Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan M.
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent some time thinking about the villains that I enjoy playing against and the ones that I don't. One of the biggest factors for me was the amount of just plain annoying cards in the villain decks. The cards I hated the most were ones that destroyed all of the equipment or ongoing cards, and the ones that brought back tons of cards from the villain discard deck. I went through each villain deck and did up a chart to illustrate the amount of those cards I found.

Warning: The chart below contains mild spoilers about the contents of the villain decks.

I came up with some weighting for each of the factors (purely subjective on my part). I used:

Destroy Equipment/Ongoing
All 5
H (can be H-1, H-2, etc.) 3
X (usually >1) 2
One 1

Bringing Back cards from the villain discard pile
More than one 10
One 4

Grant Immunity to all damage 2
Reduce Damage by one 1

That resulted in the following Annoying Scores:

Apostate 73
Matriarch 49
Chairman/Operative 46
Gloomweaver 46
Grand Warlord Voss 44
Citizen Dawn 39
Ennead 18
Omnitron 15
Akash'bhuta 15
Ambuscade 8
Baron Blade 8
Spite 5
Plague Rat 0

Some thoughts:

I don't really find Apostate all that annoying to play against. The Apocalypse cards I counted as a Destroy All Equipment and a Destroy All Ongoing, but in play they are far less annoying because they also destroy villain cards and environment cards. The Bring Back cards also aren't as bad as some other villain cards. The Imp Pilferers can be annoying, but are fragile and easy to take care of.

Spite and Plague Rat are more annoying than their score shows. Plague Rate because of the Infections, and Spite because of the indestructible drugs; neither of those counted at all in my chart.

Otherwise, I think this shows pretty well which villains are the ones that are most fun for me to play against.

Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is great...but you are forgetting cards like "bring from reserve" (the operative is very annoying in that sense), or "damage when a villain card is destroyed" (again operative plus matriarch)

Will further think of annoying stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
What annoys me most is irritating effects that can't be removed. Backlash Field was okay when it was a card in Baron Blade's deck that was only occasionally in play and could be destroyed, but the Chairman having an always-on equivalent effect is really irritating. The same goes for the Operative and Matriarch's "take damage when a villain dies" effects and, well, most of Spite's drugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Anthony
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that chart is just awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the metrics need adjustment.

Clear outliers - Gloomweaver is a punching bag, and not that much of an annoyance. As you've noted, Spite and Plague Rat should be up there as they have some of the most annoying mechanics. I think it would help to bring in some additional scores. Salty summed up and important one perfectly that has no presence on your matrix: Effects that you flat out can't deal with.

I think those things are the greatest annoyance (along with mass destruction of Equipment/Ongoing) because they feel beyond control. The best that can be done is to work towards minimizing them with damage control and planning - you can't just cancel them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M.
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone asked me about updating the chart with the most recent villains, so here is the new chart. I have not updated any of the metrics yet as that would entail going through all the decks again, but I do have that on my to-do list.

Updated Annoying Scores:

Apostate 73
Matriarch 49
Chairman/Operative 46
Gloomweaver 46
Grand Warlord Voss 44
La Capitán 42
Citizen Dawn 39
Miss Information 27
Ennead 18
Iron Legacy 18
Akash'bhuta 15
Omnitron 15
Kismet 14
Ambuscade 8
Baron Blade 8
The Dreamer 6
Spite 5
Plague Rat 0

Some thoughts on the new villains:

No surprise that La Capitán ranks highly given the composition of her deck. The Dreamer ranked lowest, but her deck is very unique and doesn't fit well into this kind of analysis. Note that some of these villains have abilities on their villain cards that can have annoying effects (like Miss Information), and that is not reflected in the scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.