Subject: Help me pick a party game for Thanksgiving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm going to the In-laws for Thanksgiving. We'll be there all day. Last year I brought Apples to Apples and it went over pretty well except for a couple stick in the mud's that didn't want to play (I think they were intimidated). This year I thought I'd pick a different game. There will be about a dozen people ranging from 5 to 65 years old. I've been doing some research and I've narrowed it to a few games.

Wits & Wagers: I think the gambling look of the game might draw in some of the adults that wouldn't normally play a party game.

Telestrations: It sounds like it would be really funny, but I think half the people wouldn't play. (Social anxiety runs high in some members of this group).

Dixit: Since there's no text it seems like it would be more inclusive to the youngest kids.

Word on the Street: Since it's played in teams, some who wouldn't normally play might feel safer in a group.

Any thoughts? Am I missing a good game in my list of candidates? Anyone out there with a similar situation? What are you playing this Thanksgiving?

This year I'm thankful for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is always a hit, and works for any age level really, so I recommend that. Also, Things... is pretty hilarious and fun. Another one that people seem to enjoy that has similar mechanisms to A2A is Bubble Talk, but employs pictures that you match funny speech bubbles to.

Happy Gaming and Thanksgiving!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Telestrations and just tried it out with the family of 4 and it was pretty funny. I dont think high anxiety would have a problems with this game,Not a lot of interaction ,just peek at the card to get your word and draw and pass the booklet. I was at target and it was on sale for $22.00 and I seen for black friday sales it will drop to $18.00 for that price I say give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
The Resistance: Nothing kicks off the holiday season like a little family backstabbing fest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your owned games list, I think you should bring a "just-in-case" children's dexterity game like Animal Upon Animal, Sorry! Sliders, or Looping Louie for the kids who may struggle playing some of the more advanced games.

However, we always play Dixit with my seven year old. Apples to Apples is too difficult for my 7 and 9 year old boys.

I think you have a great list of games. I wish I could play party games with my family over the break. We are planning on bringing a dexterity game like PitchCar Mini or Villa Paletti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant stand dixit. Word games always do well, and so does wits and wagers. I choose word on the street and w and w.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll vouch for Wits & Wagers, but I'd also recommend Pow Wow. We played it at Thanksgiving last year, though it only plays 8 out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utcarver wrote:
The Resistance: Nothing kicks off the holiday season like a little family backstabbing fest...
As much as I like The Resistance, it's only up to 10 players and I'm not sure how well a 5 year old would do in this game...

From what I'm told Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) goes up to 12 people, also has backstabbing and seems more kids-compatible to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with Dixit since some of the kids aren't readers yet and I thought they wouldn't have much chance at Wits and Wagers either.

I also picked up Pit. I've heard it can be pretty crazy fun and I think this group would enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.