Hide
3 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Some thoughts on Legendary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viet Tran
msg tools
Hey guys, just got legendary and have played it a few times. Just wanted to post my thoughts so far, and see how people feel about the game.

First, I really like components, the card art is really awesome and the box leaves a lot of extra room for expansions.

My first game was with the "Portals to the Dark Dimensions" scheme. After our first playthrough my friend and I had some questions about the rules to see if we got it right. But this scenario was strange because there doesnt seem to be any downfall for letting Villains escape. In fact we almost rather that they did escape so we could get rid of some of the heroes that neither of us wanted to buy.

The mastermind we played against was Mageneto, and we felt that it was strange whenever you attack the mastermind you get rewarded. It makes sense if it was a hard feat to attack the mastermind, but it wasnt that difficult to get up to enough Attack to attack him.

The game left us wanting more after our first playthrough. We didnt worry too much about the personal VP, which might have made us want to not let the villains escape, although its a group -1 to your overall score.

It just seemed weird that there was no real incentive to fight the villains in the city.

After my friend went home I played some solo scenarios that make you fight the enemies in the city, but they seem so easy to defeat there was no challenge and no sense of achievement after winning.

Ive ramped up the difficulty and even added some of my own house rules like drawing an extra villain card if you draw a bystander or strike or plot twist. because they dont seem to do enough to detract me from destroying. Most of the ideas to ramp up difficulty added in the book like +5 ATK seem like they would just prolong the game not actually make it harder.

Thinking through each scenario ive been trying to find ways to help the villain deck reach its win condition faster to give me a sense of urgency. For instance the "Secret Invasion" scheme i was thinking about making the city only have 3 tiles so the skrulls escape the city faster, because that scenario was really well thought out and fun, but i was nowhere even close to having 6 villains escape.

After reading through some forum posts it seems like many people feel this game is too easy, and i have to agree. However, the core of the game and its mechanics are really solid. I love the Scheme ideas and it really does feel like im in a comic book fighting through the different marvel storylines. They did a really good job with the license. Most of my gripes with the game could be fixed with expansions.

Anyway just wanted to give my first impressions of the game for anyone interested. With the issues i have with the game (and its mostly about difficulty) i still think its a great game for any marvel fan, Im very excited to see expansions and hopefully people will come up with cool variants to add some climactic turns to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback. Not to fear, expansions are on their way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Christiansen
United States
Mesa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel the same way. I've only played single player missions so far and it was fairly easy both times. The first time I played the bank scenario and fought red skull. I thought I was playing wrong because the villains were rewarding me for killing them.

It wasn't a challenge at all. It also seemed like half the deck weren't even villains since that scenario inserted so many bystanders and scheme twists.

The second round I played against Loki, who was at least a higher attack value. And I went with the legacy virus scenario. That one was at least closer. Not because of the scenario, but because I was getting close to going through the villain deck before killing him.

I agree, there's got to be a better way to raise the difficulty then just giving the mastermind more hit points.

Compared to other deck building games like Lord of the Rings and Thunderstone this is like kindergarden.

Hopefully the community can think of some good alternatives.

Bryce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.