Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited February 27th: Added some assets for the Capture the Flag scenario.

NEWEST DEV UPDATE IN THIS THREAD: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11531353#11531353

Good day, BGG!

I'd like to introduce my upcoming "print and play" travel tactics game called Rumble Tactics. The basis of the game is that I wanted to make a tactics game that was affordable, portable, and customizable. I wanted to be able to play something at lunch with a friend and while at a restaurant.

Having it both completely free to print and play and also offering a super affordable DIY solution (I make the pieces for you or you use the free files and own tools) I think makes the game more accessible.

I took the tactics strategy genre and tried to boil it down to something quick, yet pulling influences from miniatures games that I also enjoy.

The part I'm working on now are the units and factions, which will be the component that require the most balance and testing. Having the core system in place is reassuring.

Up To Date Rules: http://www.rumbletactics.com/pdf/RT_rules.pdf

QUICK PLAY RULES: http://www.rumbletactics.com/pdf/RT_quickplayrules.pdf

MAIN SITE:
http://www.rumbletactics.com

Unit Tokens Concepts:

Unit Cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lougheed
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: Rumble Tactics - Travel Tactics System
This isn't a type of game that I have played before, but I have a few comments.

- It looks like fun.
- I really like the art.
- It looks like it would be very portable. You would know better than me whether that is unique or not in this genre.
- How are you keeping track of wounds? Do units return to full health so often that players can rely on their memory, or is there some other way to keep track that I am just not seeing?

And a few nitpicky things:
- There are a few typos. I am pretty sure, in the 2nd paragraph of the Deployment section, that you actually mean "player" when you wrote "play".
- I got a bit confused in the activation section because you indented sections to show which sections are subsets of which. I understood eventually but maybe you could try some different method when your sections aren't all on the same page (which makes it harder to see whether a paragraph is indented with respect to the previous one).

I hope this helps.

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@eyeore: Totally makes sense. Still working out how to clean up the rules and make a QUICK PLAY RULES setup.

Still working on the equation for determining cost.

Also trying to figure out the initial release of Factions:
- Cirqo (circus themed)
- TBD Fairy Faction (fantasy)
- TBD Undead Faction (undead, zombie, necro)
- ...?
- ...?

Sad Clown Card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When a unit attacks another unit, the player rolls d6 equal to the Attack value on the Unit Card for each target.
A die result of a 4, 5 or 6 counts as a successful hit. Rolling doubles of a 4, 5 or 6 counts as an unblockable hit.
So say I roll double 5s. Can I choose to have it be two successful hits instead of being a single unblockable hit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Quote:
When a unit attacks another unit, the player rolls d6 equal to the Attack value on the Unit Card for each target.
A die result of a 4, 5 or 6 counts as a successful hit. Rolling doubles of a 4, 5 or 6 counts as an unblockable hit.
So say I roll double 5s. Can I choose to have it be two successful hits instead of being a single unblockable hit?

Funny that you ask. I was play testing the other day and I ran into this case. The rules have been updated to read:

"Rolling doubles of a 4, 5 or 6 counts as an unblockable hit. The unblockable hit is part of the successful hits, not in addition to.

Example: Player A rolls a 4, 4, and 5. There are a total of 3 successful hits, 1 of which is unblockable."

Will need to continue to test units to see if this is a good thing and if it heavily affects Attacks to update the "Cost" calculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QUICK PLAY RULES: http://www.rumbletactics.com/pdf/RT_quickplayrules.pdf

QUICK QUICK PLAY OVERVIEW
TURN ORDER
1. Players randomly determine which player will go first.
2. Players deploy their units within their deployment zone.
3. Players take turns activating their army's "Ready" units, alternating players between each unit.
4. If the win/loss condition has not been met, a new Round begins.

ATTACK: Roll d6 = Attack Value. Hits on a 4, 5 or 6.
DEFENSE: Roll d6 = Defense Value. Blocks hits on a 4, 5 or 6. Hits not blocked wound the unit.
HP: How many wounds a unit can take before being defeated.
ATTACK GRID: Pattern of which a unit MUST attack (so positioning really matters as you can hit friendly units too).

Check out those Quick Play rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Had an opportunity to do another play test of Rumble Tactics the other day. I printed out some of the Unit Cards and used a Dungeons and Dragons Map Pack for the battlefield.

It was a better play experience this time around. The few units that were in the game were definitely better balanced. I'm excited to try out more of the units that I have in the "master list" for the first release.

