Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the hero that is in prison can't be used, I got that. But for the purposes of player elimination,is that captured hero still "alive"? It seems to cause problems either way.

Either yes, they are alive and that player just keeps drawing cards and not doing anything else but can play with other allies already in play. This causes problems with engaged enemies. (In the game that I have paused to write this the extra ally is a Daughter of the Nimrodel who had already healed and therefore couldn't defend the hero who died from two undefended attacks.). Do the engaged enemies stay engaged? And then the DotN can just keep healing and never defend and die, which would keep those enemies engaged and not doing any damage?

Or no, that player is eliminated even though the prisoner is still alive. The problem with this is that the game is over even though the other player still has heros that could conceivably rescue the prisoner to keep the other player in the game.

I know this game is lost either way, so it may not matter but I always want to fight it it to the last breath.

How do you play this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... that is a bit weird, indeed.

Technically, the player would not be eliminated (the hero is not killed, he is still there (just face-down, and cannot be used/damaged/collect resources)).

But what happens, if an engaged enemy is undefended, and you have to damage a hero?

Maybe you could play it like this: Any undefended damage raises your Threat instead.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a thread on this a while back and my memory is that the official answer was given as an interim ruling that the player is eliminated if your last remaining hero is the captured hero (ie they wanted to think about it more before going official).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what happens with the Nazgul then?

Since the prisoner won't be there any more (since the player has been eliminated), and thus cannot be "rescued" consequently, will the Nazgul just stay out of play?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if the player is eliminated then the game would auto-defeat because you can rescue the captured hero anymore, which is one of the conditions to beat the second stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I played it out as a compromise. The engaged enemies where treated as if the player was eliminated (i.e. they went back to the staging area). I let the player keep playing just as the Daughter of the Nimrodel. The two surviving heros of the other player had to counter 7 enemies on the next turn, and needless to say things turned out badly for our heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Look the last FAQ on FFG web site. If you last hero is captured hero you keep playing, draw cards, add threat every turn and wait while other player rescue your hero. But if you are last player in the game then game is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I just looked into the FAQ 1.3:

Quote:
Q: If all of a player’s heroes (except for the captured hero) are destroyed during the Escape from Dol Guldr scenario, is that player eliminated from the game?

A: Yes, the player is eliminated, and the players (as a group) have lost.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Oh, I just looked into the FAQ 1.3:

Quote:
Q: If all of a player’s heroes (except for the captured hero) are destroyed during the Escape from Dol Guldr scenario, is that player eliminated from the game?

A: Yes, the player is eliminated, and the players (as a group) have lost.

Bye
Thanee

While it sucks to loose while there is "still hope," this is the cleaner solution. Way to make the already hard, just a little bit harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.