Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started looking into an abstracted campaign idea with the idea of being able to link numerous battles together into a bigger picture. No doubt, as with Memoir '44, something similar will be properly published at some point but until then I'm going to try and work on something.

My plan is to create a simple map of Portugal/Spain with a number of battlefield images, one for each area of the countries. The French will begin in the North of Spain and the British/Portuguese forces in Portugal itself.

The two players can split their forces between their leaders and, for each month (or "turn"), they can move leaders around a map. If opposing leaders are moved into the same "area" then you zoom in to the battlefield for that area and a battle takes place. It's up to each player how important winning that battle is and can retreat off the board or whatever (rules to be worked on of course). If an army moved that turn they would start with one less command card to simulate their fatigue.

Anyway, the main point would be that the French need to capture some Portuguese cities. The British start with only some of their units available. Every turn (or however long) they can bring in another unit through Lisbon as long as they hold the port, so the French will try to cut the British reinforcements off by taking the city.

Thinking that once a piece is dead, it's dead (new leaders can take the place of dead leaders though). The players can condense their forces or reinforce. They can spread out their leaders or bring them together for a hammer blow.

It would not capture history as battles would differ to historical set pieces and forces would be split up differently and numbers would be out of whack. However, I'd hope it would capture the feel of the period and allow a little bit of ongoing strategy, interspersed with, of course, lots of the actual game itself!

I'm going to do it anyway but I guess if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions then that would be good to hear.

Yes I know it's blasphemous for reshaping such a rich and interesting series of battles, skirmishes and so on but I guess it becomes a LITTLE more like Total War: The board game, which might be nice sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY like this idea! I really like the memoir 44 campaign system and always wanted to see a version for ancients or Napoleon! I even took a map of Spain out and tried to find Rolica and a few other battles and it was pretty tough to link up for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't averse to borrowing from C&C Ancients, I played this campaign and enjoyed it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/549146/third-servile-war...

Essentially it takes published battles and links them into a series with minimal effort but an overall outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and as a subsequent thought, a campaign that featured the Spanish and the wearing down of the French forces might be a real feature. The campaigns of Blake (or Blake 7 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback so far!

I just want to be able to play the game but with results affecting future battles. It means that instead of just going for a certain number of points to win, one player might actually consider losing two units enough of a reason to run away/retreat in good order. It would make decisions weightier.

Just need to make sure that I can set it up so that players aren't TOO negative and reasons so that players don't just send the full weight of all their units crashing down in one battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out RB's foray into campaign rules, as seen in Exp 4.

http://www.ccancients.net/Rules/Expansion-4/new-game-mechani...

The "para bellum" rules are intended to string battles together. His example is the three day battle of Nisbis, with troop "recovery" happening the nights in between...

http://www.ccancients.net/Maps/Roman-Persian-Wars-Various-92...

But his notes suggest another situation more like the sort of campaign you are talking about.

Might give some insights into areas already considered and covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.