Talisman (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: TALISMAN 3rd Ed. The Knight Templar and dice ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SENES Alain
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The knight templar can relaunch a die when he pray !
but when or where can he pray ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I Do not have that expansion.

What does the character information say specifically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWALIN_DRAGONFER wrote:
The knight templar can relaunch a die when he pray !
but when or where can he pray ?

The word "Pray" is just for flavor.

The Knight Templar's "Pray" can be used once during the Knight Templar's turn. It can also be used during each of your opponents' turns (for example if they attack the Knight Templar).

You don't need to be in a specific location to use the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that anyone prays in the Temple, in the Chapel and at the Shrine (card-place). So, there his re-roll comes in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SENES Alain
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

thank you for your advice !

I think that is the good write of the rules.
In this 3rd Ed, there are not dice to use at the chapel and at temple it's not indicated that the character pray.

sorry for my bad english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SENES Alain
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the former message of the forum, it is mentioned that the capacity praying of the Knight Templar serves only with the shrine card ! gulp

Can confirm ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SENES Alain
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello !

The boss of Talisman Island, confirmed me that the capacity of the Knight Templar limits to relaunch the die in places where he is "supposed" to pray. The shrine, the temple, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DWALIN_DRAGONFER wrote:
Hello ! :)

The boss of Talisman Island, confirmed me that the capacity of the Knight Templar limits to relaunch the die in places where he is "supposed" to pray. The shrine, the temple, etc.

hm? The Templar card merely says "You may ignore the result of your first dice roll and roll again when you pray. You must accept the result of the second dice roll." There is no mention at all the Temple and Chapel locations.

If following only the word pray. Then *only* the shrine mentions praying. You may not pray at the Temple or Chapel as they make no mention of praying. The Chapel just mentions being healed, or harmed, and the Temple only mentions rolling for a result. Those may be logical places to pray. But the game itself does not grant that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SENES Alain
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He said to me "supposed", that is where we can pray.
And in the supplements as Dungeon of doom, there are cards who indicates that the character pray.

I do not know that it is the most exact application. But to relaunch a die every round seems to me to be too much to the advantage of the Knight Templar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If gong just by the adventure card entries with pray on them. Out of the box it is the most useless ability ever if you never get any of the expansions. Shrine is it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
If gong just by the adventure card entries with pray on them. Out of the box it is the most useless ability ever if you never get any of the expansions. Shrine is it.

I just want to point out that in this edition they "streamlined" (understand: omitted) some things, and praying in the temple or chapel is one of them, as it is there in 2nd and 4th edition both.

In my games, the Templar can use his bonus in three places. In your games, people... well, you can let him suck or grant him a proper ability - it's all up to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SENES Alain
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these three places ?

I think that you are right. It is just an omision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Dorn
Germany
Regensburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, the answer is quite simple!
The game writers made a mistake during streamlining the rules.

The ability of the knight templar should be the ability of the knight from the 1st and/or 2nd edition. Praying means especially praying at the chapel.

However, during streamlining, they removed the possibility of praying at the chapel. Now, the ability is more or less useless.

Solution: You have to decide, what to do. You have to set up some house rules if you like.

E.g. reroll at the temple and the shrine (and similar places/cards if there are any) - still, not very powerful.
or
As someone else suggested: you can pray always (quick prayer!) e.g. during battle -> you can reroll one die/turn. In that case, the ability would be VERY powerful (too powerful in my oppinion).

This or that case ...
the characters don't have to be balanced in my opinion. It is part of fun of talisman that there are weak and powerful characters.

To keep it short: I think it is just an unintended misktake! You have to deal with it as you see fit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.