Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cathedral» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about the correct placement of buildings to create a surrounding area rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
01neo01
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
mb

Last day, playing with my GF, we had an argument about the correct placing of buildings to create a surrounded area.

She said that for creating a continuous wall for surround an area, buildings must be conected using the natural line of the pieces.
Example: The surrounded green area of the image would not be legal (on her opinion), because buildings on the red circle are not conected "continuously", they are "paralell".

I said that rulebook does not especifi so clearly that issue, and that any same color piece creating a wall are considered conected and so, able to create a surrounding are.

So... is the example image legal to create a surrounding area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
They simply need to touch side to side. (An important point is that diagonal / corner-to-corner touching is not enough.)

I can't even begin to imagine how to clearly define the fuzzy notion of "using the natural line of the pieces".

E.g. would she say that the following combinations are touching "using the natural line of the pieces": ?

AABBB
A

B
AABB
AB

AABBB
AA

(What is "the natural line" of the 2x2 square piece, or the zigzag piece?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
01neo01
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
mb

Yeah, she didn't know well how to explain neither (and my english maybe is not so accurate to explain to all of you ).

I think that her general idea is that she thinks that parallel contact between pieces is not allowed for creating surrounded areas(as in my image example).
"The natural line" concept for her is something like that pieces must be connectec using the end-point of each piece.

For example (in put in Bold the end-point of each piece):

AABBB
A
allowed

__B
__B
AAB
A
allowed

__B
AAB
A_B
not allowed

___B
AABB
A__B
allowed

In your examples... she would say:

AABBB
A
allowed

B
AABB
AB
up and down B's has moved to the left rigt?, maybe you meant this:
__B
AAB
A_B
allowed

AABBB
AA
allowed, because the 2x2 piece is like a wild card for her and her "natural line" theory.

I say to her that she was over-thinking the rules: Pieces has to be in contact to create a wall (except corner-to-corner), being allowed her "in line" concept and also the "parallel" contact. Right?
I understand that "touch side to side" includes also "parallel" (my image example), right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
01neo01 wrote:
I say to her that she was over-thinking the rules: Pieces has to be in contact to create a wall (except corner-to-corner), being allowed her "in line" concept and also the "parallel" contact. Right?

Right.

Another way to look at it: each piece is made of some squares. If 2 pieces have at least one square which is touching side-to-side with a square of the other piece, then that's enough for making a wall around territory. But if the squares are only touching diagonally (at corners, not sides), then it's not enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps there is something poorly written in the Spanish rules, but I can't see any argument for the natural line rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
01neo01
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe there is some poor redaction in spanish rules.
Anyway, thanks for the answers!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.