Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: New Rules for KS reprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Zero
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Just wondering when these new rules are going to be posted. I would like to see these changes before pledging. Also can we please see some new artwork. To start a campaign without a decent video, artwork and rules is crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chozza wrote:
Just wondering when these new rules are going to be posted. I would like to see these changes before pledging. Also can we please see some new artwork. To start a campaign without a decent video, artwork and rules is crazy!

Seconded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Falch
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chozza wrote:

The artwork in the current video on Kickstarter is how it will appear. The soldier poses will change but the style is as presented.

The weapons and action cards are also how they will be laid out. Art will be slightly different on action cards but style is same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Zero
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you Rik. What is the ETA on the rules being posted. Also will you be posting any new artwork? And if so when? I'm afraid that artwork in the video is copyrighted and is almost identical to the efforts of the unofficial retheme. Who is doing the artwork on the action cards? The artwork at present is also copyrighted with many photos and pictures ripped from the internet. Even just one or two cards would be nice to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/864292/ron-volstad-to-do...

You're right that the artwork on the fan-based "reprints" are ripped from the internet, most notably from the boxart on model kits from Dragon Models. However, Ron Volstad is the artist behind most of those too. So having him on the team is really a good catch.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a vet UP FRONT player you really dont want the action cards to be too "busy" and the Artscow or whatever cards suck .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billingspike wrote:
As a vet UP FRONT player you really dont want the action cards to be too "busy" and the Artscow or whatever cards suck .

Totally disagree. You do realize the center of every action deck card is unnecessary to play the game right? All you need is the top section and the bottom section of every card. The center just adds some nice chrome to the game. So I can't see how someone can possibly be distracted by the images in the center when you don't even need to look at it to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DiploGuy wrote:
billingspike wrote:

Totally disagree. You do realize the center of every action deck card is unnecessary to play the game right? All you need is the top section and the bottom section of every card. The center just adds some nice chrome to the game. So I can't see how someone can possibly be distracted by the images in the center when you don't even need to look at it to play the game.

I agree with billingspike. When I look around the gaming table during a game I often look at the images not the text to see what is going on (for example, what terrain my opponent is in). I am playing with the Artscow decks. Some of the cards are very nice and clear like the sniper card. The movement card is not good as it shows many of the soldiers firing and it is too busy. The art would be nice mounted on a wall, but is too detailed for on a card. The RNC numbers might as well be bigger on the cards as those need to be readable from across the table. It looks like the fire power and fire strength numbers are easier to read on the Kinckstarter version than on my Artscow version -- nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lehr ,, yes most of the cards are ok ,,the movement is way "busy" and the wire card looks almost pleasant,,sniper looks cool,,,.Hey nothing I cant get used to.I,am used to the FIRE , MOVE ,RALLY,cards in black and white ,,terrain in color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caius wrote:
Chozza wrote:

The artwork in the current video on Kickstarter is how it will appear. The soldier poses will change but the style is as presented.

The weapons and action cards are also how they will be laid out. Art will be slightly different on action cards but style is same.

Hi Rik,

What about the rules? Can we view them before pledging?

Thanks
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lehr wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
billingspike wrote:

I agree with billingspike. When I look around the gaming table during a game I often look at the images not the text to see what is going on (for example, what terrain my opponent is in). I am playing with the Artscow decks. Some of the cards are very nice and clear like the sniper card. The movement card is not good as it shows many of the soldiers firing and it is too busy. The art would be nice mounted on a wall, but is too detailed for on a card. The RNC numbers might as well be bigger on the cards as those need to be readable from across the table. It looks like the fire power and fire strength numbers are easier to read on the Kinckstarter version than on my Artscow version -- nice.

Thirded; the art needs to be less busy, and having multiple images per action is a disaster, IMNSHO, as it delays instant recognition of the hand and board state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:
Lehr wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
billingspike wrote:

Thirded; the art needs to be less busy, and having multiple images per action is a disaster, IMNSHO, as it delays instant recognition of the hand and board state.

What you play speed rules for Up Front? Who needs instant recognition? 1 second longer than instant won't even be noticeable. When you see a building, even if it's 1 of seven different buildings you know it's a building card. When you see someone holding a rifle and the muzzle is flashing you know it's a fire card, even if it's the 3rd of 5 different designs. I'm confident this will not be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
What you play speed rules for Up Front? Who needs instant recognition? 1 second longer than instant won't even be noticeable. When you see a building, even if it's 1 of seven different buildings you know it's a building card. When you see someone holding a rifle and the muzzle is flashing you know it's a fire card, even if it's the 3rd of 5 different designs. I'm confident this will not be an issue.

Busy super-cool artwork can be a problem: just check Radiant Games Valley Games' Titan reprint (which is, indeed, gorgeous, but the creatures are rather hard to distinguish)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:

Busy super-cool artwork can be a problem: just check Radiant Games Valley Games' Titan reprint (which is, indeed, gorgeous, but the creatures are rather hard to distinguish)

Sure busy artwork could be a problem. I just don't think multiple scenes per action will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.