Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player game. Ship advantage and cycling through the tech deck for the Plasma cannon. This has happened in the last two 2-player games and has soured my opinion of AF as a 2 player game. it becomes a prolonged race to cycle through the alien tech deck for the plasma cannon or the Temporal Warper to discard and sift through the discard pile for a previously used Plasma Cannon.

the player with the ship advantage will have a better success rate for raiders outpost and the colony constructor while also using the Alien Artifacts cycle ability to obtain one of the two mention techs, keeping the second player with three dice.

need to play this 3 or 4 player. I am over the 2 player experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the fist player to get a ship advantage in general is a huge deal in 2p. It's not like you win the game right there, but it's too close for a good experience.

The game is really much more nuanced and interesting with more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
You're having that much of an issue with it? There's only 2 plasma cannons (which are the only cards that reduce your fleet) and only 2 ways of getting them back from the discard pile. If your opponent is cycling that hard, he's not doing anything to actually win. Just keep plugging away with your 3 dice and you'll wreck him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds good. tried that. Only Two? once the Alien Artifact tech deck is depleted the discard pile is reshuffle and boom, more Plasma Cannon. with a ship advantage and cycling ability you can cherry pick the Plasma Cannon whenever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but my point is if he's playing all of his dice into cycling/buying tech cards, he's not playing any dice to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doesn't have to Constantly use the dice to keep the advantage, just when not building ships, raiders outpost or using trips to colony construct. and you are right in that it makes for a Looooong game with a bleak outlook for the 3 ship having player. that is all. lament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the AF game as 2-player. As 2 player it is a wrestling match, that is the way it is, and there isn't a problem with it. Most multi-player games break down when played as 2-player. This one doesn't. However, you have to play as mentioned above.

When you have 3 ships and your opponent 5, he has you in a head lock and you better get out of it fast! Plasma Cannon does the job. If he is keeping you pinned at 3 ships by destroying them, well he is on the way to winning the game and he should have been kept in check earlier. Reminds me of the ko-fights in Go.

If you are upset about this, don't ever play against the Corex Conglomerate faction. They are a blob which can grow and devour you if not kept in check. Since you are bored with the Cannon fight, do something different if you are behind in the colony race and push all of his colonies into 1 territory and claim all of the others. You will win.

Chris probably has more to say about this as well when he wakes up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kept in check earlier? sure, because i have the option of blocking him at the shipyard? oh yeah, i'd need doubles for that.

i like the game, maybe not as much now as a 2 player as before and i suppose we can always agree to disable the Plasma Cannon's discard ability. Ship advantage is one thing but when there's 5 or even 4 ships against 3, cycling through the techs is too easy and in a 2 player the player with the most ships already has a distinct advantage. this is all. ... or maybe this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBesOFURek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rando Shields wrote:
kept in check earlier? sure, because i have the option of blocking him at the shipyard? ...

No, because you shoot him with the cannon earlier when he has 4 ships, and not wait for him to get as strong as you mention. And there is plenty of other alien tech in the deck to help you out as well as hurt him. And one raid at the right time can ruin his day.

Now I am off to go play some games rather than just whinge about them on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
word. in MY opinion AF loses the fun factor (FOR ME) when it becomes a hunt for plasma cannons and a race to get the first pair of doubles for the shipyard as opposed to the cool worker placement/area control game it started out as...

merely sharing my thoughts brotha, no need to wag fingers and accuse me of crying.... it is unfortunate that you seem unable to grasp that this is an aspect of the gameplay I (myself personally) in a 2p game do not care for. so go play more games and keep your insults to yourself thankyou very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
So go play it with 3, 4 or 5 instead. Very different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, you need to ask yourself why you bothered posting this to the forum in the first place. If it is just to express your opinion, remember what is said about opinions and assholes...

Now, in an attempt to make this thread more constructive, since the Plasma Cannon cycling is causing you so much grief, misery, and pain, try the following:

1. Play with only 1 Plasma Cannon in the deck.

2. Make the purchase of the Plasma Cannon cost 13 in pips at the Alien Artifact (requiring 3 dice for purchase).

3. If the cost of #2 is too much where the Cannon isn't being purchased at all, try reducing the cost for the Cannon to 10 pips (2 dice cost 5-5 or 6-4).

Try these out a half-dozen times or so, and come back here and let us know the results. That would be constructive input to the AF strategy forum. Inflicting your opinion upon us, isn't.

...the trash heap hath spoken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
This is the AF game as 2-player. As 2 player it is a wrestling match, that is the way it is, and there isn't a problem with it. Most multi-player games break down when played as 2-player. This one doesn't.

I believe there is a problem hence the post.

Is balance broken with 2p game? Yes. Oh well, I play it anyway.

It is unfortunate because we were having a lot of fun with AF as a 2p game. Now we house rule the Plasma Cannon and merely disable it's discard function.

The games fun factor increases when played with 3 or 4.

When playing 2p we also remove 1 Holographic Decoy Card.

fbcsi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oz Iazdi
Brazil
Campinas
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rando Shields wrote:
Spittledung wrote:
This is the AF game as 2-player. As 2 player it is a wrestling match, that is the way it is, and there isn't a problem with it. Most multi-player games break down when played as 2-player. This one doesn't.

I believe there is a problem hence the post.

Is balance broken with 2p game? Yes. Oh well, I play it anyway.

It is unfortunate because we were having a lot of fun with AF as a 2p game. Now we house rule the Plasma Cannon and merely disable it's discard function.

The games fun factor increases when played with 3 or 4.

When playing 2p we also remove 1 Holographic Decoy Card.

fbcsi

Interesting houserules for a two players game. I agree with the idea that the Plasma Cannon and the reshuffle are both a shortcut to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.