Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest removing the Force Field card and the Transport Tunneler card as the Force Field card is just too powerful (at least in our first 2 player game.)

Had my first play of this today (2 player game) and my opponent got the Force Field card about 1/3 of the way through the game. Of course he placed it on his Base Camp which resulted in I could never steal from him and had no catch up mechanism the rest of the game. I kept waiting for the Transport Tunneler card to show up, but it never did. It was the last card in the deck, naturally!

Obviously if each player can manage to possess one or the other of these cards it would be balanced, but then what's really the point then?

We decided in our next game we would remove both of these cards. I was just wondering what other opinions are on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorry, but it seems to me that you played the game only once before declaring a card too OP, right? If so, why not give it a try?

But more importantly...there are 2 ways of breaking the shield (death ray). Also, you can pressure him into moving his base. Start attacking all other tokens, and he will need to move his base to a resource generating place.

In all, I suggest you give more tries to the game before calling something OP...you will see that the force field makes enemies VERY quickly

P.s: I normally place my force field on a drill in a somnium mine. It gives one free somnium per turn, so I need to heavily defend my second one and I win in 4-5 rounds! Much stronger than avoiding 1-2 possible steals of my base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that first game my opponent had the Death Ray too! Now that I think about it, I made a mistake early on by not acquiring enough resources. This gave me no card buying power in the early game. My opponent was buying up all the cards which certainly gave him the upper hand. I guess I didn't think about that until just now. The game has more strategy than initially meets the eye. So you are right, one play is not nearly enough experience to suggest anything is over powered.

We played our second game tonight without the two cards and I did like it better, but with your advice and with realizing my mistake, I certainly want to use the cards again. Your post was very helpful, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

A quick question about the Cave tile. Do you suggest using it? My first thought was that it would make the game easier since the harder to acquire mountain tiles would be easier to conquer. Am I correct? I want to try it in our next game.

Over all I love this game. I can see this is going to hit the table a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You let your opponent have BOTH the death ray and the force field? Shame on you!!

Now seriously, notice that those cards are 3 somnium AND 8 energy cubes...if you let him accumulate that many resources you did something wrong. I understand this happening in your first plays but you will soon see how to avoid that.

My suggestion: start by saving 2 energy and 2-3 somnium so I can snatch & grab the force field of death ray if they ever appear. And watch out for your opponents that do the same! Do not let them earn a lot of somnium per turn!

As for the mountain...sure, why not? It only helps the explorer so mountains do not become SO accessible. In any case I play with the expansion that recommends both tiles numbered 7 (and extra tiles). I really recommend it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That second game was much better and very close, I won with 11 somnium and my opponent had 10. Yes I did mess up royally in that first game. I can see now that saving resources and somnium for the must have cards is extremely important. Thanks for the tips! Can't wait to try it with the Cave. I really want the expansion but being in the US may make that a bit of a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.