Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have heard of both Runebound and Runewars. I've read up a bit on both games but it is not clear to me what the difference is between the two. Obviously, it's two different games with two different sets of rules. But, they seem to me like two variations of the same kind of game. What am I not understanding about the difference between the two games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're completely different games. Runebound is an RPG adventure game where each player controls a hero fighting monsters, getting items, leveling up until you're ready to defeat the big bad. Runewars is a war game in the vein of a simplified Twilight Imperium, where each player controls armies fighting for territory and trying to control dragon runes. While it's true that Runewars also has heroes who explore the map, this is very much a secondary and vastly simplified mechanic to compliment the war game (some people think it's tacked on, but I like it).

I suggest downloading and reading the rules to each to get a better idea.

They're both great games depending on what you're in the mood for. If you were only looking to get one and had a good group of 3-4 to play with, I would lean towards Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami S
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Second Edition) is a game you where you control a character that you level up, he have HP/stat/etc. You fight monsters, obtain gold and reward for defeating them. Once you're strong enough you want to be the first to defeat the dragon, or a certain number of high level monsters, and win the game. With some of the expansions the game end might be different.

Runewars is a game where you control armies/heroes, produce resources and fight your opponents to conquer their land. The aim is to control a certain number of runes.

Both games are set in the same world, you will find heroes/items from Runebound in Runewars, but that's where the comparison stops. Runebound is a pseudo RPG, Runewars is strategy game. The confusion might arise from the fact that you have heroes in both games. In Runewars, heroes are but a small part of the game, you can use them for some actions to help you get runes, but you need your armies and your strategy to win the game, while in Runebound, everything is centred around your hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound, typical Adventure game with leveling of Characters and fighting Monsters. Think of Talisman but with a better map and movement rules, and TONS OF STUFF!!

Runewars, typical light Wargame with Area Control and some side Quests but it's all about conquering territories and waging wars. Think of Warrior Knights but with lot's of loaded non-sense.

Those two games are very distinct. Runewars have some light elements of Runebound with the side quests and Runebound doesn't have anything of Runewars in it.

If you want to pick one, Runebound might be the best choice because in the genre of Runewars there are a lot of better games to pick from instead of Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
...If you want to pick one, Runebound might be the best choice because in the genre of Runewars there are a lot of better games to pick from instead of Runewars.

~ cough .. choke ~ I'm a late-comer to this game but Runewars is one of the best in this genre - the card phases, the units abilities, the level of initiatives in battle are superbly done ! (and don't forget the minis for those that like pretty things)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
If you want to pick one, Runebound might be the best choice because in the genre of Runewars there are a lot of better games to pick from instead of Runewars.

I'd say the exact opposite. There are much better adventure games out there than Runebound, and not much that tops Runewars in my book (simply being a fantasy-based dudes-on-a-map game doesn't put a game on equal footing with Runewars — it has too many different things going on IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to all for clearing that up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Thanks to all for clearing that up for me.

So which are you - RPG adventurer or light wargaming general ninja?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About Runewars:

Runewars is just Warrior Knights in Terrinoth. It has more steroids but all the mechanics are there. And comparing both games, Runewars is much more clunky than Warrior Knights.
And I give you three games in my collection that top Runewars: Cyclades and War of the Ring (Second Edition), adding up Warrior Knights, of course.

About Runebound:
Which Adventure games are better than Runebound?
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) that feels like a Monopoly variant.
World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game that is dull game.
Prophecy that is a polished version of Talisman.
Mage Knight Board Game that you'll need to be a rocket scientist to read and interpret the rules.

For me Runebound is top when it comes to Adventure games.
It offers you free movement (sometimes movement dice can be tricky), it offers you freedom of choice and difficulty of your encounters, it has LOTS of expansions that really adds something to the game and the Character Decks are the best way to improve interactivity.
The only negative point I see in Runebound is the downtime between players, if played at 3 or 4 players, but a way to keep you in the game is the use of Character decks.

Also, because it's simple and fun.

I've bought Runewars even knowing I would dislike the game, I gave it several game sessions and tried every faction and the game didn't gave me anything I already had in Warrior Knights. In the end I sold my copy of Runewars and I'll keep adding Runebound expansions as long as FFG produces them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
About Runewars:

Runewars is just Warrior Knights in Terrinoth. It has more steroids but all the mechanics are there. And comparing both games, Runewars is much more clunky than Warrior Knights.
And I give you three games in my collection that top Runewars: Cyclades and War of the Ring (Second Edition), adding up Warrior Knights, of course.

Total rubbish ... please get this man eurogamer out of my sight sauron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
oDESGOSTO wrote:
About Runewars:

Total rubbish ... please get this man eurogamer out of my sight sauron.

Explain.

Eurogamer as gamer from Europe?! Totally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you a solo gamer isaacc? Runebound plays very well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.