Hide
1 Posts

City Hall» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Got a chance to play at BGG.con rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N K
msg tools
This will be my first review of a game so please forgive any formatting issues. I shall do my best.

I personally rank games by theme, learning curve, mechanics, and innovation.

THEME

The game's strongest point is here. The names of the cards, the layout of the board, the roles, every little token and card drip theme. I couldn't ask for much more from a theme except 3D pieces but hey, I could ask that of a lot of games.

LEARNING CURVE

It helps to have the game's designer there to teach it to you, but the players at are table were off and running in less than 10 minutes. There are 7 roles to choose from and you need to understand them all before you start, along with the Political Power mechanic.

MECHANICS

There's no extraneous stuff here. The game is really streamlined to play smoothly and quickly. I hate waiting a long time between turns but with political power mechanic, you're involved in every other player's turn which admittedly go pretty fast. If anything, I would almost want the game to be even more complicated because I can see replayability becoming an issue.

INNOVATION

I play a lot of games so I want something new from a game before it gets in my library at this point. City Hall brings something new. With the right players I can see things becoming very political at the table as you realize someone is getting out ahead. I was losing after some early bad decisions but never felt out of the game and in fact came back pretty strong by the end.

OVERALL

I give it a 7.5/10. As a well-detailed worker placement game, you could easily swap this for any of your game night staples and have a good time. Feeling like a real estate mogul in New York trying to bank political capital is pretty exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.