get dickish but anyone who uses airstrikes just to piss people off will lose. Also, unlike Agricola, you can often take spots that you think others will want to use but the spot will help you as well.

Having said that, would love to try out Cosmic Encounter one of these days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alongside Dominant Species, Carson City is my favorite worker placement game (and one of top 10 overall), although admittedly there are tons of great games I have not played. I just looked up Western Town and as much as mechanically it seems like a very different game, the theme is almost exact. I can see why that discourages you. Carson city gets a bit chaotic with 5 players, but if you're a dominant species fan you obviously don't mind a little chaos. I guess I never really answered your question. It's a great game, and definitely worth owning. But depending on how much theme contributes to your experience, it may seem redundant to have two western games in your collection.
The resistance is great as well, but in our group it serves as a night opening filler. If that's what you're looking for, it's a definite 'must-buy'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hoon
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend The New Era. Very interactive and no dice at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Cosmic Encounter worth anything?

I think I'm trying to target 5 players...if that helps limit your suggestions.

So far, The Resistance Struggle of Empires and Genoa seem to fit this bill nicely.

Is Carson City a must? This would be the second time that I say no to it, despite heavily considering it.

You should still consider Carson City. As a Bonus, it works well with fewer than 5.

I'm jumping in here mid-thread, so I have to add +1 Genoa! As has been said, it loses a bit with each fewer player.

The Resistance is interactive but you may find it has limited replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I knew it long ago...Carson City it is. Along with The Resistance because its cheap as hell.

Thank you guys for making my Sunday mission easier.

Peace Brothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL probably Genoa too. F%$# it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun. Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Late Entry!

Brass: Lancashire

It is pretty much all about interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.