Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone come up with ideas on how to solo the FFG classic version? I'd like to give it a try to get a feel on how different it plays from the standard version. I rather have some end conditions that provide some challenge, than just playing to 2000c.

Some random thoughts:

an automated merchant ship with random movement, that prevents you from interacting with other cultures?

Modifying challenge cards to work in the classic version, although a timer mechanism would be needed...

Please discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no-one bit on this, as I'd like to do it too.

I don't think it'd be that hard. You could just keep a score sheet and try to maximise your profit each time, like aiming for a high score. Alternatively if you feel the need of a goal to work against, you just need to set yourself a turn limit for getting your 2000 credits. What, however, an appropriate turn limit would be to make the game difficult but not impossible, I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite by chance I stumbled across a PDF of the original rules. Turns out it has a solo variant in the appendix based on an aggressive alien invading the cluster. May well be worth checking out, although you'll have to improvise some tokens by the look of things:

http://www.hexagonia.com/rules/Merchant_of_Venus.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but fans of the original didn't really like the Rastur rules, and FFG decided against adding them to their version. Something can be worked out with the pirates, perhaps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Up!

I just bought the game in view of both solo and the occasional multiplayer game. I'd rather learn the classic rules and forget about the standard rules for the time being. However, the manual says that the Classic game is only for 2-4 players.

Can somebody confirm that it makes sense to play the Classic game solo just to reach 2000c, at least as a way of teaching myself the game? Or would it be too boring and leave me with no desire to ever come back to MOV?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an old-time veteran, but playing the classic game just to 2000c would be a good exercise in learning the rules, but unless you have some sort of challenge against you, it's just going to be mindless - no urgency.

While the original's Rastur concept isn't all that great, at least it had the sense of "I need to try and optimize my engine quickly". To make the classic game work well solo, you'd need to do something like that, even if just imposing a time limit of x rounds or something (and perhaps trying to see if you can get it done even faster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

While the original's Rastur concept isn't all that great, at least it had the sense of "I need to try and optimize my engine quickly". To make the classic game work well solo, you'd need to do something like that, even if just imposing a time limit of x rounds or something (and perhaps trying to see if you can get it done even faster).

Thxs for your reply but remind me.. what's the Rastur concept? Assuming some aliens (Rasturs?) invade the system and end the game by turn 10 or something of the sort?

Yes, I know, I could search the forum/web, but for the sake of possible readers of this thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, every turn there's a chance a Rastur invader token can be placed on the map. These tokens act like penalty ovals, but a lot of them are VERY expensive (100+). You can destroy them using the combat rules (well, some of them at least; the higher-end ones are a bit too strong to really kill).

The game ends if the last Rastur token is placed on the board. Until that time, you need to keep whittling the tokens off a little, and try to get to 2000c before it happens.

I've only played it once, but it can be pretty difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one way, but not as challenging as the Solo for Standard.

Simply play for 30 turns. See what's the most you can get.

For a different measure...every other turn a pirate comes out. See if you can get 2000 credits before all the pirate tokens are on the board...you CAN defeat them in which case they are taken off the board instead of being left on.

Combat would simply be roll all four dice for you, all four for the pirates. If they have the higher number multiply the difference by 10 and you lose that many credits. If you have shields it can reduce this by 20.

If you win they are taken off the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
For a different measure...every other turn a pirate comes out. See if you can get 2000 credits before all the pirate tokens are on the board...you CAN defeat them in which case they are taken off the board instead of being left on.

So this would be "all the pirates are on the board at the same time"? Otherwise, it would be a short game, since there are 8 pirates, and thus it would only take 16 turns

Where are the Pirates placed with this variant (which does sound intriguing)? Normally the Pirates are placed in encounter spaces as you fly over them.

This variant seems somewhat similar to the Rastur variant of the original (though much simpler). In that variant, if I recall, when a new Rastur is placed on the board, you placed it in any Orbit space that was not already occupied (or maybe it was Space Port or City). However, there were a lot more Rastur tokens in that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uh.. have tried the Classic version only once - solo and with no variants whatsoever (very dull indeed) - but how do pirates come into the picture, if at all? Aren't they Standard version only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
GreyLord wrote:

So this would be "all the pirates are on the board at the same time"? Otherwise, it would be a short game, since there are 8 pirates, and thus it would only take 16 turns

Where are the Pirates placed with this variant (which does sound intriguing)? Normally the Pirates are placed in encounter spaces as you fly over them.

This variant seems somewhat similar to the Rastur variant of the original (though much simpler). In that variant, if I recall, when a new Rastur is placed on the board, you placed it in any Orbit space that was not already occupied (or maybe it was Space Port or City). However, there were a lot more Rastur tokens in that, too.

That was my idea, something similar to the Rastur/alien invasion. Same idea as the Rastur...though I'd say any encounter space, in the new version. So, a lot of freedom to place them as needed...but at the same time can have a lot of pressure also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried the 30 for a money goal yet? I really like the original much better than the overwrought standard and I'd rather solo that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.