Some upcoming units: zombies that have no defense at all, but require a 6 to actually kill them (got to headshot the walkers to kill them, of course). There's also the zombie master that gives those slow zombies buffed stats. Adding a few ranged units too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Do you still want any help brainstorming ideas for more factions? Because I, for one, would like to see things like:

--A Robot Army
--Ninja Lizards
--Tech Geeks (low hit points, but they can deploy sentry guns or disorient their enemies with audio assaults)
--Dwarves. Because dwarves are freakin' awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Sweet! Do you still want any help brainstorming ideas for more factions? Because I, for one, would like to see things like:

--A Robot Army
--Ninja Lizards
--Tech Geeks (low hit points, but they can deploy sentry guns or disorient their enemies with audio assaults)
--Dwarves. Because dwarves are freakin' awesome.

That's one of the key parts I need to emphasize in the game's description and "marketing". Once I get the equation hammered down (as best as possible), anyone can make any units they can think of. As long as the players agree to allow those units to be played with, then it's all good.

Plans are to be like the Mugen community (2d fighting game engine for PC) where People upload random characters and you have a Street Fighter-esque game with over 100+ characters. These armies can expand infinitely. Like in the "Welcome Message" in the rules, sometimes you just want to play with certain types of characters, even if they play exactly the same as another.

Examples of "fan made" cards (the stats aren't costed correctly):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the DIY Unit Tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look great! Looking forward to this.
On another note, where can I find those wooden discs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alexandersshen wrote:
Check out the DIY Unit Tokens!

Those are pretty nice.

I used the exact same kind of discs to make two-sided "stay/leave" selectors for Unnamed Object. I colored the edges black with a Sharpie, then just glued my printed circles to them.

Easy to make sturdy markers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I had some time at lunch today to draw. Here is an "in progress" look at the Prince of Pies. He's the first unit I've made that has a ranged attack. He is part of the Cirqo faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
Those look great! Looking forward to this.
On another note, where can I find those wooden discs?

I actually linked a certain type of wooden discs over on the Rumble Tactics Site: http://www.rumbletactics.com/?page_id=22

Includes links to the paper punch I use and the sticker tape I use (I don't use glue for fear of shrinking the paper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a few different Battlefields for play over at the main site (rumbletactics.com). These Battlefields don't have any fancy art yet, just grids and some with terrain elevations.

You can grab them here too:
http://www.rumbletactics.com/pdf/RT_basic_battlefield.pdf
A basic 8×10 Battlefield on flat terrain.

http://www.rumbletactics.com/pdf/RF_LFS_Cliff_8x10.pdf
A Battlefield with a centralized plateau, sharp drops on the edges. Good for pushing units to their death.

http://www.rumbletactics.com/pdf/RT_LFS_Valley_8x10.pdf
Two armies start atop a hill and rush down to the valley for combat. Ranged units have an advantage shooting from above. Death from everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

New unit for Cirqo and a new Battlefield to play on! This time it's actually illustrated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's another image/card for the Cirqo faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "tactics" mean, in the sense of a genre of games?

Is it the same thing as "miniatures wargame"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:

I read it as referring to the genre of videogames which are emulating miniature wargaming (at the skirmish scale) but with discrete movement over a square grid - e.g. Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
apeloverage wrote:

I read it as referring to the genre of videogames which are emulating miniature wargaming (at the skirmish scale) but with discrete movement over a square grid - e.g. Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and so on.

That is exactly it. Think of the wargame "Dust Tactics" by Fantasy Flight Games. It uses miniatures on a discrete grid system (vs. free-for-all movement via measuring tape).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic! Love the artwork and the gameplay looks solid, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

If they were just 'geeks', they could cause enemy units to miss turns by quibbling about the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandersshen wrote:
Some upcoming units: zombies that have no defense at all, but require a 6 to actually kill them (got to headshot the walkers to kill them, of course). There's also the zombie master that gives those slow zombies buffed stats. Adding a few ranged units too.

You could have zombies go into a 'feeding frenzy' when they're next to a dead unit, giving them a chance of being unable to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandersshen wrote:

It was a better play experience this time around. The few units that were in the game were definitely better balanced. I'm excited to try out more of the units that I have in the "master list" for the first release.

Catching up on your progress...liking what I'm seeing! As a fellow game designer working on a tactical miniatures game, I would like to encourage you to keep it up!

Agreed that getting the balance of units is a tricky thing. You have to account for the min/maxing that will inevitably happen but still provide enough variety to let players play the type of character(s) they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Was able to get through a good playthrough today at lunch using the Quick Start load out. It took 30 minutes. We played on a cafe table. I lost. Overall it was a good play session.

Some things I learned today:
- Using paperclips to denote HP is a good way to condense the area cards take up on a table.
- Bases for the tokens need to marked in some way (color, pattern, etc.) to stop confusion between players
- Rule: If you get doubles of a 4 (which is an unblockable hit), but the target unit causes all attack rolls -1, then it becomes doubles of a 3 and thus is a miss. Damn that Hammer Fairy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.