Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see on the official FAQ that this ability has been changed to allow a FREE barrel roll. I am interpreting this to mean that it does not count as your action for that turn, but since it clearly says "Action:" on the card, it must be performed in the action phase.

Is this the case? I see that there is discussion on this board about Vader being able to barrel roll twice, and that has been shot down. But now that the action is free, I understand that it can be comboed with other actions by any ship, not just Vader who gets two actions.

However, since you receive a stress marker if you can't normally perform a barrel roll, then you would need to focus first, and then use the free Barrel Roll, receiving a stress token after you did so. Am I understanding that right?

I thought that giving an X-wing the Barrel Roll ability was really good, but now that it is a Free action, that almost seems too good. Is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a "free action", to use Expert Handling, you still have to use it as an Action. What this Action gives you is a free barrel roll action, as well as shake off a target lock. This means that if you had 2 actions (like Vader) that other action cannot be a barrol roll action, since you cannot perform the same action twice in a turn.

So, Expert Handling:
- requires an action to use.
- gives you a free barrel roll action.
- after the roll, if you don't have the icon you earn a stress token.
- remove a target lock.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

So, Expert Handling:
- remove a target lock.

-shnar

Thanks. That's how I understood the card before and I thought it was clear, so I didn't understand why they had to update the text to call it a Free action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was to clarify that you cannot use the card to perform two barrel rolls in one action phase (it wasn't explicitly a barrel roll action before, just free barrel roll as a result of using the card as an action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was odd too, but I guess some people thought that it was an action to do Expert Handling then another action for the Barrel Roll, so this clarifies it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cotter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I thought it was pretty clear too, but if you check out the FFG forums there is a long thread dedicated to the topic. Basically you had a bunch of guys who really wanted Vadar to have the ability to do two barrel rolls and used all sorts of convoluted rationale to validate their interpretation of the rules..thus the FFG clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shnar wrote:
It's not a "free action", to use Expert Handling, you still have to use it as an Action. What this Action gives you is a free barrel roll action, as well as shake off a target lock. This means that if you had 2 actions (like Vader) that other action cannot be a barrol roll action, since you cannot perform the same action twice in a turn.

So, Expert Handling:
- remove a target lock.

-shnar

Thanks for the clarification.

I played with someone earlier in week who was using it to barrel roll and remove target lock for free as he argued it said it was a 'free action', then doing another action!

I had my doubts immediately but as often is the case I couldn't find a counter argument in the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.