United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was a befuddling wizard vs. a temple based priestess. The wizard tries to move stuff around and use the Darkfenne Hydra as his primary creature. Teleport traps, teleport, jet stream, and force push can get you tangled up with him and his vicious triple strike attack.

Nothing sexy there, just big creatures, lightning attacks and a ton of movement based ability.

The Priestess uses the Temple of Light along side the Hands of Bim Shalla. That is one path. The Priestess fights very well also, and can summon a variety of creatures. My buddy doesn't like to use the Temple of Light so he goes the creature path this time.

Round 1:
The priestess goes first. She summons an Asyran Cleric and a mana flower. I summon the arcane ring and a mana crystal. I end with 14 mana.

Round 2: I drop a Blue Gremlin and harmonize for the crystal. The Priestess calls in a Royal Archer and a hidden enchantment for herself. I have 27 mana starting this action phase.

Round 3: The first Hand of Bim Shalla hits the table and the various creatures start fighting amongst themselves. The Blue Gremlin trades strikes with the Asyran and I add a lightning bolt with another mana crystal. The Priestess stays in the corner with her archer. I end with 14 mana.

Round 4: A pillar of light ends the Blue Gremlin. I summon a teleport trap and a Darkfenne Hydra. I am in the middle when I do this. I drive myself down to 8 mana. The lowest I go all game. I clearly need to work on using my mana better.

Round 5: The Priestess summons the Staff of Asyra and a second Hand of Bim Shalla. I move the slow Hydra forward but summon Huginn and another teleport trap. The priestess is trapped in the corner behind 2 traps now. Her Royal Archer is there with her. Super Turtle so I need to react to that.

Round 6: The priestess goes mage wand with seeking dispel on it and starts picking off my Teleport Traps. I cast a lightning ring and then a wall of fog so my hydra and I can approach with out being targeted by the Archer. He actually moves his priestess as I am approaching his point of defense.

Round 7: I cast an elemental wand with chain lightning and teleport the royal archer into the same space as my Hydra. He summons Valshalla and I am feeling in all sorts of trouble.

Round 8: He kills Hugin with a Jet Stream. That was total luck and with Valshalla out, I am thinking I am doomed. In the mean time, I finish the archer with a Lightning Bolt and kill a Hand of Bim SHalla with the Hydra. He moves the Angel in and is ready to kill with it. I cast mage wand and put Sleep on it. Boo yah. I max my mana at 34. I need to look up the rules on going off the board with current mana.

Round 9: I cast sleep on the Angel. He moves his Priestess to remove the condition and casts Bears Strength on his Angel. I then cast a Gorgon Archer. The hydra moves to intercept and triple strike the Priestess. My mana is now 19 as sleep is costing me massively. No biggie though as I have a ton.

Round 10: He sleeps the Hydra but I zing it with my Arcane Zap. I sleep the Angel again with the wand, but not before the Gorgon Archer puts 2 weakness tokens on it.

Round 11: He believes he is doomed but we play 2 more rounds. He moves and dissolves my sleep wand. I Dispel the Bears strength on his sleeping angel and then cast a wall of fog to block LOS to it. I move the Hydra on him. Gorgon Archer moves to control the middle.

Round 12: He uses Divine Intervention to move to the other side of the board when I attack. Ugh. He then removes condition on the dang Angel. The Gorgon archer then puts another attack on the angel and adds condition of weakness again. The hydra moves back to kill the other Hand of Bim Shalla. I swap my spellbind on my elemental wand with plain lightning bolt and move towards the Priestess on the other side of the board.

Round 13. We quit as the Priestess concedes so we can get 1 more game in. 1 hour and 30 minutes with minimal damage on the characters, but I have a lock on the game a this point. It will be death by a 1000 cuts now.

The bottom line. My Wizard mana was rolling great and as such I was able to repeatedly do anything I wanted. The Hydra is a great value for the cost of 16, as is the Gorgon Archer. I prevented the priestess from playing the game the way she wanted to and made her react for much of the game.

That was only his 4th game. All with the Priestess. That was my 13th, and I have used all the mages except the Beastmaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Round 2, you're not allowed to Harmonize a Crystal/Flower. They have no innate channeling. Round 9, you can't move the Hydra and attack in the same round. He's Slow. Everything else looked ok.

Nice write-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yowza. For some damn reason I thought I could do that with the harmonize.

Round 9... my notes say I got in a triple strike. Maybe I got the move or the attack in the wrong round.

I don't know exactly the order of events, but I know I did not move and attack with the Hydra in the same round.

Thanks for the tip with the harmonize. That is a huge mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Williams
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It is a bit sloppy but tells the story.

We played a second game, Warlock vs Priestess. I quit taking notes after round 5, so I don't think I am going to be able to produce an accurate report on it, but it was a much better game with an actual finish. It was very, very close too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
Yowza. For some damn reason I thought I could do that with the harmonize.

Round 9... my notes say I got in a triple strike. Maybe I got the move or the attack in the wrong round.

I don't know exactly the order of events, but I know I did not move and attack with the Hydra in the same round.

Thanks for the tip with the harmonize. That is a huge mistake.

Easy mistake to make though. Harmonize is great, but only can be used on spawnpoints and familiars.

Good report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Great Write Up! Thanks!

Here is some clarification regarding Harmonize...

Harmonize
Harmonize can only target an object that has the
Channeling attribute. This object gains
Channeling +1.

Objects that would be legal targets for Harmonize:

Quote:

Battle Forge
Spawnpoint • Zone Exclusive
Flame Immunity • Hydro +3
During the Deployment Phase,
Battle Forge may cast one equipment spell.

Quote:

Gate To Voltari
Epic • Wizard Only
When Gate to Voltari comes into play, choose an
opponent Mage. Whenever that Mage casts and
resolves a spell, place 1 mana on Gate. During the
Deployment Phase, if there is 3 or more mana on
Gate, it may summon one Corporeal Arcane creature.

Quote:

Lair
Epic • Beastmaster Only
During the Deployment Phase, Lair may
summon 1 animal creature.

Quote:

Pentagram
Spawnpoint • Zone Exclusive •
Incorporeal
Epic • Warlock Only
Each time a different enemy creature is attacked and
damaged by a friendly creature, place 1 mana on Pentagram.
Pentagram may gain a maximum of 2 mana per round this
way. During the Deployment Phase, if there is 2 or more
mana on Pentagram, it may summon 1 Dark Living creature.

Quote:

Temple of Asyra
Epic • Holy Mage Only
Up to twice per round, you may have a friendly
cleric creature use a full action to place 1 mana on
Temple of Asyra. During the Deployment Phase, if
there is 2 or more mana on Temple of Asyra, it
may summon 1 Holy creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I understand. Thanks for the insight. I can't believe I have been playing it that way. As a positive note, I rarely go that path so I haven't made this mistake too often in the past! I have made it more than once though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Familiars are also targets for Harmonize, not just spawn points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I was using it right EXCEPT I was allowing it on the mana crystal/flower.

The familiar is a great card for the wizard and beastmaster. They are MUST kill when they hit the table.

Jet Stream solo killed Huginn this game. That was luck, but that is Jet Stream. Great against flyers and pushes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he push him into a wall? Or just kill him on straight damage from the spell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight up from the spell, total luck. Failed the defense roll and his 4 dice did GREAT damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.