Subject: Antioch - Kerbogha, Reinforcement activation question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for this one - probably me being dense, but I've read the section in the Battle Book several times and managed to convince myself both ways on it.

In the Antioch battle, when Kerbogha attempts to bring on reinforcements, is the reinforcement activation a separate roll to any 'seizure' or 'continuation' roll. The rule section says that there is a -1 DRM if rolling to activate reinforcements if this is a 'free' activation - where there would normally not be any need for to roll against a leader's activation number, so that would imply that when seizing or continuing you have to both successfully roll to seize or continue and then additionally roll for reinforcement activation.

However, the rule section also says if the attempt is made as a continuity attempt, it is treated as a failed roll and play passes to the Crusader. This suggests that the roll attempting to seize the activation is the same as the roll to activate the reinforcement, so there is no successful seizing roll followed by an attempt to activate the reinforcements.

I am guessing that both of the above are correct and that activation of reinforcements on a Free activation is an additional die roll you would not normally make, whereas the activation roll for seizing and continuation is regarded as the reinforcement activation if that is what the Turk player has specified he is doing.

In writing this down I think I've nearly convinced my self there, which was also part of the reason for doing this.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until at least four (4) Reinforcement Groups have entered the
map, any Turk Free Activations must be used for a Reinforcement
Activation attempt.

If less than four reinforcement groups have enteted the map, you'll roll against Kerbogha's rating with Free Activations. If you succeed or fail, you may still roll for continuity with some other leader.

You can also try to seize or roll for continuity with Kerbogha(as well as with other leaders) but failure is a failure and it's then Crusader player's turn. Just remember that you can't activate Kerbogha twice in a row just like any other leader.

Example: I roll for Kerbogha with Free Activation. I fail or succeed. I roll continuity for some other leader. I succeed. I roll continuity for Kerbogha. I succeed. I roll continuity for some other leader...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
domus_ludorum wrote:
I am guessing that both of the above are correct and that activation of reinforcements on a Free activation is an additional die roll you would not normally make, whereas the activation roll for seizing and continuation is regarded as the reinforcement activation if that is what the Turk player has specified he is doing.

In writing this down I think I've nearly convinced my self there, which was also part of the reason for doing this.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

This is exactly the way it was intended to be played. Also note that Mr. Roadhouse has pointed out that the restrictions about activating the same leader twice in a row do apply to Kerbogha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerbogha rolls during a Free activation to bring in a reinforcement group and succeeds. The Activated command moves on to the board. The Turks want to roll for a continuation, can they pick the just moved onto the board command as you are using the newly brought in leaders activation and not Kerbogha?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
zhodanicommando wrote:
Kerbogha rolls during a Free activation to bring in a reinforcement group and succeeds. The Activated command moves on to the board. The Turks want to roll for a continuation, can they pick the just moved onto the board command as you are using the newly brought in leaders activation and not Kerbogha?
Indeed! The sentence:
Infidel Playbook 1.2 wrote:
When a Reinforcement attempt is made, it counts as an Activation by Kerbogha, not the reinforcing leader.
means that the reinforcing leader can be the next leader chosen for Continuation. In fact, for the first successful reinforcement, that reinforcing leader is the only option to chose for a Continuation attempt since you cannot chose Kerbogha twice in a row (from the Continuation rules and the Antioch Turkish reinforcements rule).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way we played it but needed that at a boy pat on the back

When reading the bit about commands we where wondering if Kerbogha made the units that formed up the command the mandate and not a different leader. We are clear on it now.

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.