Popular Tags: [View All]
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that when displacement occurrs, "land units and army leaders [...] are placed in the nearest fortified space controlled by their power".

a) Does "controlled by their power" include my allied powers (major or minor) or specifically only my own power?
b) What if my (or my allies) "nearest fortified space" is under siege? Can I displace into there?

My assumptions would be a) yes (does include allies) and b) no (cannot dispace into siege), but I just wanted to doublecheck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
(a) Yes for minor allies but no for major allies. The latter's spaces are friendly to you, but are still controlled by the owner.

(b) No, as you assumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dith Kok
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm new to Virgin Queen, trying to go through the rule book now(probably translate to Chinese as well), and found confusion in chapter 12.5 Displacement:

"When displacement occurs, any land units and army leaders occupying these spaces are placed in the nearest fortified space controlled by their power or in their capital (if under friendly control)"

Confused by last bit where "or in their capital (if under friendly control)", what does it mean if under friendly control here, does it mean allies capital? Or my own capital but controlled by allies(which sound weird to me)?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means units always have the option of displacing to their capital, provided it's either:

a) controlled by their power (this will usually be the case)
b) controlled by an ally of their power (should be fairly rare)

Consider this example: Spain and the HRE are allied, and have a stack of Spanish mercenaries and HRE mercenaries sharing a space in the Netherlands. The Protestants successfully rebel and take political control of this space, triggering displacement of the Spanish/HRE mercenaries.

Let's say it's early in the game and the HRE capital is still Vienna. The HRE mercenaries may displace to the nearest HRE-controlled fortified space or Vienna--but only if the HRE controls Vienna. If the Ottomans have captured Vienna, the only choice is to displace to the nearest HRE-controlled fortified space.

Consider a scenario--however unlikely--in which the Ottomans have captured Vienna, but then Spain (the HRE's ally) marched up and recaptured it. Now it's under Spanish control, but Spain has to wait until next turn's diplomacy round to cede it back to the HRE. Since Spain is an ally, this counts as friendly control, so the HRE mercenaries do have the option to displace to Vienna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dith Kok
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, now it's clear. Thanks for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.