Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Counters To Sleep? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
Quick and easy question for you here - are there any counters to the "sleep" condition (for a non-Priestess mage) that exist in the game?

Played as the Wizard today, and had my 16 cost Gorgon Archer, put to sleep for a miserly cost of 8. Was out for the rest of the game!

I know the Priestess can remove conditions, as part of her abilities, but is there currently anything to dispel it for the non-Priestess characters?

I guess you could electrify/lightning bolt your own creature, in order to wake it from its slumber!

Thanks in advance,
Ewan.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Hi there,
Quick and easy question for you here - are there any counters to the "sleep" condition (for a non-Priestess mage) that exist in the game?

Played as the Wizard today, and had my 16 cost Gorgon Archer, put to sleep for a miserly cost of 8. Was out for the rest of the game!

I know the Priestess can remove conditions, as part of her abilities, but is there currently anything to dispel it for the non-Priestess characters?

I guess you could electrify/lightning bolt your own creature, in order to wake it from its slumber! :)

Thanks in advance,
Ewan.


Yep - as of right now, without the priestesses special, you have to damage your own creature to wake it up.

There are a number of options for low damage attacks, and the low damage AOE ones are good choices to counter sleep, as they generally allow you to damage some enemies as well.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
right now it's broke, plain and simple.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
right now it's broke, plain and simple.


Why?

Makes sense to me quite cool that you have to damage your own creature to wake it up!

I don't think every mage should have the ability to remove conditions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kergenramirez wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
right now it's broke, plain and simple.


Why?

Makes sense to me quite cool that you have to damage your own creature to wake it up!

I don't think every mage should have the ability to remove conditions.


Yeah, doesnt really seem broken to me either. Think about what else you could do for the equivalent mana in terms of attack spells.

Sure, you can sleep a crappy creature for 4 mana, but chances are you are spending close to what they spent to summon the creature, and the creature is not out of the game. It might cost them an arcane zap or a melee attack from a cleric or something similar, but you just delayed the creature and did a miniscule amount of damage.

Its a good spell, no doubt, but perfectly in line with the mana cost.

Now, if you refuse to attack your sleeping creatures, it is very good.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that Level 1 creatures are great for waking up your sleeping minions. Low mana cost and an additional action. Just a minor tweak to your original plan should have your sleeping beauty back in the fray in no time.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
I have found that Level 1 creatures are great for waking up your sleeping minions. Low mana cost and an additional action. Just a minor tweak to your original plan should have your sleeping beauty back in the fray in no time.


This works great.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the question and all of the responses!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
right now it's broke, plain and simple.


Not a chance on this. I have used the heck out of it and usually the enemy creature loses 1 action at most. Some times it gets to take that action anyhow if somebody damages it.

So, you spend the mana on sleep, lose the card for the rest of the game, and you MAYBE deny 1 action out of the intended target. You will certainly get 1 action out of something, but not necessarily the intended target.

You give up the spell points in the deck too.

Good card, but not broken. Just damage your creature as soon as possible with a weak attack. Do this as fast as you can. The longer the creature sleeps, the better the sleep spell has become.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Belado
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
right now it's broke, plain and simple.


Have to disagree. Its an annoyance at best and I would love to see someone stack sleep spells in their book as it means that there are far worse spells they are not bringing to the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Bird
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I had Goran put to sleep, so I popped Death Link on him. Woke him up, and gave my Warlock some extra rounds. A couple Vampiric Attacks on Goran dealt with the damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
right now it's broke, plain and simple.


Not at all. Spend an action and hit your guy. Do it ASAP! Do it before the creatures next action if you can. Either do it or don't do is what I say.

brettness37 wrote:

I had Goran put to sleep, so I popped Death Link on him. Woke him up, and gave my Warlock some extra rounds. A couple Vampiric Attacks on Goran dealt with the damage.


Hilarious. But I think you are limited to 1 vampiric attack.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Bird
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Vampiric Strike a few turns in a row, not stacked Vampirisms.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Desano
msg tools
Hi guys, question about removing sleep w/ attack..

is it enough to hit the sleeping target's armor to wake it up? Cause we are arguing whether we have to inflict life damage or roll a successful attack is enough to damage its armor to wake the sleeping creature.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Please see the definition of sleep in the codex. Ending sleep requires damage.

There is no concept of damage to armor. Armor mitigates damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.