Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried using the Wild Die mechanic from the West End Games Star Wars RPG in Star Warriors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wild Die came out with the 2nd Edition, and Star Warriors was out in 1st Edition. So it's not official, and unless you were merging this with the RPG, I probably wouldn't add it. It kind of requires a GM to interpret the die roll. However if you are combining it with the RPG, then you could easily add it.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reminding me the Wild Die came out in 2nd Edition.

If the Wild Die was added to Star Warriors, no interpretation by a GM should be needed.

If a 1 is rolled on the Wild Die during a Skill Roll check, the Wild Die and the highest-numbered die are removed from the Skill Roll check. The remaining dice are totaled to determine the Difficulty Number is matched or exceeded.

If a 6 is rolled on the Wild Die, a 6 is added to the Skill Roll check and the Wild Die is rolled again. Repeat if another 6 is rolled.

If a 2-5 is rolled on the Wild Die, that number is added to the Skill Roll check.

Use of the Wild Die should be considered optional and agreed to use by all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:
If a 1 is rolled on the Wild Die during a Skill Roll check, the Wild Die and the highest-numbered die are removed from the Skill Roll check. The remaining dice are totaled to determine the Difficulty Number is matched or exceeded.

This is where the "GM interpretation" would have been needed. In the RPG, when the wild die rolls a one (seemed to happen a lot in our games ), the GM was supposed to make some kind of complication happen. You didn't remove dice from the total at all, and you could still successfully do whatever you were attempting. Our GMs usually made the complication affect the plot of the current campaign. For example, the heroes are searching a locking space dock for someone they're tracking. They rolled a 1, the GM decides that in addition to them searching, there's another bounty hunter there searching, and he doesn't like rivalries. A firefight ensues.

However, switching the 1 mechanic to simple meaning "rolling less" might work to overcome the "GM interpretation". Play with it for a bit, see if you like it. I'm still not sure I'd like it in my games, but that's what house-rules are for

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
That's not the only way the Wild Die works. There has always been two options when rolling a 1.

When you roll a 1 on the Wild Die, it is called a Mishap. Mishaps take two forms, either a penalty or a complication. The penalty takes the form of subtracting the wild die and the highest die rolled. A complication leaves the dice as rolled but adds some kind of complication like your shot hitting the target but your blaster malfunctioning and requiring you fix the problem before the weapon can fire again.

The GM is supposed to pick one of them. Complications are more interesting, but penalties are easier and quicker. The option of just subtracting the Wild Die and the highest roll are what they chose to use in Star Wars Miniature Battles from WEG. They knew that a complication mechanic really wouldn't work in a miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I never realized there were other options for when rolling a 1, I had to look it up. There's actually three options: Do nothing, subtract lowest/highest, or complication. We've always just played complications.

Back on topic, since there is no GM to make the choice-of-three, the second choice is probably the best for Star Warriors

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.