Subject: More Sci-Fi, Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title suggests, I'm looking for science fiction-themed games. Here's what I already own, have played and will play soon:

Own:
Battlestar Galactica (love it)
Galaxy Trucker (love it)
Infiltration (like it)
Starship Merchants (like it)
Terra Prime (haven't played it yet)

Have played:
Nexus Ops (it's alright)
Eclipse (don't like it)
Supernova (like it)
Chrononauts (like it)
Perry Rhodan (love it)
Eminent Domain (undecided)

Will play soon:
Race for the Galaxy
High Frontier

I'm obviously curious about Twilight Imperium and Rex, but these games will have to wait.

What I'm looking for is less well-known or even obscure games which don't deserve oblivion. I don't mind conflict, but I'm not very interested in building fleets and rolling dice. I'm particularly interested in games which approach science fiction thematically in innovative ways. Science fiction is arguably a genre with unlimited potential, so it's remarkable that there's so little diversity in the sci-fi game genre. Anyhow, all recommendations are most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is great, hope you enjoy it.

Check out Battlestations. It's a coop vs. GM (referee) game that is kind of like an RPG but plays pretty much like a boardgame.

Each player controls a crew-member aboard the Players ship and embarks on missions. You man stations of the ship such as Helm, Missile Room, Guns, Science Bay, Hyperdrive, Engine room, etc. We usually do 2 players playing 2 crew members each and I referee, it's a ton of fun although the pacing can be slow at times. Nothing else out there is really like it.

Also, you haven't tried Space Alert? This is 2012, everyone should have played Space Alert by now. Play it, you will (if you're human) love it.

Also, I think there's more diversity in the Sci-Fi boardgame genre than most others. Certainly there's more diversity than in Fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cosmic encounter-best party negotiation game that is different every time you play it because of alien powers
battleship galaxies cool 2 player skirmish miniaturs game
among the stars- new and it looks to be like 7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android
Android: Netrunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately when people say "sci-fi" most people mean "fantasy in space," so...I feel your pain.

If you liked Galaxy Trucker, you might try Space Alert. Vlaada Chvatil designed both (and really you should probably just go ahead and try out everything he's done). With the right group, it is ridiculously fun. I haven't ever tried it with the wrong group, so maybe that's fun too? It certainly goes well beyond the realm of fleet building and rolling dice.

Ad Astra is brilliant. Imagine Settlers in space. Only this is fun, and there is almost nothing random about it at all.

Alien Frontiers. Haven't played myself, but it is sci-fi and supposedly fantastic. It is a dice-placement game about colonizing a planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Wright
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Really does seem like Android is the very thing you're looking for. No fleet-building. No dice. But definitely an innovative approach to science fiction gaming, in a way that takes real science fiction seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are definitely looking for Battlestations.

Android and it's descendants also are not your typical fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Escape] Is a fun 'area 51' game.

Mars Needs Mechanics is all super retro

RoboRally Because you like Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Core Worlds and Android:Netrunner need to get on your list for play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Unfortunately when people say "sci-fi" most people mean "fantasy in space," so...I feel your pain.

Yeah. And unfortunately when most people say 'fantasy' they don't mean 'sci-fi on the ground.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I frickin' LOVE Race for the Galaxy.

And you should too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alien frontiers.. dice game
Death angel .. coop card game

and what went wrong with eclipse?
and another vote for race for the galaxy,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X is awesome.

Definitely check out TI:3.
I picked up Merchant of Venus this weekend and my love for new and shiny things leads me to recommend it even though I'm 0-2 against the wife so far.

High Frontier is heavy on the science and light on the fiction but it's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Millar
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Core Worlds it's brilliant, and thematically inspired by the foundation trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernt N
Norway
Hakadal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am a big fan of StarCraft: The Board Game. It is very conflict driven though and you have to build an army of different units. It has imo a really good card system for combat, and it also implements a "tech tree" using deck building. It is oop though so don't know how easy it will be to find a copy in Sweden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanished Planet

It is a cooperative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't take the following comments as a criticism Meerkat, they are not directed at you.

We all have games we dislike. I usually just chock them up as personal preference and experience. I feel that the game ranking system works well here on BGG and I don't think I've ever felt the need to do this before.

BEWARE this game. I got suckered into playing it a few years back and I have never had such a horrible experience playing a game. The boredom, the uselessness of the whole thing...

Make arrangements to definitely try this one before you buy. And I'd recommend having an "abort" clause with whoever you sucker into playing this stinker with.

Meerkat wrote:
Vanished Planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoneplex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
As the title suggests, I'm looking for science fiction-themed games. Science fiction is arguably a genre with unlimited potential, so it's remarkable that there's so little diversity in the sci-fi game genre...

Well, to be fair, sci-fi board games are still board games and so are constrained by the limits of that medium. I recently gave a talk on sci-fi games to our local science fiction club, and started off by saying almost what you did - that its a genre of "infinite imagination". From that perspective the other medium (apart from books) that would most closely allow almost anything to happen would be a role-playing game. If you really need more diversity, perhaps that would be the path to explore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic Microgames:
Ogre
WarpWar
Starfire

Hybrid Rpg/Board Game Monsters:
Car Wars
BattleTech
Star Fleet Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Android wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Vanished Planet

BEWARE this game. I got suckered into playing it a few years back and I have never had such a horrible experience playing a game. The boredom, the uselessness of the whole thing...

Make arrangements to definitely try this one before you buy. And I'd recommend having an "abort" clause with whoever you sucker into playing this stinker with.

I have to stick up for VP here. I think "try before you buy" is good advice for any game, and I accept that there are many valid opinions about any game.

With VP, you absolutely have to have a good player aid. And you have to realize that the events can be swingy, and the cards are fiddly. Expect it to take 30 minutes per player after you know the game, and longer when you are learning.

BUT it tells a great story like few games do. It has all the tension you could want in a co-op, where things are likely to look completely hopeless at some point, and yet you get to a point where you just might win.

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong with the game of it that you played, android. My wife and I have played dozens of times, and it's the only game she regularly asks to play. It's the only game I have elevated to a 10 rating (despite its flaws) because I always enjoy it so much. I think most of the reviews (which were written before good player aids were available) are unfairly negative. It's not a game for everyone, but for some of us it's fantastic.

To the OP: Definitely get Terra Prime to the table, as it's a solid game. Beware that the first few turns can feel VERY slow, and depending on how you place the planets, the game can drag a while (EDIT: while things build up). if you can place those initial planets in accessible locations, resources will be plentiful and the game will move much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Target Earth is a fun co-op game. Nasty too, we've yet to beat it. But we only started playing it recently, and I'm eager to try again.

Also, it has a great X-Com feel to it.

+1 for Core Worlds. Have had a blast playing that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.