Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Good for 2-players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will P
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The subject say it all is this a good 2p game. Thinking about giving to someone for Christmas. Is This aGood gift to give my husband?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays really well 2 player. 3 player somebody usually gets teamed up on which can be frustrating to the one, and anything 4 plus is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played a few 2p games. It is okay, especially for learning. I say okay, because I wanted it for more epic 4-6p games. Unfortunately I haven't seen too many of those yet, so gladly taking and enjoying any 2p plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I didn't think so at first, but now I like 2p Eclipse a lot since the games go faster, and games can't get wrecked by kingmaking (whether intentional or not.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and me like playing it with 2 players a lot - but then we often both take humans to keep it as fair as possible.

It is not as epic as a 6-player-game, but on the other hand far more aggressive, since you never have to fear a third player stabbing you in the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Richter
Germany
Siegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it as a 2 player game - it´s 1 - 1 1/2 hour of intense fun.

That said it really shines with 4+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Obviously anything 4p+ is going to be more epic, as the others have said. But 2p is still much fun, and scales very well. I was surprised at how well it plays out 1v1. It feels very much like an arms race, in that you're constantly reacting to the other player, trying to outgun him/her with better tech and ship upgrades. On top of that you have to be pretty smart when it comes to taking systems or leaving them behind, as you don't want to make actions too costly too quickly. Further, you're usually jockeying for a good position. Sometimes the fleets move around very dynamically, with sectors changing hands constantly. Other times you're in a cold war type scenario, where both players have their guns pointed but no one is making the first move.

Bottom line, gameplay and strategy can get very creative in 2p games. I say get it for him. You'll enjoy it nonetheless, and the game is so easy to learn that you can easily assemble a multiplayer game when you desire so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays great at 2 players. I must have 25 games in that way. Be aggressive as you can be and you will get tons of action in a 2p game.

I agree with demonhanz totally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.